PDA

View Full Version : 3VZ-FE Homemade SW20 V6 Exhaust

wood_patrick
18-04-2011, 14:51
Right then. Will be starting manufacture of an exhuast ready for my big bro's conversion this weekend if weather permits (OR if really giddy will be on kitchen table... lol) but wanted to pick peeps brains.... :icon_biggrin:

Whats the general thought on using flexible exhuast stuff?

Found some online, but not sure whether will suit and/or be durable enough/airtight and best sticking to solid pipe. :icon_confused:

Plan is to build the front section pretty much from my existing one as a template then either use my old single exit back box or build a twin exit from spare bits we've picked up.

Will get some pictures of what bits we've got already after but this is pretty much like our conversion as a whole in as much as what we can do with recycled bits on a budget in spare time and lots of mig wire. :icon_mrgreen:

wood_patrick
18-04-2011, 20:14
Right then peeps, organised all the exhuast bits Ive got.

There is the front section from Chris's Camry 3VZ-FE, my old rear back box (sounded ok tbh - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuX5a7tEx8Q) 2 mid boxes (1 from Lexus ES300 and 1 from camry but *seem* identical) and some other spare pipes from various sources some which are for pipe use, others that are too rusty so just for the connecting brackets and some other bits.

At moment thinking that if I build a new front section and re-cycle my old back box will be easier and should sound ok, but may also build another twin exit back section from the 2 spare mid boxes just out of curiousity to see what it sounds like... :icon_mrgreen:

Still unsure about bendy exhuast stuff as from what I can tell, none of them are 100% under pressure, but that said from what I understand flexis used on exhuasts arent either.... :confused:

Anyways, any input welcomed and will keep this updated as I get on along with a rolling total. At present, only thing we have bought is a roll of mig wire, the front section from the camry and everything else was dug out of skips, etc. :icon_biggrin:

Garbe
18-04-2011, 20:29
The flexi on a standard exhaust is of completely different construction to the one pictured. I thought of using some but didn't in the end.
In relation to the back box, I have one which needs a few repaid but its an awesome sound. Already promised it to Chris. I also have some of that flexi pipe which you can have to test out.

Garbe
18-04-2011, 20:31
I'd definitely suggest building the exhaust on the car.

cdwood2010
19-04-2011, 07:00
I have one which needs a few repaid but its an awesome sound. Already promised it to Chris. I also have some of that flexi pipe which you can have to test out.

Hi mate

Yes let me know when we can hook up if the exhaust is still available. The flexible pipe would be great too, think it will give us a quick solution on forming the bend if we can make it gas tight!

Chris

wood_patrick
19-04-2011, 09:18
Yep will be building it on the car, or at least spot welding it on the car then tidying up on the floor. :-)

Some of the flexy/bendy stuff would be awesome. There are a lot of different types, some which are used for aircon units also, so think it depends on the build type as some are really really thin and flimsy. But, its all about trial and error so can build one and go from there. When finished the new exhuast, planning on vht painting & lacquer which may (with a few coats) be enough to make it airtight if just very very slight. Was also thinking about wrapping in exhuast bandage, and fibreglass wrap to help keep heat away from engine and increase lifespan but all just thoughts at the moment.

Also, I think whether flexy/bendy pipe will leak or not does depend a lot on the backpressure created from what rear exhuast is used so may be a case it does or doesnt work this time, but may next time. Am thinking out loud though... Lol.

Hoping to get a load of stuff done this weekend. Finish welding on sill, sort alarm, start exhuast. :-)

wood_patrick
19-04-2011, 22:13
Thought I would ask, but is there anyone out there that lives ideally in South Wales area or Northamptonshire area?

Im after a standard rear exhuast from a Mk2 MR2 that fits a "normal" :icon_tumbleweed: MR2 3S-GE without a modified front section in ANY condition. Basically, I want to build the front section from the 3VZ-FE so it lines up with where a standard rear box would go so that if we decide to change the rear section we dont need to remanufacture it again. :icon_mrgreen: If you know what I mean.

Only just been thinking about it, but if I build a whole exhuast from scratch and big bro decides to change the back box we will have to redo the front again. :icon_confused:

Anyway, if anyone has anything spare would be apprecaited. Doesnt matter if rotten as its just to line things up.

Garbe
19-04-2011, 23:34
That exhaust I have uses that standard fixings. It's for an mr2 so mates to the existing system pre swap and post.

Garbe
19-04-2011, 23:37
Oh and will be in Northampton on Saturday for definite.

cdwood2010
20-04-2011, 00:15
That exhaust I have uses that standard fixings. It's for an mr2 so mates to the existing system pre swap and post.

Ideal.

We are trying to fabricate (and hopefully replicate) the build process for the front pipe, so that will be ideal.

Are you around in the shire this weekend at all?

Chris.

cdwood2010
20-04-2011, 00:15
Oh and will be in Northampton on Saturday for definite.

Yay!

Let me know if you want me to come find you or feel free to pop in for a beer!

Chris.

wood_patrick
25-04-2011, 18:42
You do realise darling bro, anytime anyone mentions popping round for any reason we just offer them beer.... Lol.
:beer:

Well didnt get round to making a start on the exhuast this weekend as sills and other jobs took up all my time to get the beast ready for MOT on Tuesday.
:driving:
Also, decided not to tempt fate taking my exhaust on and off the day before MOT, would've been sods law for something to break or snap.

Gonna make a start in the week one day instead. Off with the heat shield and start chopping and lining up and maybe spot weld in place. :icon_biggrin:

Update soon. :eusa_dance:

cdwood2010
25-04-2011, 18:48
You do realise darling bro, anytime anyone mentions popping round for any reason we just offer them beer.... Lol.:beer:

Nope, sounds like a fine standard to set!

:icon_mrgreen:

Chris

snowtigger
26-04-2011, 00:04
Beer the thinking mans lubricant .

nickp
27-04-2011, 19:37
Just started 'tacking' an exhaust together for our V6 today. I seem to be doing it a bit differently from what I've seen elsewhere. Not for any particular reason, just making best use off the bits in the shed and the Kwik-fit scrap bin. I've used a Rev3 B-pipe but turned the Y-piece upside down to drop it over the rear subframe. Only done the rear bank so far but hopefully this was the trickiest bit. I've managed to incorporate a joint (old Montecarlo exhaust in shed) so it should all come off easily and should mate up to any N/A rear box / decat.

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2011/04/205.jpg

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2011/04/206.jpg

cdwood2010
27-04-2011, 19:45
That is awesome. Really.

We used the Y bit in the middle of our join but that makes much better use if it.

Don't worry what it looks like by the way, when you fit it and run it for the first time you will see black marks if there are any leaks. Pat tidied those up after.

We are also going to bandage and tie it to keep the heat in.

Keep us posted mate, very good work!

Chris.

nickp
27-04-2011, 20:29
Ta Chris, it doesn't look much but that was a full afternoons work!! Thought I'd post it on here to maybe give you guys another option for exhaust no2 as it seems to be going OK for me so far. I'll be wrapping mine too once I'm happy to save the CV boot.

PS. Did you get my PM?

cdwood2010
27-04-2011, 20:47
Ta Chris, it doesn't look much but that was a full afternoons work!! Thought I'd post it on here to maybe give you guys another option for exhaust no2 as it seems to be going OK for me so far. I'll be wrapping mine too once I'm happy to save the CV boot.

PS. Did you get my PM?

Hi nick

Yeah I know - ours took nearly all day, and some of the skin off my arm! Long story!

Can't PM you back as your inbox is full!

Chris

nickp
27-04-2011, 20:51
Inbox now emptied mate.

wood_patrick
27-04-2011, 23:10
Exhuast looking good! :-) Good place for join too, was thinking of doing the second one similar to that. Should end up with near matching length pipes to the front and rear banks from the join. :-)

Your back box starts in a different place too compared to ours too... Ours joined about 6" in front of crossmember (http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?18333-Pat-Chris-MR2-V6-Engine-Swaperoo-Project-Thing!/page12) Is it a standard rear box on yours?

nickp
28-04-2011, 07:35
Exhuast looking good! :-) Good place for join too, was thinking of doing the second one similar to that. Should end up with near matching length pipes to the front and rear banks from the join. :-)

Your back box starts in a different place too compared to ours too... Ours joined about 6" in front of crossmember (http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?18333-Pat-Chris-MR2-V6-Engine-Swaperoo-Project-Thing!/page12) Is it a standard rear box on yours?

Yes ours is pretty much a std N/A setup although it does have a Powerflow back box (very fruity). All Revs of N/A were pretty much the same I believe joining where ours does just behind the subframe. Yours looks like a std Turbo setup, which TBH you might be better off sticking to as it'll give you more choice of rear boxes.

snowtigger
28-04-2011, 11:20
The v6 gets strangled by the na box were as the turbo box let's it breath better and free up extra ponies.

nickp
28-04-2011, 18:32
After another afternoon of hacking and tacking I now have something ressembling an exhaust-
All fits on the car nice and snugly with the front pipe hugging the profile of the sump through the cut-out.

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2011/04/212.jpg

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2011/04/213.jpg

Just got to clean up the tack welds now and get it all seam welded :icon_rolleyes:

BTW- I won't be in a hurry to do another fecker!!

Garbe
28-04-2011, 19:24
Loving the home made exhausts. Just.wished I had the balls to weld when I did my swap. Keep em coming.

cdwood2010
28-04-2011, 19:59
Oh yeah - it's on now!

We should have a forum just for have a go welding!

Knackeringly time consuming but well worth it when you step back and congratulate your awesomeness!

Init!!!!

Chris

wood_patrick
28-04-2011, 20:11
Thats a damn fine job too to be fair...

Gotta up the game on Chris' exhaust now! Planning to make a start this weekend if weather good, but saying that the MR2 is all legal from Sunday just got tax today so may get a little distracted... ;-)

Wanna get it spot welded though so can seal mine as still blowing slightly at the front/rear join then finish off on the deck. :-)