PDA

View Full Version : Potential guide?

HarrisonS23
13-09-2013, 16:54
Hey guys,

In the stages of planning my progress for an upcoming Mk1.5 project here. I have seen in my research a reference or two to very detailed write ups and was wondering if there were still existing links to these pages? All the one's I find seem to be dead. I've been reading everyone else's build logs and doing the best I can to plan everything out, even though I am still looking for a car to buy.

The only problem I am currently running into is the engine mounts themselves. I can understand I need to get rid of the old mounts and weld in new ones, but the barrier I seem to hit is whether anyone is still producing brackets that I can buy, or do I need to go and get some fabricated elsewhere which I can then weld in? All the leads I seem to have followed to far are really outdated.

I think that's everything so far but I will be continuing to raid the forum for more information and asking about as and when I need to.

Thanks for any help.

Charged
13-09-2013, 17:07
I'm sure a guide will be posted shortly but you should contact this fella: http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/member.php?4328-Lee-H

He will shortly have a Mk1 forsale with the 3S mounts already in.

HarrisonS23
13-09-2013, 17:35
That would make things a lot easier. Does anyone know anything about the car or do I need to ask him myself? Interested in colour and roof type, and general condition of the rest of the car, ie rust.

Thanks.

Charged
13-09-2013, 17:44
http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=173883

HarrisonS23
13-09-2013, 17:47
Thanks.

Tommytank
13-09-2013, 18:06
I'm in the middle of doing mounts... see here:

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?19502-Tommy-s-AW11-1-5-Swap!/page21

You can do the mounts yourself with an angle grinder and some sheet steel. Wont be quick, but its possible...

snowtigger
13-09-2013, 18:13
Always buy the newest least rusty mk1 you can find if its got rusty arches walk away or budget for a £400 arch repair both sides and a respray.

Engine bracket templates are in down loads but you have to be a big member to access these..

HarrisonS23
13-09-2013, 18:50
That's what I was thinking of in terms of buying a base car.

Well I'm not a big member but I could see some brackets in the downloads already? Am I to assume these were the wrong ones?

There is quite a wealth of information all over the place so that's why I turned here. Any idea of the rough cost of getting brackets produced?

Edit:
Looks like I will need the jig after all, I was trying to get around doing it with an engine crane, but not too sure how viable this is...

Tommytank
14-09-2013, 10:33
Harrison, I currently have the jig, but its owned by Phaeton on here. Give him a shout regarding rental!

HarrisonS23
14-09-2013, 17:56
Tommy, are we certain that it can't be done in a roundabout way using the engine on a hoist?

Bearing in mind I don't even have the car yet and am just trying to plan ahead. What is the waiting list like for the jig, and how much to borrow it?

Phaeton
14-09-2013, 20:23
Harrison it can be done without the jig like everything can, but I'm told it's far easier with it, it was made by Paul Woods & it places the engine in the right place for all the component parts to line up. Theoretically it's a simple job, you remove engine, cut off existing mounts, put jig in, weld in new mounts, fit engine. Without it, you're going to have to hold the engine in 3D space whilst you make up & weld in the mountings I think Paul said typically 4-5 times of engine fitting without it.

Costs are in the jig request post http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?4328-3SGTE-Jig-request-thread/page22 but basically £100 deposit of which £75 gets refunded & you pay for a trackable method of carrier.

Alan...

Lee H
14-09-2013, 21:37
I fitted the engine in my old car without the jig. Found loads of pictures of where Paul had fitted the mounts on previous swaps and matched it up with relation to holes etc in the engine bay on my car. Engine dropped straight in with no problems, didn't even trial fit before fully welding the mounts.

Goldy
14-09-2013, 23:28
Template for mounts is in the download area. You cut them out of steel yourself or get them cut at a machine shop and weld them in. You can do it without a Jig, you will need to cut the templates then hang the engine in the position you want and weld the mounts in. The jig makes it easier as you can do it all with the engine out and it should be spot on.

chief44
15-09-2013, 00:06
As above, I used the mount templates in the downloads section and cut them myself with a grinder. They will require a bit of fettling but it's easy enough. Then we welded them in using the woodsport jig which made the job very easy. Whatever you do, good luck with it. I look forward to seeing the build.

HarrisonS23
15-09-2013, 11:27
I think then considering time and money wise I will need the jig. Waiting on my money to come through so I can go and view a car to start with, and then should I PM you personally Phaeton or just post in the request thread?

I'm getting rather excited at the moment, just hoping the car I eventually get to viewing isnt a lemon and I can buy it. If so I'll have the car and can start work in two weeks.

Tommytank
16-09-2013, 07:46
I think then considering time and money wise I will need the jig. Waiting on my money to come through so I can go and view a car to start with, and then should I PM you personally Phaeton or just post in the request thread?

I'm getting rather excited at the moment, just hoping the car I eventually get to viewing isnt a lemon and I can buy it. If so I'll have the car and can start work in two weeks.

Do both, it should help with tracking who has the jig. If you work something out with Phaeton i can post the jig directly to you, but only once i get approval from Phaeton...

Oh, and its good to go now... :wink:

HarrisonS23
16-09-2013, 15:52
Do both, it should help with tracking who has the jig. If you work something out with Phaeton i can post the jig directly to you, but only once i get approval from Phaeton...

Oh, and its good to go now... :wink:

I would love to take it off your hands but I dont even have the car to work on yet... haha, just trying to keep everything planned ahead of time so I can be sure I know what I'm doing. Got a lot of plans for this car, but the next year I'd like to spend just getting the car and getting the engine in and running alright before I spend serious money. Thanks for all the help already guys!

HarrisonS23
19-09-2013, 01:37
Still looking for a car... nothing within my budget for miles around...

Charged
19-09-2013, 10:35
Still looking for a car... nothing within my budget for miles around...

What is your budget and where are you located?

Fuzzydunlop
24-09-2013, 18:59
http://mr2oc.com/showthread.php?t=281122

Site requires registration but it is well worth it.

Phaeton
24-09-2013, 20:28
http://mr2oc.com/showthread.php?t=281122

Site requires registration but it is well worth it.

Why does it has naked ladies on it?

Alan...

Fuzzydunlop
30-09-2013, 19:43
are you complaining about the naked ladies? :tongue:
I could post some dongs instead, if that be your preference.