PDA

View Full Version : How to test if dampers are OK?

Adam W
30-11-2011, 18:04
Hi folks, I have the suspension stripped down on my Mk1 and was wondering about the dampers. On my last Mk1 they were clearly knackered; pitted, and leaking. This time around, they look OK, but that's not much of a test! Can you tell what state a damper is in without some complicated test rig? They push in smoothly by hand, but give a pretty firm resistance. They don't spring back out, but I don't think they are supposed to!

I would love to just go out and buy a set of Konis as I know how good they are from my last car, but I have a limited budget and was hoping to get away with a set of stiffer springs and a rebush this time around. That way I can afford some other stuff for the car . . .

CecilWard
04-12-2011, 04:24
Adam, did you ever get any tips on this?

Adam W
06-12-2011, 08:22
No I didn't Cecil. Whatever happened to Jim-SR? I was looking at some posts of his and he certainly knew a lot about suspension!

Limeymk1
06-12-2011, 08:35
I was always under the impression that healthy dampers should return to their original position fairly briskly when they're working properly.

Brand new KYBs need my full weight plus some muscle to move them in and return to extended pretty quickly once released.

hmmmmm
06-12-2011, 13:24
If they feel alright under the car, they are ok :smile: If the car doesnt dance around when you put youre weight on 1 corner en release it, its should be good to go. Offcourse check for leaks etc. But apart from that what would you want tot check? You could have them checked out to see they are still performing like intended but whats the point? If you think they are stiff enough etc wy would you need some chart to confirm it?

mrT
06-12-2011, 16:13
if you have the dampers apart and coil springs of, try and force the dampers into the shock. should have a lot of resistence and only gow in a small amount, by and, and the amount the rod goes in it should return very slowly, if it doesnt return then the shocker has an internal leak and is duff,
if returns slowly then all is good..
on the car, the springs hold the body up, the dampers job is to take the bumps and keep the wheels on the road..

Adam W
07-12-2011, 20:40
Thanks for the replies guys. You don't need to be a suspension expert to know that mine are knackered then!