PDA

View Full Version : Help needed inetrior light and Puddle lights

kalsingh1
21-03-2013, 10:08
Hello all

I have a problem on my mr2 roadster.
I have fitted puddle lights on the wing mirrors and they are suppose to come on when you press the remote to unlock doors with the interior lights (feed is suppose to be taken from interior light).

To my horror I have found that the interior lights only come on when you physically open the door ! All the other modern cars work with remote key!

So now I have a problem and I know there are some very knowledgable people on this forum.
So can someone advise of a solution or work around of this problem, I know the MK2 interior lights may operate from the remote key ? or possibly using a relay of another car ? I have no idea.

Thanks

Phaeton
21-03-2013, 11:18
Interesting one, I have no idea if you can get a relay off anything else, but you can get timer relays which you could wire into the central locking so that when energised it would pull in the relay for a set number of seconds.

Alan...

wood_patrick
21-03-2013, 11:25
Hi Kal,

I've not had any experience with the mk3's at all so stab in the dark here...

Is it the standard key you use to unlock or is it an aftermarket alarm/immobiliser? Also are the courtesy and door lights using the same physical light as I've seen some cars with individual ones? Are there any lights on the interior door panels and if so do they come on?

Some can be a negative circuit rather than positive, depending how you've wired them could cause problems. And finally is there any on board computer where you can set the option for the courtesy light to on/off.

Few stabs in the dark, if none work I would say probably best to sell it and buy a real hairdressers car like a MR2 Mk2. :-P Lol.

wood_patrick
21-03-2013, 11:30
Like that plan, would I be right in thinking that because of the circuit the to the door lock relay you could easily make that work JUST on unlock? :-/ Or am I talking poop?

Interesting one, I have no idea if you can get a relay off anything else, but you can get timer relays which you could wire into the central locking so that when energised it would pull in the relay for a set number of seconds.

Alan...

Phaeton
21-03-2013, 12:55
Not sure is the honest answer, I did wonder if the relay would still energise on the lock as well as the unlock, I suppose it depends on the type of solenoid used to pull the central locking. We've just fitted an after market set to my son's VW T4, all that did was reverse the polarity to lock/unlock so in that instance I suspect it will. but I have seen other types where they are separate wires.

Alan...

kalsingh1
21-03-2013, 13:06
There are no factory lights in the doors, a couple of owners have said that the interior light is purely operated from the door switches. No computers that I can see on board.

Can you guys elborate on the central locking theory. Are you saying to take a feed from the central locking and put a timer on that which in turn will connect to the interior light ?

Phaeton
21-03-2013, 13:47
My thoughts are using something like http://www.maplin.co.uk/555-astable-switch-kit-220011#overview which if you pick up the central locking feed to cause the relay to energise, & then feed the puddle lights from a separate supply through the other side of the relay you can adjust how long they stay on for up to a minute. This is all theoretical & might actually be a load of bollocks, but the assumption seems right.

Edit:- Just read you want to do interior lights through this as well, that might be interesting as they maybe fed live through switch to earth which is not an issue, but may meant that whenever your interior light is on the puddle lights will be also. So even if your passenger is map reading whilst you are driving

Alan...

mrT
21-03-2013, 13:55
what alarm have you got fitted , most have a timed output that connects to the courtesy/map light,
clifford alarms have a an option to increase the time it stays on and usually the courtesy light comes on when u disarm the alarm, also when u arm the alarm the light stays on for 30 seconds and then goes off,
I am sure toad alarms have a similar circuit too..
and for other alarms a circuit can be made up using a couple of relays, capacitors and resistors, I can supply a diagram if needed

kalsingh1
21-03-2013, 20:29
It's looks like a toyota alarm

kalsingh1
22-03-2013, 11:05
Ok I have seen some delay timers on ebay designed for daytime driving lights with adjustable timers.
When there is a positive feed the time delays between 0.5 secs to 1min then powers up what ever device, and when the feed stops the timer powers down.

Can this be incorporated some how ??

Phaeton
22-03-2013, 11:41
Not really, you want it so that a pulse feed operates the relay immediately & then powers off after a period of time, send a link to the relay off Fleecebay

Alan...

kalsingh1
22-03-2013, 12:24
here's the link http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271066143155?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

LelandDixon
21-07-2013, 10:08
Hello all

I have a problem on my mr2 roadster.
I have fitted puddle lights on the wing mirrors and they are suppose to come on when you press the remote to unlock doors with the interior lights (feed is suppose to be taken from interior led lighting (http://www.niceledlights.com)).

To my horror I have found that the interior lights only come on when you physically open the door ! All the other modern cars work with remote key!

So now I have a problem and I know there are some very knowledgable people on this forum.
So can someone advise of a solution or work around of this problem, I know the MK2 interior lights may operate from the remote key ? or possibly using a relay of another car ? I have no idea.

Thanks
Were you able to sort out the problem? Hello friend I am facing similar issues what is the way to resolve it?Waiting for reply thanks in advance:)

kalsingh1
21-07-2013, 21:45
I went to the maplin store and bought a relay that was pulse activated. I also bought a timer kit (which I had to solder myself). The timer not only had a button to activate, but had connections for pulse activation.
I connected a wire from the central locking to the timer. I connected the timer output to the relay switch which I connected to the puddle lights. So now when I press the remote keyfob to open the doors, the puddle lights come on for the set time.
The expert in Maplins was very helpful and even drew me a diagram.
I connected the open central locking only pulse to the timer. So when I lock my doors the puddle lights do not come on.
I am really happy with the operation.