PDA

View Full Version : Camry V6 exhaust with one lambda sensor hole? both feeds from ecu to just the one?

Tyrant
26-08-2010, 13:11
Hi all I have just bought the Tubular manifold and exhaust from on here
My question is there is only one fitment place on the system for the lambda sensor but obviously due to it being a V6 engine is has one on each manifold usually, can I just run the feeds from the ecu both onto the one lambda sensor
You can see the fitting on the right of the right hand manifold i the pic linked below
By doing what Im suggesting the engine in theory will read correct for both manifolds? rather than having to cut another joiner into the system, is this ok
Thank you in advance
picture seen at -

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i251/bruceholder/MR2/ForSale/IMG_0487.jpg

AlunJ
26-08-2010, 14:44
For the cost of a new o2 sensor bung (about a tenner) and a couple of minutes welding it's not worth the hassle of messing around getting it to work properly with a single sensor. 1 sensor in one manifold will NOT read the afr in the opposite manifold any more than standing upwind from someone in a gale will let you smell it when they fart.

Is it worth the risk of the unsensored bank running lean while the other runs rich (misfire or similar) then having the sensor pull out even more fuel because it thinks both banks are rich?

Weird though, that pic does make it look like there're two positions for sensors on that exhaust setup, one on the left manifold, one on the right hand downpipe.

Tyrant
26-08-2010, 15:30
yeah there threaded bungs, I don't know what lambda sensor will work that is a thread type with the camry 3l v6?....
do all lambda sensors just work in the same way so there is not a wrong one etc that can be used....?
Cheers

OlberJ
26-08-2010, 16:12
You have 2 bungs for 2 lambdas there mate.

Your V6 lambdas will screw into them, should be the same thread/pitch.

Tyrant
26-08-2010, 16:29
the v6 ones were not screw in ones, on the exhaust manifolds that were on the car they had were like
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Toyota-Camry-V6-MR2-Manifolds-Flanges-Exhaust-Flexi-/290466847336?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM
forth pic along on that ebay listing
don't know what to buy now that will work or will something like this work with the black wire connected on its own -
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270624408675&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Thanks again in advance :)

Tyrant
26-08-2010, 16:30
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Lambda-Sensor-Avensis-Camry-Carina-Celica-Corolla-Yaris-/140409728396?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM

thats what I've got hence the problem...

OlberJ
26-08-2010, 17:57
Gotcha, the 3VZ's were 2 stud and bolt versions, the 1MZ's screw in's.

Been that long since i looked at a 3VZ i'd plum forgot!

Square ports on the manifolds too so it is probably off a 3VZ. As Alun rightly says, just get 2 lambda flanges welded onto the lambda bungs. The aftermarket lambdas are a bit keich.

AlunJ
26-08-2010, 23:19
Ahhh, I know the type ya mean (I also forgot toyota have a nasty habit of using bolton ones), the original oxygen sensor for my SC motor was the same type. I ended up making a flat plate that fitted the bolt holes and then welded a threaded fitting to it for the wideband sensor I replaced it with.

A 4 wire sensor won't work with just a single wire connected, or at least not as intended. But if it has the same signal voltages as the stock sensor the rest of the connections could be made fairly easily to the wiring harness.

Or you could fit dual threaded wideband sensors and have the controller dummy a standard signal back to the ECU. Slightly pricy but then you could have dual AFR gauges (which would look pimp), and then use universal sensors which're cheaper than toyota ones :icon_wink:

edit: and to answer your question about O2 sensors, they dont' all work the same way. There're two types, narrowband and wideband. A narrowband sensor only tells you if your motor is rich or lean, not by how much (which is good enough for running a fairly standard NA engine). Wideband systems give an actual reading of air / fuel ratio and thus can tell the ECU exactly how much to adjust the fuelling to be spot on the right air / fuel ratio, which is nicer on a tuned motor.

OlberJ
27-08-2010, 10:00
Reminds me of Larry's car when freshly imported from Japan.

Had an AFR guage on the dash with one end reading "Rich" and the other "Rean" :icon_mrgreen: