PDA

View Full Version : 3vz-fe wont start did on tuesday?

007shadow
26-08-2010, 10:31
i started it on Tuesday no problem and manged to drive it round the drive and back in the shed than i bleed the breaks and now it wont start. It tuns over but dose not fire, i did notice a spark by the starter mote,r but the engine is having no problem turning over. I believe and hope it is just a bad connection . I tested the fuse box with a multi meter and when i crank the engine the reading on the fuse box goes down from 12v to about 6ish. When the engine was running it ran very rough on idle and would die out after 10 seconds if i did not rev it but i believe that was more to do with a vacuum leak as i think i could hear one.

anyways here is a video of when it ran

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yUqK_IzZfU

is there anything i should look for/ check to get the engine running properly?

Cheers for your help

nik
26-08-2010, 10:43
start with the easy stuff..
fueling problem? are you getting spark at the plugs? power to the coil? fault codes? ..etc

007shadow
27-08-2010, 13:16
its not a fuel problem i believe its to do with the wiring as there doesn't seem to be a spark i tested by putting a spark plug next to the engine for a ground and no spark? there is power to the fuse box but there doesn't appear to be power to the igniter , can't figure out why though could the ecu have cooked itself? is there anything else i should check that is spark specific....

007shadow
04-09-2010, 08:13
well i am now going to take it to an auto electrician, i have changed the igniter, the distributor cap the coil made no difference,ecu, i have no way to read error codes off the ecu though, the igniter is definitely getting power and so is the coil there just not outputting, hopefully a professional can get it started again,

007shadow
09-09-2010, 05:09
its is now at a mechanic who is also a proud mr2 owner however this seems to have him stumped he has a v6 Camry there and has tested all components to no avail, he has checked the wiring and nope the only thing he has noticed after 3 days is that some things have more voltage than there suppose to and he is trying to fix this for instance the ecu has 12v's instead of 5v's, he is not sure why this is and is trying to fix it still very open to suggestions

Paul Woods
09-09-2010, 07:12
Not being funny mate but it will be extremely hard for any of us to help you if you can't give good feedback, saying " tested all components to no avail" gives us nothing to go off at all.

If you could answer the questions Nik asked that would be a massive help...

"fueling problem? are you getting spark at the plugs? power to the coil? fault codes? ..etc"

Can you also check if the injectors are getting a signal when cranking as well as getting full fuel pressure?

If you are not sure how to test for these we can help.

007shadow
09-09-2010, 10:55
i did answer all these in earlier post sorry it wasn't clear enough
Yes it is getting fuel
No it is not getting spark
Fault codes i am unsure off - but from what the auto electrician has told me there are non
injectors are getting a signal they are getting pressure
By all the components i mean i have checked the ecu,the ignighter, the distributor and rotor arm, the coil the relay's all the fuses all are working as they should be

I have sent the car to the best place i know of , the mechanic there owns 5 mr2's and has his own 3sgte mr2 which he has made into a race car. He also has a Toyota windom at his garage, which is were my engine is out off. (he has not been able to get my mr2 started after 3 days of working on it but he believes its something to do with there being to much voltage at the ecu but cannot figure out why )

At the moment its looking like i might end up scrapping my car so i apologies if i am spamming but i was/am in desperate need of any help.

Barronmr
09-09-2010, 18:14
My friend had a similar problem, user name "JO5MA5" he may of posted about it here so try the search function to bring up his posts.

He had wired it slightly wrong and fried the ecu (or 2). In the end a auto electrician sorted the problem, so double check your wiring.

I'll ask him to let me know what was wrong and post here when I or he can.

Don't worry too much it'll get sorted, just be aware you may require another ECU or to repair the one you have (symptoms sound very similar from memory).

*EDIT* Just remembered his problem was too much voltage at the ecu, which caused something (voltage regulator I think?) to blow in the ecu.

Paul Woods
09-09-2010, 19:38
Ok no spark, we have something to go off now.

Is the coilpack/amplifier bracket well earthed to the chassis, and by that i don't mean just bolted to it, i mean actually earthed with a separate earthing wire running from the bracket to chassis?

007shadow
09-09-2010, 22:26
yes i used a separate earthing return as well as bolted to the chassis for the coil/amplifier
the ecu dose not appear to have blown i also have a spare one anyways (he tested the ecu on another windom/es 300 and it started it no problem) i will look up JO5MA5 cheers for that

Paul Woods
10-09-2010, 06:37
Are you getting ignition power at both the coilpack and amp?

007shadow
10-09-2010, 12:03
by that do you mean the plug that goes into the coil if so yes i am getting 12v
the ignite r i am not 100% sure but i believe so(what would be the best way to test this?) when i put the ht lead from the coil directly to earth there is no spark so power is not coming out of the coil