PDA

View Full Version : Roadster Turbo install

loadswine
08-03-2012, 13:54
I realise this isn't very Brutal in the greater scheme of things that most of you chaps do and some just hate the Mk3 anyway. However, for those that are interested, I thought I'd pop up a few details of my current turbo installation, just for interest really.
I've had a few types of Roadster, this is my 5th car and I have had 3 previous turbos and of course, one V6! :icon_razz: Still my favourite!

Well, just before Christmas I got my latest 2 , which was a very tidy 35k miler 03 in silver with red leather. I thought this would make a nice base for a way to put my own stamp on the car.
I thought, what can I do that there aren't many of?
So I thought something a little on the rare side might be good, so opted to go for a Top Secret turbo kit, when the opportunity presented itself.
I'm not going mad on the external appearance, as I want it reasonably stealth. My Haas silver that I had last year was a car that I enjoyed a lot and this will have to go some to be as good to own. The stealth approach appealed to me on that one, specially round where I live! ( Too much chav attention with anything too eye catching)
Anyway, last month Aaron Mark and myself embarked on the first stage of the project, popping the turbo kit onto the car.
This kit has a journal bearing turbo , very nice manifold a modest chargecooler :cool:( lol) , Apexi power FC management and one loud exhaust.
For that day turbo went on,together with piping and the ecu.

A couple of minor bits sorted over the next couple of weeks, including a leaking injector seal and shining up the chargecooler and pipework a little.
Map is very conservative and very very rich, but it has potential. That exhaust is not for shrinking violets either!

Chargecooler was all plumbed in recently and the air was purged pretty quickly from the system, which was a bonus. These things can take time sometimes.
So current state of play is a rich , loud turbo running base wastegate level boost only.

Engine with old manifold and exhaust removed, ready to receive the new bits:
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f313/2000silver2/Ratster/TOP%20secret%20turbo%20install/P1280527.jpg

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f313/2000silver2/Ratster/TOP%20secret%20turbo%20install/P1280528.jpg

Exhaust manifold and turbo
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f313/2000silver2/Ratster/TOP%20secret%20turbo%20install/P1280530.jpg

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f313/2000silver2/Ratster/TOP%20secret%20turbo%20install/P1280531.jpg

and on the car
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f313/2000silver2/Ratster/TOP%20secret%20turbo%20install/P1280534.jpg

Chargecooler mounted in position with pipework,( before a good clean)
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f313/2000silver2/Ratster/TOP%20secret%20turbo%20install/P1280533.jpg

chargecooler barrel unmounted again and given a bit of a polish
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f313/2000silver2/Ratster/TOP%20secret%20turbo%20install/P2020545.jpg

Chargecooler refitted and plumbed in
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f313/2000silver2/Ratster/TOP%20secret%20turbo%20install/P2260630.jpg

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f313/2000silver2/Ratster/TOP%20secret%20turbo%20install/P2260632.jpg

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f313/2000silver2/Ratster/TOP%20secret%20turbo%20install/P2260631.jpg

Yes, this is not a new kit and has been on a friend's car for a while before I got it.
The differences in my install, are the upcoming custom exhaust and rolling road mapping. Not really aiming for massive figures, but good driveability and useable power are top of my list. We shall see how this turns out.......

Update: The car is currently at PTR exhausts in Brackley having a custom setup fabricated, complete with race cat.

Mapping is due for next week and I'll update on that when I have details. Looking forward to seeing what she turns out! :eusa_dance:

snowtigger
08-03-2012, 14:11
I've changed my opinion after driving a mates mk3 this sounds very interesting mate, carry on I say more picks and vids please.

Goldy
08-03-2012, 14:12
Really nice install that, I like the compact charge cooler. I've been for a ride in a mk3 turbo, they shift pretty well and its a good balance of power and weight!

Paul Woods
08-03-2012, 20:23
That's a neat setup Nige, very nice.

adamh
08-03-2012, 22:58
cool, 1.8T simple, interested to see figures on thAt capacity

loadswine
15-03-2012, 20:32
Custom exhaust made by Pete of PTR exhausts in Brackley,

Pics of the exhaust, not that exciting really. ;)

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f313/2000silver2/Ratster/TOP%20secret%20turbo%20install/P3150642.jpg

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f313/2000silver2/Ratster/TOP%20secret%20turbo%20install/P3150641.jpg

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f313/2000silver2/Ratster/TOP%20secret%20turbo%20install/P3150644.jpg

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f313/2000silver2/Ratster/TOP%20secret%20turbo%20install/P3150645.jpg

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f313/2000silver2/Ratster/TOP%20secret%20turbo%20install/P3150646.jpg
Realised I didn't take any pics of the race cat. I will do though.

Car is also filthy :oops: apologies for that.

Boost pegged at 0.5 Bar in the end, which is a shade over 7psi I think.
It was mapped at that, might go for more at some point, but this, along with an excellent map will do me for now

cdwood2010
15-03-2012, 21:15
Hello!

Brackley in Northamptonshire? Just down the road from me.

Tell me more!

Chris.

snowtigger
15-03-2012, 21:19
Well google will tell you every thing and the encyclopedia brittanica is a wonderful place to find info chris.

Paul Woods
16-03-2012, 06:35
I defy you to find information on Niges turbo install in the encyclopedia Brittanica Tiggs.

Looking marvellous Nige, love that compact barrel cooler.

snowtigger
16-03-2012, 08:20
I defy you to find information on Niges turbo install in the encyclopedia Brittanica Tiggs.

Looking marvellous Nige, love that compact barrel cooler.

Never mind, wheres the woosh icon when you need it, yes niges turbo install is very interesting for those who want a bit more oomph out of a 2zz, it may come in handy for the future.
Did you have to uprate the injectors ?

loadswine
16-03-2012, 09:19
Yes Tiggs, they are 525cc items. To be honest they are only at around 65% duty at max boost of 0.5 Bar that its set at now and just been mapped at that. I don't want to push a stock 1zz too far right now, just after some decent shove with reasonable reliability and a nice smooth curve with no spikes. I will post a dyno printout soon. Ryan mapped it yesterday and did a superb job, drives superbly now. 240 ish horses from only 7psi is pretty decent. :)

snowtigger
16-03-2012, 10:01
Very nice 240bhp is not to be sniffed at especially with no dips or peaks in the power delivery, Ryan always does good work, will have to pick his brains if I turbo the 2gr.

vinp182
16-03-2012, 10:38
Like your new exhaust mate.... I'ts similar to my new one but I went catless this time.... Also like your CC setup.....

Was it Ryan @ 2bar that mapped it? I've got mine booked in with him to install and map my new PFC on the 3rd April :D

What turbo does the Top Secret Kit use?

loadswine
16-03-2012, 17:35
Thank you :)
Yes, it was Ryan G from 2Bar Tuning that mapped mine. I think the turbo is a Greddy item made by Mitsubishi, so very similar to some of the Evos.
You certainly won't be disappointed with his skills, he is ver thorough and I really like the power delivery, just builds all the way to the red line. Nice!
Tiggs, that car will literally fly mate! Go for it!!

Infamous
30-03-2012, 13:48
Nice project, I have considered going down the mk3 turbo route many times myself.
Did you have to upgrade any of the internals with this kit or was this a simple bolt on job?
Do they still sell the TS kit now?
Have you any videos of the car now running with the turbo, a few fly bys with a pssst whoosh perhaps? :smile:

loadswine
30-03-2012, 16:45
Thanks! :) It was basically a bolt on job for this one. Stock engine internals are okay for maybe up to around 270 horses, stock gearbox will not last long above 240lbft of torque, so I have my system pegged at just the 0.5 bar for now. 0.7 is probably okay, a few of the Roadster chaps run it at that boost level. I might do eventually. Essentials for the gearbox longevity are no spikes or sudden peaks in the power curve. I've seen a few that look like a map of the Himalayas!
Here is the dyno printout

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f313/2000silver2/Ratster/TOP%20secret%20turbo%20install/dynoprintout05Barboost15March12.jpg

Not sure if you can get the TS kit any more, I know it was fairly pricey when new. :wink:
No vids yet, but I can do some if you like. Not really much in the way of pssst whoosh, as I'm not running a BOV on this one, but its does do the demented squirrel compressor stall noise quite nicely!! :eusa_dance:

Paul Woods
30-03-2012, 17:52
Nige, have you thought about using a Corolla T sport 6 speed box? The one normally attached to the 2zz? It should work in your car if you swap the linkages over and that has got to be higher horsepower rated with the 2zz being 190bhp stock?

Just a thought for you.

loadswine
30-03-2012, 20:15
That's a good idea Paul! I am already using the T Sport clutch in there, a LUK one, holds the power nicely. Don't know how the gearing compares, though I would imagine the T Sport box is a bit shorter with the ratios, to keep the 2zz in lift more easily.

cdwood2010
30-03-2012, 20:57
Hi Nigel,

Followed this with interest, very nice work.

I'm a big fan of LUK clutches, i used one on the last V6 build and was so impressed I have just bought two more.

Bit of a power difference between the 3VZ and a turbo setup I know, but I think the quality is there which is my main concern.

Chris.

Goldy
31-03-2012, 10:37
I have to say that's a pretty nice dyno graph for a turbo'd engine no nasty spikes or lumps! How does it drive on the road?

loadswine
31-03-2012, 11:14
Chris, yes, I do like the LUK clutches, I put one in another turbo'd roadster that I had last year ( a Hass turbo kit on that one) and was amazed how light and easy they were to use. Though I also liked the ACT clutch in my 3VZ Roadster as well, but it was heavier.

Goldy, that's exactly what I wanted Ryan to sort for me and he delivered on that. :) Its really smooth on the road and just puls and pulls all the way to the rev limiter in pretty much any gear. I'll take a smooth , progressive delivery over pub figures any day. :)
Not a mass of torque low down, but it does make it easier to handle with no big unexpected lumps of urge to catch me out. It also means I can cruise on the motorway without being on lots of boost all the time.
I still have a couple of refinements to do, like heat shielding the manifold, both for under bonnet temps and also helping gas plow by keeping high temps in the manifold pipework. ( least that's what I've been told and have read) I had thought of wrapping, but this way it should be easier to detect any manifold cracking should it occur.

I'm also looking at creating a side branch resonator pipe to reduce a bominess i have with the exhaust at around 1500 rpm. Got to isolate the frequency first, then calculate the length of pipe required. Oh, and get it made of course! ;)

Infamous
05-04-2012, 19:37
Not sure if you can get the TS kit any more, I know it was fairly pricey when new. :wink:
No vids yet, but I can do some if you like. Not really much in the way of pssst whoosh, as I'm not running a BOV on this one, but its does do the demented squirrel compressor stall noise quite nicely!! :eusa_dance:

Yeah man some video action would be great.:biggrin:

guitariste47
13-04-2012, 11:26
Hello from across the channel. My knowledge of turbo kit being limited, I was wondering where if you had one, was the intercooler in the car ? :icon_confused:and I have never heard of charge cooler although I just thought I will look in wilkipedia

Thank you

loadswine
13-04-2012, 16:44
Bonjour mon ami! The chargecooler is a type of intercooler. An intercooler is an air to air heat exchanger, whereas a chargecooler is an air to water heat exchanger. They do exactly the same job of cooling down the hot air from the turbo to make it denser and give more power and control over knock.
I am a member of mrs-passion in France as well, having met some of the guys at a meet in Alsace in 2010. Are you a member on there?

guitariste47
13-04-2012, 20:45
hi my friend ! no I am not a member and didn't know they existed. And I own a MkI with a 2zz-ge, so don't know if they would accept me.The charge-cooler system seems easier to fit than an intercooler is it not; and (off topics) I could have called myself loadsnotes since i play the guitar!!!but loadsbanknotes would have been better to buy a turbokit!!!!

loadswine
14-10-2012, 14:47
I wonder if any of you chaps can help with a little tweak to my setup that I want to get done over the winter.
My chargecooler barrel runs inverted, ie pipes go in from the bottom and it was bled out initially, before the exhaust and other gubbins went on. What I'd like to do is get a bleed screw welded on top of the barrel to make it easy to bleed in situ. A couple of hose unions weeped a little over this year and it would be dead handy to make sure I've got all the air out.
So, can anybody point me in the right direction of finding a weld in bleed fitting please? I'll have to get someone to weld it in as I'm not as skilled as a lot of you chaps. ;)

snowtigger
15-10-2012, 18:00
I thought Thor do stuff like that in ally I think?

guitariste47
03-01-2013, 20:52
Hello

How are you getting on with your turbo install ?

loadswine
04-01-2013, 16:55
Very well thank you. :) The car has been running reliably since the mapping and the exhaust noise has settled down a little and is the best I have heard on a turbo Roadster. The car is excellent to drive and is very good with fuel consumption, often giving me over 40 miles to the gallon.
It is almost like driving a bigger engined car in some ways, as the torque just builds, rather than coming in a massive lump to catch you out.
Pretty pleased with the package, just a few small tweaks to do and a bit of an extra clean once the weather gets better.
I would like some better rubber though, as the stock Yokohamas struggle when cold and I want to drive briskly. Had wheelspin in 3rd, uphill a month or so back, at significant speed, which made me focus a bit!!

guitariste47
04-01-2013, 20:43
Very well thank you. :) The car has been running reliably since the mapping and the exhaust noise has settled down a little and is the best I have heard on a turbo Roadster. The car is excellent to drive and is very good with fuel consumption, often giving me over 40 miles to the gallon.
It is almost like driving a bigger engined car in some ways, as the torque just builds, rather than coming in a massive lump to catch you out.
Pretty pleased with the package, just a few small tweaks to do and a bit of an extra clean once the weather gets better.
I would like some better rubber though, as the stock Yokohamas struggle when cold and I want to drive briskly. Had wheelspin in 3rd, uphill a month or so back, at significant speed, which made me focus a bit!!Nice to hear you are pleased with the job; it's quite that the turbo works in a linear fashion ( I thought they didn't). Do you reckon a turbo like yours is cheaper than a rotrex (aroung 5000 pounds I believe) ? That wheelspi must have kept you awake !

loadswine
05-01-2013, 10:54
Some installations have a number of spikes, or a near vertical rise in their power curves, but I had this one mapped to be nice and progressive. I think the mapping was the key thing really.
There are probably better turbos around now, that spool faster and still maintain required boost to the red line. Garrett make some excellent ones now. The turbo kits are about the same price as a Rotrex, though I have only seen 1 example of a 1zz Rotrex powered Roadster. ( a few 2zz Rotrex's in existence and they look awesome) I have driven the 1zz with Rotrex and liked it a lot. It has a lot of potential, but the mapping on that is a bit basic. Someone like Ryan could do a better job I think. A used turbo kit will cost anywhere between 2000 and 3000 and they will pop up occasionally, but the Rotrex would be harder to find. You would need to buy new, or make up a custom kit with a used Rotrex from another car.
Yes, the wheelspin did wake me up!!