PDA

View Full Version : Mk3 > Mk2?

geoffmunt
06-10-2013, 22:31
Just had a thought the other day....

Mk3 is light, good handling, not so good looking.

Mk2 is better looking, bit porky, not so good handling.

So...noticing that the two cars are in fact quite dimensionally similar (I was surprised to note), and given that FRP panels are available for pretty much every part of the Mk2...and the Mk3 has fully bolt-on panels...

Would it be possibly to mod the Mk3 chassis sufficiently to take a set of FRP Mk2 panels? You'd need to mould up some rear 3/4 panels and a 'Mk2 hardtop'...and not too sure how the doors would work, but end result would surely be as light if not lighter than a stock Mk3 but with the good looks of the Mk2.

Or are fundamental things like the windscreen just in the wrong place? :eusa_think:

snowtigger
07-10-2013, 02:44
now that's a strange idea why on earth would the Toyota engineers think oh mk1 nice sporty short wheel base, admitedlly not a sporty enough engine.

hey lets make the mk2 fatter and because we need biger people to buy it, not just us small Japanese to fit in it like lets sell it to the Europeans and fat americans, oh wait it will need a bigger engine to get the lardy buts around lets make it look abit like a Ferrari as well then we can sell loads of add on body panels that look slightly different than standard, plus years from now people will even make them look like real Ferraris with these bodykits.

oh now after some research smaller more nimble cars are what we need less thirsty more fuel efficient but hold on didn't we make a convertible mk1 and a mk2 but we were too scared of accidents to make too many of them but hey ho we haven't got a sporty convertible lets do that for the mk3, plus the Ferrari idea worked so well for the mk2 cant we just copy that idea again?

hold on this guy may have an idea if we mash up all the different mr2 styles maybe what comes out will either be absolutely amazing or the biggest abortion job since the mk2 veilside kit, go for it I say roll those dice a coupe mk3 with mk2 style.

I think theres a trend here, what would blow peoples minds is a mk3 that looks like a mk1 now that would be an option.

snowtigger
05-11-2013, 17:50
Here's a brain fart I was having make a mk3 look like a mk1 as all the body panels are bolt on ish should be quite easy to do, headlights would be interesting ?

cdwood2010
05-11-2013, 18:39
Ok folks, for not the first time......

http://www.woodsport.org/forum/images/recovered/2005/04/52.jpg

widebodystarlet
05-11-2013, 19:02
Reminds me of the cl203 benz for some reason.

gavsdavs
05-11-2013, 19:20
Looks like a manx cat :(

Paul Woods
05-11-2013, 19:21
why ????? the MK1 handles way better than a MK3

As much as i adore the Mk1, this statement is not correct, the Mk3 is a better handling car than a Mk1, it has a 10 year old chassis design as opposed to a 25 year old one, i still prefer the Mk1 though.

MRV6
05-11-2013, 19:26
As much as i adore the Mk1, this statement is not correct, the Mk3 is a better handling car than a Mk1, it has a 10 year old chassis design as opposed to a 25 year old one, i still prefer the Mk2 though.

We knew all along.

snowtigger
05-11-2013, 22:22
Ah but a mk3 with mk1 styling now there's a winner in my book.