PDA

View Full Version : Galee's first V6 Build!

Galee
20-01-2011, 20:52
Hi guys okay this is the first of two cars I will be converting to V6 POWER! This is for a friend who will be using it for the odd track day and for fun so only a very basic swap none of the glamour and engineering feats that go into many of your swaps.
The car is a 1994 2.0 Na in white and the engine is a 3VZ-FE.
My 2nd swap will be a minter with all the treatment and painted shinny bits like the rest of yours but I have not bought the car yet I am looking for a decent Rev 3.
I have taken this on so I will know what to do when it comes to doing my V6 Swap so hopfully will not be to much agro.
Where I have got to I have both MR2 and Camry engines out the Camry box off. Na flywheel modified new clutch kit and gearbox bolted on. I have put a new cam belt and tensions and water pump and also new rocker cover gaskets the engine mount is on thanks to two brutal back door boys!
And the air con and power pump stuff is all removed.
Is there anything else I should do before lifting the engine into the MR2 I mean is there anything difficult to get at once it's in that I should do now?

So what I need to ask is

1 The erg mushrooms on the top of the engine and rear lower egr pipe do we keep these of blank them off? As I have seen both done on different threads.

2 The coolant lines anyone know what diameter to use and also fuel line diameter and length.

3 Will I get away with the standard fuel pump as this is just a standard unmodified car?

4 The heater pipe I cut from the Camry does anyone know what size is needed and length. As these look like they should be changed with the engine out as they look a bit of a pain to get at when installed

And last but not least the iscv mod can anyone do it or tell me how to do it?

Thanks for any help or advise.

Cheers all

Gary

dgh938peg
20-01-2011, 22:39
Welcome to the swap club matey!

1 - EGR guff... Yes blank them off and ditch it all - see AdamH on here who does a blanking plate set.

2 - Coolant lines. Slight differential, the camry is 16mm and the MR2 is 19mm. You have to go with 19mm and clamper her up good and tight . Or use a reducing silicone elbow

3 - Fuel Pump. Yes you can get away with a standard fuel pump but only just. If the pump has a lot of miles on it it very well may not be up to grade.

4 - Not sure what pipe you mean here mate.

HTH

snowtigger
20-01-2011, 23:37
Stick a turbo mr2 mk2 pump in, there available for peanuts, they nearly are quite and flow enough for the standard 3vz you may need a fuel regulator to lower the pressure, better to be higher than not feeding the engine enough fuel.

The hose from hell is always worth checking to see if it's leaking, as it's a pita to get to once the engine and fuel tank are in.

cdwood2010
21-01-2011, 09:12
4 The heater pipe I cut from the Camry does anyone know what size is needed and length. As these look like they should be changed with the engine out as they look a bit of a pain to get at when installed

Hi Gary,

You mean the water pipes that go down the tunnel to the heater (as opposed the the fat ones for the rad)?

I kept all the pipes from both cars and my plan was to see which fit best (if any) and cut & splice etc. From what i can see there should be room to get your hands in there for a bit of sizing and fitting.

Regards,

Chris.

pilotpete
21-01-2011, 15:16
I would cut an inspection panel out between the boot and engine bay to get access to the spark plugs on that side and make up a boltable plate to cover it. Woodsport do it on all their conversions now.

dgh938peg
21-01-2011, 15:29
On a mk2 pete - would you? By the time you've removed the carpet and unbolted your panel you could have whipped the plenum off to one side surely?

Galee - if you meant the radiator hoses then they're 32mm or 1.25" it is possible to make it up from a combination of camry and mr2 pipes :)

Galee
21-01-2011, 16:30
Hi thanks for all the replys yes chris the heater pipes that go to the ones on the firewall that normaly leak or fracture The pipes from hell! http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2011/01/92.jpg

The ones from the Camry engine look like are shaped round the engine and don't want them to be kinked. Are these normaly replaced with a new bit of hose that is not shaped?

Also the driveshaft lots of take about supported sharts and celica driveshafts. As this is a NA gearbox can I just use the standard NA driveshafts with it with no poblems and no carrier bracket.

And of corse some photos.

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2011/01/93.jpg

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2011/01/94.jpg

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2011/01/95.jpg

dgh938peg
21-01-2011, 16:32
your N/A driveshafts will not need the support bearing - that is for the turbo gearbox only :)

Galee
21-01-2011, 16:52
That's what I thought so plug and play!

Garbe
21-01-2011, 23:28
Just get new heater hose and they will curve round naturally. You can fit these with the engine in place and tie them together.

Galee
22-01-2011, 07:13
Loverly looks like it's going in the weekend then!

Garbe
22-01-2011, 09:52
That engine mount may give you problems if you leave it attached to the engine - I had mine on the car - not the adapter bit, the silver, rubber bit.