PDA

View Full Version : Where can I get a hold of 'Old School' Paint

Rosssco
11-05-2010, 19:23
Right, the Paintshop Foreman in my work used to do 'homers' on various cars. He's decent quality (ex-motor trade) and obviously much cheaper than most body shops, especially up this way where they seem to charge what they like.

However, he says he can no longer do any homers because his equipment is for the older paint type which has now been out-lawed :rozzer: and can't be bought in the UK, replaced by water-based paints...

Now any body know where I can get a hold of some? I'm not looking to start an industry here, and he said I'd only need about 1L of each of the two components (can't remember what they are called), so anybody point me in a direction..? :eusa_shifty:

Thank You (and shhhh..)

Jiff Lemon
11-05-2010, 19:26
You talking about good old cellulose? BSM picked up a tin only the other day - Admittedly, the paint factor had put a large "not for commercial use" label on it!:blabla:

Rosssco
11-05-2010, 19:47
Yes, it's for private, 'Theraputic' use only... :-)

Jiff Lemon
11-05-2010, 19:49
and have you tried you local paint suppliers? You'll probably find they still sell it, just have to "mis-label" it.

Rosssco
11-05-2010, 20:26
Well, the guy doing it for me said he'd tried his usual supplier who's usually pretty decent, but he couldn't get it... I'll try a few local suppliers tomorrow, if not, I'll drop BSM a PM and see if he can 'hook me up yoooo'...

coolblues
11-05-2010, 21:30
Try this place on ebay...e-buy-paint-equipment......tel # 0121 5586193.....they will mix cellulose to any colour and keep all the thinners, stopper etc.
also look at JAWEL paint...they do cellulose but it has to be for "vintage" vehicles.
Halfords also used to keep it @ £17.00 litre..don't know if they still do tho'

PaulM
11-05-2010, 21:40
I've used these guys before with success on a metallic for a Merc slk

http://www.carpaint.co.uk/automotive_paint.htm

Rosssco
11-05-2010, 22:18
IIRC, it was metallics that my man was struggling to get (I need Lucerne Silver) - I think he could get solid colours, as it could be used for a 'vintage car'... Hey, my car is 14 years old now...

Cheers for the replys!

snowtigger
11-05-2010, 22:55
That's not vintage 14 years is nothing, it's only considered vintage when most of them are held together with sheer force of will that stops them falling apart, vintage is when it's more rust than metal, vintage is when you get in the car say three hail marys begging it to start on the third go, vintage is when a ploughmans cart has better suspension, vintage is when the fuel gauge goes suddenly from Reading half full to omfg it's got a 100 yards left in the tank , vintage is when there is several layers of paint in different colors all over the body work, vintage means it was made before you were born.
Classic on the other hand is for all it's faults and niggles you still love it and it's your one of a kind vehicule.
Retro classic is when the manufacturers of today haven't got a friggin clue what boring car to make today that will appeal to the yuth( and I know I spelt that wrong) of today, so they look at what the yuth of yesterday wanted and try and make that blander for today's Market.

Mr2some
27-07-2010, 07:32
However, he says he can no longer do any homers because his equipment is for the older paint type which has now been out-lawed :rozzer: and can't be bought in the UK, replaced by water-based paints...

Whats wrong with 2k paint ? I dont see why he cant use that (mask needed of course) ,cellulose is crap, 2k is much more hard wearing, just my 2c..........