PDA

View Full Version : Immobilizer help

Rdubs
15-07-2011, 03:19
Hi friends,
I have a 94 N/A that I am using 3MZ block and heads with 1MZ VVT-i upper parts and wiring. The original ECU I bought for it I am sure had an immobilizer. I then spent hours calling around getting VIN's from other potential ECU donors (2000-2001 Avalon) and found one the dealers said came off a car that did not have an immobilizer (just used regular non-transponder key). I called another dealer and they verified the VIN too did not have an immobilizer.

So I bought it, installed it today and of course it did not start. I hooked up that IMLD security light pin to an LED and it started blinking. So either the junkyard screwed up and sent me the wrong ECU, or there is some other pin or something else that needs to be done to a non-immobilizer ECU to get it to fire the engine.

Anyone know if anything needs to be wired or anything needs to be done to a non-immobilizer ECU to get it to work? I am totally screwed. The one place everyone says to sent the ECU's to in order to reflash them (ABC Lock and Key) is no longer operational.

Thank you very much.

Paul Woods
15-07-2011, 06:48
As far as i'm aware there are no other wires to connect. I have fitted non immobiliser ECUs in the past and they just work.

If it helps you though the ECU is not paired with anything, it's the key and transponder ECU that are the paired items, so any Camry immobiliser set will get you going.

Rdubs
15-07-2011, 08:20
Paul
That is very helpful. I thought you needed a 3-way match between ECU, transponder ECU and key. Do you know what models and years would have a transponder my 2001 Avalon ECU would recognize? Would a 98 or 99 Avalon work? Also do you know what changed in the Avalon ECU between 2001 and 2002, I show them as being not compatible parts.

Lastly somone said the dealer can reflash the ECU to be non-immobilizer, do you know if this is correct?
Thanks you are the best.
(PS anyone have a picture of where the theft deterrent ecu and transponder are in the donor cars?)

Rdubs
15-07-2011, 09:46
Update: I checked the wiring diagrams again, I was mistaken, the theft deterrent ECU doesn't do anything to prevent the car from starting. Apparently the transponder amp is what is wired in directly to the ECU. So it seems I can grab any old transponder amp and wire it in but I must have a matching set between the ECU and the key, there is no intermediary.
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2011/07/89.jpg

EDIT: Paul when you say transponder ECU are you talking about that transponder amp? It looks like the amp is just a big antenna sending whatever the key code is to the ECU. Are you saying there are some "brains" in the transponder amp that decode the key signal and just send a generic signal to the ECU? I found this link where you talk about it. If the transponder ECU is something different then that would make sense but if it is just another name for the transponder amp in the wiring picture, I am really confused.
http://www.mr2oc.com/showpost.php?p=3838105&postcount=13

Paul Woods
15-07-2011, 19:10
Sorry but that diagram with 3 transponder wires going to the ECU is unfamiliar to me, all of my 1mz stuff has just two wires that run from the immobiliser ECU to the engine ECU. I'm not sure what other vehicle will have a 3 wire setup like that?

AlunJ
16-07-2011, 02:25
That diagram is the same as one I have for a 2002 highlander 1mz-fe with regards to the immobiliser wiring, but not sure if the diagram I have is region specific (it was from a US based site). It's not shown on another diagram I have (which I think is from a UK camry), maybe a feature we don't get over here?

For what it's worth its probably worth checking the ECU part # with your local toyota. A lot of the 98+ avalons (and a few other US market Toyotas) apparently came with a key->ecu linked immobiliser so it cant hurt to double check you have the right ECU before worrying about other stuff.

Rdubs
18-07-2011, 22:54
Actually someone had a really odd thing to try that panned out and now the engine starts no problem. See on the diagram that grounding wire called EOM? Well apparently if you have that EOM pin grounded, it will disable the ignition even if you have a non-immobilizer ECU. So you have to disconnect the EOM ground from grounding that pin and it starts right up. Oddest thing ever.

AlunJ
19-07-2011, 04:09
Weird... doesnt the wiring diagram show it connected to a pair of earths? Glad you got to the bottom of it :smile:

On an upside, stick a switch on it tucked away somewhere and you've got yourself a nice subtle little extra immobiliser :blabla:

Paul Woods
19-07-2011, 06:44
Now that is very interesting indeed, on the earlier 99 1mz there is an EOM pin on 13C, i can't seem to find it on the pre 99 1mz but i will definately be having a look at this, if all it takes to disable a 1mz's immobiliser is to cut the EOM pin then that's a great find.