PDA

View Full Version : Exhausted!

Driftin_AW
18-05-2005, 10:43
Made some excellent progress on the exhaust tonight, didn't come out too bad for my first attempt at an exhaust. Just needs to be welded up by welding gimp Simon and I need to make another hanger when I find the third bracket
The muffler is straight through but with an expansion chamber in the middle, and does a pretty good job of shutting things up, if needed I can probably squeeze another small resonator in on the section of straight pipe.
The exhaust is a total length of 42 inches, and exits in the middle of the bumper :)
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2005/05/35.jpg
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2005/05/36.jpg
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2005/05/37.jpg

nik
18-05-2005, 12:17
holy shit..that looks noisy...noisy but nice..grroowwlll 8) 8)

Paul Woods
18-05-2005, 16:50
i can hear that from here... :lol: i like the abscence of a flexi pipe,i think a straight through like that with adequate hanger rubbers will be fine...id maybe add a few braces to it so that it moves "with" the engine.Also malcolm id maybe urethane fill your torque mounts like i did to reduce flex even further.....now if that was a conventional transversely mounted silencer it would snap off after a few miles but you shouldnt have a problem with the way you have done that...nice work mal!

Are you ok on noise regs down under?

Driftin_AW
19-05-2005, 09:43
I was thinking about welding a brace between the exhaust and the back of the engine block (think they normally have this standard? haven't worked on a standard anything for a long time), but I'm worried that the elongation of the pipe due to heat could actually increase strain if it's firmly mounted...undecided so far.
I have been thinking about urethane filling the mounts too, but I don't know anywhere that sells urethane resin in NZ

noise regulations are a bit of a tricky matter. Supposedly recently restrictions have been placed on the exhaust noise level, but I haven't had any problems with for instance the rather loud exhaust on the gt4. We'll see, I may even do a 2nd exhaust for passing warrant of fitness inspections...

Paul Woods
19-05-2005, 17:51
malcolm if push comes to shove and you cant get any poly let me know and i will ship you some...costly excercise though,much better if you find some but i dont mind helping you out mate.

Driftin_AW
20-05-2005, 12:52
it's ok mate, found a place that sells it, but they only sell to trade customers, so Malcolm Graham of GPV (graham performance vehicles) will have to contact them to source some urethane for making motor mounts for a some customers ;)
Although I would also be keen to try the windscreen stuff, some people have had good luck with it, others haven't, but it's crapload cheaper than that stuff...

btw paul, you just keep on giving don't you? I hope that oneday (when I'm not a poor student, barely scraping together enough money to build extreme Toyotas) I will have the means to be as generous as you, and to help my fellow car enthusiasts like you are always so willing to do 8)

Paul Woods
20-05-2005, 18:34
naa its a pleasure mate,i have a deep love for these cars,and the 1.5 is the way of things to come so if i can help someone build another all the better,plus i like to think others would do the same for me and thats generally how it works,take kirk for example,straight there with a rack for me.....and yourself,a speedo drive sent all the way from NZ,then Adam knocking up my hub rings,Podge is going to make a CF rear lid one day if he doesnt have another clutcher first! :lol: and then theres nik who created this place,JB is making me some exhaust manifold header plates,so i see it as all swings n roundabouts,one good turn deserves another and all that bollox!