PDA

View Full Version : 3VZ-FE MR2 MK2 2000lbs!! Cut that bitch up!

mr2japan
08-08-2012, 04:46
Besides the norm of racing seats, carpet removal, spare tire, eating less fatty foods. What metal would be safe to cut off and not harm my weight distribution, or my ridgedness.
I was thinking I could reinforce some of the loss with bigger Strut Tower Bars, and Sway Bars..

Ideas, because i'll go out, and start cutting right now! Sure 2000lbs might be a little unrealistic.. Still..

PS - I run a t-top <--- :( 3vzfe mr2 MK2. (+SC soon)

ThePianoMan
08-08-2012, 20:43
I thought about this too, as my mr2 ain't exactly a show car.
But can't see much to safely remove to be worth it.

dgh938peg
08-08-2012, 21:36
there have been numerous threads on this over the years.

a lot will depend on your intended use for the car .... daily drive / weekend toy / track weapon ???

cdwood2010
08-08-2012, 22:15
Hi guys,

Have a read of this - it should keep you busy for a while......

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=20088

ThePianoMan
09-08-2012, 20:16
interesting little list,

Being sensible and cheap, cant see saving anymore than 200lb at best, not worth making the car harder to sell at that amount really

cdwood2010
09-08-2012, 23:27
True but if you just want to strip out a car for track use like Nick, it's a good guide to where the fat stuff is.

C.

ThePianoMan
10-08-2012, 16:09
Yea, certainly worth it as a track day toy,
Worth starting with a tin top base model too, a lot lighter
than the t-bar.
If I ever did another, I'd get one of them.

mr2japan
11-08-2012, 23:05
Yea, certainly worth it as a track day toy,
Worth starting with a tin top base model too, a lot lighter
than the t-bar.
If I ever did another, I'd get one of them.

I agree, so I will be going to carbon fibber t-tops.

Anyone know if I should try and shift more weight to the front or back? I want to make this an all around car. If I had to pick it would be street auto cross. Btw right now I weigh 2456lbs.

mr2japan
14-08-2012, 02:21
Update

So I removed nearly everything from the cock pit. shot load of weight was lost. However, I took it for a drift. Regionally would say its much harder to drift now. Not sure if its the weight distribution, or just not bring used to the weight.
On highway it feels light but handling seems a bit down.
I feel like I need to lose some rear weight. My frunk is only the battery, and power steering, etc..

Ideas?
Sway bars maybe need upgrade.
lighten up the engine bay?

mr2japan
14-08-2012, 05:59
Update 2

I just got back from a 10mile drive. Seems a little quicker down the straight. I am pleased with that for sure. Guess I will lose some weight from the rear next. Just not sure what I could get out of there besides heat shields which I feel are essential at this point. I think all I am left with is the rear wing. I don't want to lose that though since I am sure it's there for more then looks (I like how it looks at that).

I think all I can do is carbon fiber as much as possible. Trunk lid, (wing maybe...), and engine bay lid.

What else in the rear..
under-trunk heat shield
Lighter bumper (any ideas on this one, can't find any weight values for new ones, or current one)