PDA

View Full Version : Paint just the plastics ?

gavsdavs
28-10-2013, 13:16
So - my red 1992 mk2 rev2 is like all red 1992 mk2 rev2s, All the reds under the sun.

Metal paintwork colour and lacquer surviving - needing attention, but still basically the same colour all over.

However, the plastics (spoiler, bumper) have faded to a duller colour than the body parts.

Don't really fancy the cost of a full body respray - do you think I could get someone to paint my plastics ?

How close a colour match can be achieved ??

Gavs

MMaddict
28-10-2013, 14:46
On my 1991 it's they way around, the plastics are perfect.

I'd suggest to do it all or not at all. You'll notice the color difference otherwise.

Telecaster
28-10-2013, 14:46
Mine is red too and turned pink and patchy.

Can't afford a respray which is really what it deserves, so used some of that T-Cut with the red colour in it and was surprised at how well it worked on both metal and plastic bits.

I was intending to give it a good going over with wax, but health issues got in the way so this hasn't happened yet.

Anyway, it's been standing outside uncovered for a couple of months now and you know the weather has been somewhat variable over this time and I'm both surprised and pleased to see that the red colour is still holding up very well.

synXero
28-10-2013, 17:07
Might as well give it hell with T-cut, mop, polish, colour restorer etc. before you plump for a respray. If it doesn't work to your satisfaction, spray it!