PDA

View Full Version : how to use the twobrutal jig

welly_59
31-01-2006, 15:18
Am posting this instead of asking paul trhough pm as it may be of benefit to all people who use the jig in future.

Paul, whats the best method of using the jig. i was planning on doing it the following way:

attach jig to both strut towers
put ready cut out mounts onto each side of the legs and bolt them on
mounts should now be in the right place to weld. tack them
test fit engine and if ok weld mounts all the way around

or would it be ok to just attach mounts to jig, get them in place and weld them on fully without testfitting engine first?

chris99
31-01-2006, 16:42
I would have thought that the point of the jig was that it will be in the right place first time every time. Just weld those bad boys up imo :D

nik
31-01-2006, 17:12
seconded...attatch mounts to jig, attach jig to car..weld

if it doesnt fit its pauls fault..

welly_59
31-01-2006, 17:13
lol okey then!

Paul Woods
31-01-2006, 18:40
lol bastards...yep as above!

welly you know the "feet" that sit on each chassis leg? as long as they are sitting on the chassis and havent lifted off (due to the jig being twisted or bent in the mail) then it will be perfect.....if they have lifted off a tad then just push them back down onto the rails,it should be grand though.

Yep just bolt your plates (the ones gary CAD filed) straight to the jig and weld them boyos as much as you can,then remove the jig and bolt your engine mounts in instead,no need to fit the engine.You may need to slightly tap the inner wings up against the plates to make them a perfect fit although the all new templates should be close enough to weld.

Expect a bit of blow through when welding the plates to the inner wing,it isnt the thickest of steel but as long as you have a really good weld on the chassis leg bit it will be fine.

When you have welded tops onto the plates you can remove the engine mounts (these stop the plates moving or pulling) ,seam seal your welds,paint the bay and im 100% sure your engine will bolt straight up.....if it doesnt, sue me :D

Paul Woods
31-01-2006, 18:40
welly just thought,a few pics of you actually using the jig might help others?

welly_59
31-01-2006, 18:41
hope so!

welly_59
31-01-2006, 18:45
what bolts will i need to put through 4mm mounts and the mounts themselves?

chris99
02-02-2006, 16:49
welly you know...............if it doesnt, sue me :D

That will help with the legal side when it all goes wrong. You saw it here first guys lol

Paul Woods
02-02-2006, 18:51
ha ha chris! shite welly i forgot to measure the lengths of those bolts for you! will do it tomorrow mate.