PDA

View Full Version : 3VZ-FE Swap temp gauge not working

JohnnyFFR
27-08-2011, 06:48
I swapped a 3vz-fe into a 91 MR2 N/A. The car is up and running but the temp gauge never moves. I connected the yellow/green wire from the V6 harness to the MR2 fuse box per the wiring notes. When I put a ground to the yellow/green wire the gauge goes all the way hot so I know those are connected to the right ones. I tried jumping the connector that goes to the temp sensor to see if it would make it go all the way hot but the gauge never moves.

Paul Woods
27-08-2011, 07:35
You have either connected the wrong Y/G wire on the V6 loom to the fusebox or you have a break in the wire between the Y/G at the fusebox and the sensor within your V6 harness, which i doubt, but do a continuity test between fusebox and sensor anyway.

Double check you have used the correct Y/G wire.

JohnnyFFR
27-08-2011, 09:16
I looked at the wires going to the temp sensor in the water neck and they are blue/white and blue/yellow, are those correct? Here's a picture of the connector I took the Y/G wire from to connect to the Y/G in the fuse box. I double checked and i'm pretty sure I used the right Y/G wire because it was the one you said that would be next to the Y/B wire that was for the oil pressure.

http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/8150/3vztempwire.jpg

Paul Woods
27-08-2011, 19:04
Pardon me for saying this but neither of those two wires look to me like they have a green trace on them.

Ignore the blue/white and blue/yellow, they aren't for your dash gauge, your dash sender is on the right of the engine just below the coolant filler neck on the centre plenum.

I still think you have joined the wrong wire up.