PDA

View Full Version : MK3 brake upgrade

myers
10-02-2012, 14:23
Ok guys open to ideas on this one, im trying to uprgade the front calipers on the mk3 to celica 165/185 twin pots i got laid about.
As we can see in photo the red carrier is twin pot but the bolt holes dont line up to the mk3, the yellow line on the right the holes are in line, the holes on the left are out by about half inch.
First thought was to weld 1 hole up and drill and tap another hole in line.
any ideas, opinion's welcome?

cdwood2010
10-02-2012, 17:13
Might just be me but that looks like it might be too much of a stretch.

Others may know better / have done the same before.

C.

mrT
10-02-2012, 18:15
usually u have to get some brackets made, usually look a bit like these..
http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=brake+caliper+brackets&start=230&um=1&hl=en&biw=1366&bih=673&tbm=isch&tbnid=tlnbPuhhKg2uCM:&imgrefurl=http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/1/1/573583--brake-caliper-bracket-by-fenco-part-bk450.html&docid=LoxZA0ZFMg8CxM&imgurl=http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/wcsstore/CVWEB/staticproductimage//1257/large/20620553_a1c_141107_pri_larg.jpg&w=450&h=450&ei=ll41T-ClBsKn0QW7vNS4Ag&zoom=1&chk=sbg

if there is enough meat on the original bracket that you are using then might be worth trying to drill and tap, but wouldnt you haveto make both holes closer together rather than just relocating one as the caliper may not sit correctly otherwise..

snowtigger
10-02-2012, 18:34
Have you also looked at we're the disc is in relation to the caliper and pads does it sit to far in or out you may have to shim it/ make a braket as the caliper could be too low or sit too high on the disc.

I would put a bolt in either hole and caliper to see where it sits in relation to the disc.

myers
11-02-2012, 11:16
Tiggs i checked all that and the only diff was they sit to far out by about 2mm in relation to the disk, but the mk3 hub were the carrier mounts to is thicker so removing 2mm from them would bring the disk to sit in the middle of the carrier.
The pads are the same shape curve wise only the twin pots are longer by far, and checked against the disk they fit ok no overhang anywere.
The only prob was the hole space on the carrier, i was looking at pauls brake upgrade were he cuts the holes out and welds them back on in the correct place but would rather have at least 1 hole unmolested for safety.

snowtigger
11-02-2012, 12:02
Cut and weld it then mate only but weld it for safety, or get a pro in to do it, hope you can find one as not many like to mess with the braking system any chance of making an adapter bracket and out of thick steel plate ?

terryo
04-06-2013, 03:14
you cant successfully use an adapter bracket as these 2 calipers are too close in fitment, there is not enough room to do it. i've looked at same issue. the 125mm centre spacing of the MR-S calipers is fairly unusual as far as I know. certainly, nothing in my crate of toyota calipers is close to this.
some quick searching suggest Renault Clio & some BMW have this spacing.
i'm currently experimenting with some willwoods

myers
16-07-2013, 23:59
So i finaly got some spare time to get this sorted.
After a bit of thought i went for pauls way of doing things, i cut the holed parts away from the carrier with a thin cut blade in the grinder as not to remove to much metal.
I then fitted the pads into the carrier and mounted them to the disk with a G clamp, lined it all up and then started grinding the parts with the hole in to fit snug against the carrier when bolted up, couple of quick tack with the welder crancked to max and removed the hole thing to be welded on the bench.
The calipers were looking a bit worse for wear so a quick wire brush.
and a lick of paint.
In the rush to get this all sorted i forgot to photo the carrier all welded up, i did build the ends up quite a bit for extra strenght maybe 1/2" either end, plus they looked a bit more of a natural shape.
All fitted with new EBC disks, red stuff pads and goodridge metal brake flexi's all round.
The disk has slid forward in the picture just incase anyone thought it looked a little small in the caliper.

NoobieMRS
17-07-2013, 04:17
It looks good. Let us know how it works. I am thinking about upgrading my brakes. Do you plan on tracking the car?

myers
17-08-2013, 11:51
Quick update on these, the first few press of the pedal after install was harsh to say the least and it took some getting used too the grip these things give, i think the metal flexi's give a sharper feel to the pedal as well.
They have been on about a month and have bedded in nice now the pedal is still sharp and took some getting used to at first.
if your a car jumper like me(out of 1 into another) you tend to forget,
so 30mph'ish down the road press brake pedal like your in the work van and you get choacked by the seat belt or press the horn with your chest if no seatbelt, still makes me laugh and wakes u up at the same time!!
Over all yes these things are a massive upgrade to oem and i would recomend the change.

loadswine
17-08-2013, 17:14
Nice idea, and they look great. I wonder if there are any other alternatives that don't involve cutting and welding. I bet they grab like mad now! :)

cdwood2010
17-08-2013, 17:16
Very nice result. I've often looked at the ,massive Camry brakes and thought 'shame they don't fit' but I might be saving the next set.......

myers
18-08-2013, 01:20
Ye they grab alright.
it took some time to get the balls to do a full speed harsh stop, but after a few mile u build confidence in the set up, now i dont care what is beside me ill out brake it and just laugh.
Any one know of any rear end caliper upgrades or something close to fitting, i dont mind modding them to fit lol.