PDA

View Full Version : new twin headlight mod

Paul Woods
04-01-2006, 17:50
hi chaps,ive been beavering away in my mr2 lab trying to come up with a road legal twin headlight mod like my old one except with proper E marking and MOTable dip beams.And by jove i think ive done it! :D

Im not ready to disclose details of the lights just yet,but they are factory production and everyone will be able to buy these from the breakers for ?10-?20 per side.The lamp on the right is the dipped beam halogen unit and the left one is empty for the time being,just got to find a suitable fog light or something for main beam to fit behind the casing,thats easy though now that ive found a legal dip beam unit.
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2006/01/3.jpg

This is the conversion in its early stages,theres a screwdriver propping this lot up that wont come as part of the finished job! The plan is to make a snug surround like i did with the last light conversion,all low rise of course,much lower than the first effort on my 1.5.
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2006/01/4.jpg

So its still all early days but i think these look rather fantastic,when ive worked out how to mount them,make them aim adjustable,wire them up,build surrounds and maybe even a cool perspex cover i'll post up more details,but yes these are part of a headlight assembly found on a current production headlight.

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2006/01/5.jpg

Right,back to the lab (twizzles evil moustache).

Goldy
04-01-2006, 17:56
Looks good paul! What about wacking together a fibreglass shroud or something to finish it off? Would this fit a mk2? =P~

welly_59
04-01-2006, 17:57
looking good there paul, think i'll have to be having a crack at that once you've got it all finished!

no need to rush though mate, you've still got a jig and ohms wiring for us all first!:smile:

Paul Woods
04-01-2006, 18:03
yep simon as mentioned i will be making shrouds out of the originals,that bit is pretty easy....this should adapt to the mk2 fairly easily i would have thought.

Cheers welly! yes once the jig and wiring articles are done i'll do a write up on installing these too.

adamh
04-01-2006, 19:48
lots of shiney chromey stuff .. looks fantastic, is it a thermos flask and a coke can?

lodgeman
04-01-2006, 22:59
ive seen those lights somewhere - possibly inside a larger renault headlight?:-k

Driftin_AW
04-01-2006, 23:51
mmm I like, although personally I would probably prefer flush mounts rather than keeping the pop up lights. The pop ups look better, but the units are too heavy. Anyway, when you release details I will be interested in just the light units :)

boondougal
05-01-2006, 00:29
:praise: :praise: :praise: :praise: :praise:

the Genius strikes again..Do you have a bath installed in your garage that you lie in all day to come up with such...bright..ideas:think:

looks great

nik
05-01-2006, 07:45
v.nice mate..
i too recognise those lights..they look so much better in a mk1..!
be v.interested in this project..maybe podge could make cf surrounds for them..?!

Paul Woods
05-01-2006, 08:21
damn adam you guessed it! :D

Not renault lodge but you're on the right lines as these were part of much larger units.

Boon your fivers in the post mate...moments of madness thats all.

Malcolm i did think about flush mounting with a properly done perspex cover but these units are quite big and it would mean cutting the mounting panel behind the lights and although im never afraid to cut stuff up id never get this car finished if i cut it up anymore!If this car doesnt exist in NZ i'll send you some mate,they are v common here....OH FUCK IT! they are from a fiat punto... http://images.carzone.ie/images/leegarage246.jpg

Yes nik CF surrounds would be the business! the last twin lights i did i just cut and shut the original shrouds,maybe once ive come up with the final design the podgemeister could have a go?

Sponge Bob
05-01-2006, 10:51
Fantastic... will be havoing a go at this when more info is up!!

Nice work guru!

superchargedsam
05-01-2006, 11:02
Hmmm nice ! Paul you gotta get this one sorted or there will be lots of people rushing to scrappies the week before JAE me rekons !

Paul Woods
05-01-2006, 17:36
cheers lads.....right ive done a malcolm version to see what you think,obviously a bit of imagination is req'd here...i removed the whole light unit and plonked the lights as far back as they would go.These would then be boxed in and a perspex cover on top....
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2006/01/8.jpg
The rear panel would need cutting to let the lights sit back a bit more....
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2006/01/9.jpg

So im undecided wether to make these part of the pop up or gut the lot and build boxes with perspex lids,my question to one of you is can you bend perspex easily without discolouring it (heating it up) or breaking it.Id need a small bend in it at the front (look at your own light covers to see what i mean,they dip down at the last 1" or so).... so what do you reckon? pop up or fixed ?

superchargedsam
05-01-2006, 17:40
pop up low rise gotta be ! thats the reason I wanted an TR7 then that moved to an X19 (never owned either) and then settled on the MR2 (well that and the fact they hadnle like a 4 wheeled bike IYSWIM!) ! if peeps are that bothered about the increase in drag from the pop ups they could always just not go out at night !

nik
05-01-2006, 17:51
i would want perspex definately..

djdna2000
05-01-2006, 17:52
I just prefer the sleek look, never been that big a fan of pop-ups.

robwsurf
05-01-2006, 17:54
i think the perspex would look great a bit like fait coupe lights maybe?

welly_59
05-01-2006, 17:55
i say low-rise pops!

superchargedsam
05-01-2006, 17:58
come on guys pop up lights are the stuff of adolesent (not saying a word abotu spelling again!) dreams !

jasper
05-01-2006, 18:08
Ask any 5 year old kid to draw a sports car and it'll have pop up lights and a boot spoiler, blokes never really grow up from the age of 5, so pop up lights.

Paul Woods
05-01-2006, 18:13
mmm this has really split the vote....im more confused than ever! you lot are bloody useless.

Does anyone know if perspex can be bent easily?

superchargedsam
05-01-2006, 18:15
cheers Jasper knew someone would know where I was coming from !

superchargedsam
05-01-2006, 18:21
nope you cant bend perspex easily as it goes a horrible yellow and will look crap and you will have wasted time doing ti so should defo do a pop up version or you could shatter all those childhood dreams we all had for what ? a couple of tenths on the strip at night ! Paul if you go perspex im [-( anymore (damned after comment in other thread perhaps that what you want :poke: )

:-\" perspex goes manky when heated !

Goldy
05-01-2006, 18:21
What about getting hold of fiat coupe headlamp covers and chopping them? That would look pretty good I rekon. If you wanna do the job properly mod your existing headlamp covers with some wood to make the shape you want then take it to your local friendly vaccum formers?

there was a guy on imoc who had his whole engine lid vaccum formed in perspex

superchargedsam
05-01-2006, 18:26
:evil: goldy dont give him ideas or u may find that supercharger blowing wind of a different kind ! now keep to the point everyone healights need to pop up, only a bit but they do need to pop up none the less !
Thinking about it Goldy your idea would actually suit the lines on the MK2 quite well as the fiat light is quite curvy but MK1s need pop ups :evil:

Goldy
05-01-2006, 18:29
Don't get me wrong I like popups .... but.... this isn't a mk1 any longer.... its a mk2, mk1, alfa romeo, renault, wide arch hybrid.... anything goes.

NSX STYLEEE :praise:

http://www.autozine.org/gallery/honda/nsx2_fr3.jpg

Goldy
05-01-2006, 18:32
Just had an even better idea.... what about perspex covered popups? You get the best of both worlds? Would need a funny mechanism if you wanted the lights to work in both positions though :idea:

Gwan Gwan Gwan Gwan Go on....

superchargedsam
05-01-2006, 18:37
if you want that look you should have bought the NSX (secretley we all wish we could have an NSX for the weekdays)! seriously lets stick with the plan that pop ups are the way to go !

Paul Woods
05-01-2006, 18:39
i do like pop ups but i also like this...
http://www.mr2supercharger.com/lightsmods2_files/hlmodsJapgreyA03.jpg

but id want to do a better job than that....decisions decisions! i know malcolms in the perspex camp...i dont know what to do.

jasper
05-01-2006, 18:43
Gotta stick with Sam on this...pop ups are the Mk1

welly_59
05-01-2006, 18:48
you can bend perspex and not discolour it, i'm having a look at google now to see how. People who make their own modified pc towers do it a lot, have a look!

Goldy
05-01-2006, 18:55
Make perspex copy of the original covers then basically use the original motors to motorize the headlight units so they can slide forward (and push up the cover) to sit in the popup position. You could have it on a separate switch so the headlights could be operated in both positions.

I know this would work (in my head anyway) and would be trick as anything.

superchargedsam
05-01-2006, 20:54
Nik cant u lock this thread now to stop this talk of non pop up head lights !

welly_59
05-01-2006, 21:39
yeah they gotta be popup

jasper
05-01-2006, 22:26
"other forum voice on": You got to keep it looking stock...! "other forum voice off."

lodgeman
05-01-2006, 22:27
i'm in the low rise pop up camp!!!!!:hide: but then :primate: (just wanted to use the smilie :wink: )

jasper
05-01-2006, 22:45
Why do I find Monkey love by ferret funny? :lol:

adamh
05-01-2006, 23:16
perspex is alreet, but prolly a bit hard, it might crack/chip with stones. id go with polycarbonate, its alot tougher and will not chip or crack. but with it a little softer, so for instance, if you scratched it with a screwdriver it would gaul it, same as perspex, but the polycarb scratch would be deeper (best i can explain) its hard enough to give a nice sharp finish, follow?.

superchargedsam
06-01-2006, 09:35
so what adam is saying basically is he wants pop ups to as any kind of plastiglass will look shit quickly ! good one fella !

Shugsta
06-01-2006, 10:29
Paul, I'm liking the look of those units a lot. It quite simply has to be pop-ups though, at the risk of being branded unimaginative, I just cant see anything else on a MK1 looking right. Besides, the road safety legislators assigned this design to the grave for new builds so lets keep some retro class intact. :fro:

superchargedsam
06-01-2006, 11:00
shugsta should know he has a black supercharger which has to be one of the top cars as best colour and best engine option before going 1.5 route ! pop ups it is ! (crosses everything)

Paul Woods
06-01-2006, 17:07
a heavy swing towards the pop ups then.....unless anyone fights the perspex corner then pop ups it is....im on the fence here ,i like both.

adamh
06-01-2006, 18:01
the fence is going to fall over real quick then..

i like both too, you cannay have yer cake and eat it, didnt your ma ever tell you?

i shall still send up the bits for your estranged experimentation, work, erm.. brutalness.

welly_59
06-01-2006, 18:04
the fance is ging to fall over real quick then..

whats a fance?

is it a wooden divider that sam builds?

adamh
06-01-2006, 18:06
whats a fance?

is it a wooden divider that sam builds?

:oops: caught in the editing act :slap:

the fance would have to be steel if woodsy is perching on it

Driftin_AW
07-01-2006, 00:56
:gayfight:

I think the low rise pop ups are cool, but for me, if I'm going to the hassle of changing them, I'd like to get rid of the weighty pop up mechanism. Maybe remove the motors and such, then have a little prop rod to hold them up? :lol2:

Anyway, I vote you do whatever you like, and if others also like it, they can buy them! :D

DrunkenDonut
07-01-2006, 02:00
Forget the prop rod, go for a nice gas strut and a latch! Just pull the lever and up pop your lights! :think: Of course, that means going outside and pushing them back down when you're done. :-\"

nik
07-01-2006, 07:28
right..my final word..perspex would be a challange and thats why i would prefer to go down that route..
but super low rise would look great..but until the lights have been retro fitted with covers on in the up position its difficult for me to decide..
would def like to get rid of the whole pop-up mech as i think its a bit naff so prefer perspex..
its a hard decision but it looks like im in the minority..:shrug:

Paul Woods
07-01-2006, 08:23
im in the same boat as nik,cant decide what way to go....so im leaving it up to you lot,starting a poll....and no sam you cant vote twice! :D

poll is here http://twobrutal.co.uk/TBforum/showthread.php?t=1668

Whatever comes out on top is the way i'll do it...................probably :-P

Paul Woods
03-02-2006, 18:33
ive made some good progress on these lights...they already have a road legal dipped beam unit so all i needed was to find a good hi beam unit for the blanked off part of the punto headlight,and boy has it worked out well!

i found a pair of super bright spots in EVO (my local barry boy shop) that slotted straight into the punto blanks....these even have angel eye halos,so the plan is to use the halos as side lights,these look so cool in the flesh.

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2006/02/42.jpg
main beam on the left with halo lit

sorry lads but i think im going perspex with these fellas....theres sam never speaking to me again.......result! lol jokin mate.

Paff
03-02-2006, 19:34
I'd want them in popup form, I've never really liked the perspex flush fit kinda lights. But what the hell do what you feel Paul its your project and I'm sure you'll manage to do it well.

Driftin_AW
04-02-2006, 00:42
good sh*t paul! go the flush mount! :D

superchargedsam
04-02-2006, 01:41
grr grrr grrrr

nik
04-02-2006, 07:32
yay for perspex..when they look that good AND have halos..you cant hide them away..
my order is placed mate..me next please..!!

jasper
04-02-2006, 07:44
Bah! What happened to the poll...? (They do look tops, though it still should be low rise pop ups)

nik
04-02-2006, 07:56
poll.?...dont you know that in this place it pays to go against whats popular..!?

Paul Woods
04-02-2006, 07:58
well what actually decided perspex over pop up was the halos,as nik says got to be on display ,but these can very easily be kept as pop up no probs...you just have to make sure your lights come up with sidelights on...most late specs do this already but mine doesnt for some reason,mine act like an early and only rise with lights full on.

When ive finished these off and mounted them i will look into making a kit of sorts in perspex and pop up form,that should keep sam talking to me :D

superchargedsam
04-02-2006, 10:37
Paul I am guessing podge and myself may be able to turn these in to pop up for ya if you want to give you some time on lily to get her sorted for JAE as I am sure I have your original low rise article somewhere I can use as a basis for it and then making up a pod for them !

Paul Woods
04-02-2006, 15:15
good idea sam,i will find a spare pair of punto lights in the next few weeks and post them down if you want? my old low rise article should work fine,then as you say just mounting them and making surrounds....leave it with me mate.

superchargedsam
04-02-2006, 15:51
nice one and am sure I can convince podge we need to do em in carbon for a bit of front end bling !

David Sleith
16-04-2006, 15:46
Paul - What size halo light did you get.

I see these on E-bay but they are too big for the spare hole or is the halo part a lipped edge that sits on the chromed look part of the blanking plug

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HALO-LED-HALOGEN-FOG-LIGHTS_W0QQitemZ8052128382QQcategoryZ28645QQrdZ1QQ cmdZViewItem

Paul Woods
16-04-2006, 17:38
david i got my "main beam" units from a local company called EVO,i will ask them if they have any more of them as these lights fitted more or less straight into the punto blanks and the halos sat on top of that,purpose built really....i'll see what i can do mate.

Jaemus
18-04-2006, 11:01
wow. this i like, id love to have this on my mk2!
fiat punto you say... havent spotted one of those on parramatta rd... hmmm
*tries to think what you can get here that is similar

Paul Woods
18-04-2006, 17:22
its probably called a fiat wallaby or something down there mate :)

David Sleith
19-04-2006, 08:33
Tried over the last few days to get a light to fit but all too big.

Was looking for the phone number of that EVO shop in yell but can't fnd it.

John
19-04-2006, 09:11
I take it it's something useless in that space on the Punto?

David Sleith
19-04-2006, 09:17
Just a blanking plug

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2006/04/85.jpg

Jaemus
19-04-2006, 11:19
blimey, we aint got no sodding wallabies down in quakers hill, old bean!rotflmao

hmm, maybe i can find something around here thats similar, and handily i think the rules on headlights are a bit less stringent, and they certainly arent inspected for registration, except to see if they work

now how do you go about manufacturing a shroud to go around them? and what about the low-rise mechanical conversion? is there a thread ive missed somewhere...

Jiff Lemon
19-04-2006, 11:37
So the lamps are at the moment, projector style headlamp and fog lamp (the one thats removed from the pic)?

So we'll need a suitable main beam lamp?

David Sleith
19-04-2006, 12:49
The one still in the unit is the dipped beam. The part removed in the pic is a chrome looking plastic blanking plug which we need to replace with a sidelight and main beam assembly.

Been over the tinternet and can't find a unit less than 78mm but Paul has got one from his local boy racer shop (account holder me thinks) which is an ideal fit.

Just wondering though about the E mark. Not got the unit in front of me but normally the E mark is on the corner of the lens and seeing as you cut the casing out how they gonna know its E approved?

John
19-04-2006, 13:20
I thought that referred to the pattern made by the light beam when shone at a wall or something?

David Sleith
19-04-2006, 13:29
Its a european approval thingy and you find it on most things. Just pick up your keyboard or mouse and turn it over and you will see an E mark

Ross
19-04-2006, 15:54
just my personal thing but I think they'd look even better as square or rectangles - not that you seen many cars about like that.

Paff
19-04-2006, 16:03
smaller version of the renault a610 alpine lights could be cool, or at least I think it could.

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2006/04/86.jpg

bit wide on the renault but the right lights on the 2 could look quite wicked

superchargedsam
19-04-2006, 16:14
liking them paff !

Paul Woods
19-04-2006, 17:18
sorry david i meant to check this out for you but been very busy chap,i'll do it tomorrow as im over that way looking at a scrap mk2T.

The units ive fitted into the blanks are well bright,so will be perfect as hi beams....fit perfectly too.

I'll definately update tomorrow on availability at EVO.

GaryA
19-04-2006, 18:30
I built some low rise projector lights out of Punto units , 3 years of testing and they have been ok beam is not too strong and mine have got hot and started to make the silver come off the reflector giving a narrowed beam. Think i should of made them fixed under perspex , a lot easier to make and live with ,changing bulbs and stuff .

Paul Woods
19-04-2006, 18:40
have you got any pics of this mate? bloody hell 3 years ago? there was me thinking i was all clever being the first to use punto beams! nice one.

GaryA
19-04-2006, 19:13
Yeah i'll get some photos of them , i would go in to how i made them but it will take forever so in short they are punto projectors put in to Alfa 156 foglights , built on to an ally frame mounted in the headlight housing with motor crank and rod cut down to only raise them the 80 mm took about three days to make and a lot of lunchtimes cutting Punto headlights up with an air saw.

nik
19-04-2006, 19:45
they sound grand..looking forward to seeing your solution..

GaryA
19-04-2006, 21:20
I've put a pic in me gallery , i know it's a MK2 but i used a grinder on some of it :thumbsup: and some sticky back plastic and squeezy bottles ! Designed on a fag packet built in a shed :driving:

nik
20-04-2006, 09:22
that looks ace mate...

John
20-04-2006, 09:43
Looks good.

Sponge Bob
20-04-2006, 09:45
Wow - nice mod... i've been so tempted to do a twin headlight mod for my car, but the money is drying up something chronic!!!!

Jiff Lemon
20-04-2006, 14:28
thats what credit cards were invented for! :D

Sponge Bob
20-04-2006, 15:24
I've been very good so far thanks Jiffy mate - the last thing I need is 10k's worth of gorgeous car mods, no expense spared, money which is not even mine... hehe

GaryA
20-04-2006, 18:05
Cheers guys , would of liked to develope it a bit more but it was my daily drive so couldnt have it off the road for long . All in all cost me erm nothing, thats the mods we like :thumbsup: . Just a thought how about Fiat coupe light units for the NSX type r look :hmm:

Jiff Lemon
20-04-2006, 18:23
having driven a fiat coupe I can confirm the lights are utterly poop! Maybe its the bum shaped covers on them?

GaryA
20-04-2006, 18:32
Same as Punto projectors, they turn some lovely colours though :gay: . You can tell a Punto coming towards you !

Peebs
20-04-2006, 22:17
The way to go if you wanna bend clear stuff is LEXAN. It look simmilar to perspex, but you can mould it to any shape you like after whackin' a kettle full of boiling water over it. Wicked stuff.

Sponge Bob
20-04-2006, 22:23
Sounds like useful stuff John!! Does it have a thermosetting property or will it keep remoulding when it gets hot?

Paul Woods
21-04-2006, 07:07
yes please tell more john! im having a mare bending some polycarb adam sent me,keep getting friggin bubbles in it!!!! theres no margin for error at all....i like the sound of pouring boiling water on it and just bending it,simple as that?

nik
21-04-2006, 08:19
at school we used a kind of toaster thing..you laid the perspex on it for a few seconds then bent it..was pretty easy with the right tools..maybe use a toaster but put a bit of sheet on top with a slot cut to make the heat area more specific..

lodgeman
21-04-2006, 08:28
how about a george foreman "mean green grilling machine" rotflmao make some burgers at the same time!lol lol ribbed for your pleasure!!!

welly_59
21-04-2006, 10:21
Lexan is a trade mark name for Polycarbonate i thought? Acrylic is the other type of thermo-forming plastic?!?!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lexan

http://www.acrylic-designs.com/plastic_FAQ's.htm

welly_59
21-04-2006, 10:24
Put the acrylic in the oven for a few minutes, placed on top of a piece of cardboard or something similar. should be able to bend and shape it when u bring it out

Marksman
21-04-2006, 13:45
I made a 3d board game once. Clay mould (no need to bake, just squished into shape), a piece of plastic sheet over the top then a 3 bar electric fire suspended over that. The plastic just sagged onto the mould :-)

I was wondering if given 2 pairs of door windows to sandwich between if we could chuck out a few sets of pollycarb windows for track cars?

Cheers,

Owen.

nik
21-04-2006, 16:17
ooh now im interested...tell me more owen...how much lighter is pollycarb than glass..

Marksman
21-04-2006, 16:27
ooh now im interested...tell me more owen...how much lighter is pollycarb than glass..

Not sure, YET. But I'm thinking along the lines of one set of road doors for everyday and another gutted set for track. Do something with a split pin and a hinge, a couple of elec. connectors for easy swappage between the two and off you go. Track doors to have no electrics, central locking, glass, sliders, pulleys etc. TBH was wondering about no windows at all but maybe pollcarb windows and fibreglass TB covers might be good for winter track use.

Door assembly = bloody heavy, door skin = sod all :roll:

Just at the planning stage so far but I do have 2 sets of glass to use as the formers. I was wondering if the glass will conduct enough heat without cracking to assemble a sheet of pollycarb (or whaterer) between two glass sections cold and then heat and ratched clamp shut. Leave to cool, draw around the edges, remove from mould, trim and rivet in...

Any suggestions welcome.

Cheers,

Owen.

Jiff Lemon
21-04-2006, 16:56
sounds like a plan! Could be up for a set :)

David Sleith
21-04-2006, 18:47
Just to get the thread back on track - Paul - Those headlights you have don't happen to be made by a company called Satuga?

http://www.satuga.com/

Paul Woods
21-04-2006, 18:56
damn i forgot to check with evo,i knew there was something i had to do today.....mushy pea brain! i will have a look at them on monday mate and see what name is on them.

Peebs
26-04-2006, 01:09
Sorry, should have posted back a long time ago. Been following too many thread I think, hehe.

One of my friends makes motorcycle screens from this stuff at home, look superb when finished.

Not sure if it will resist a 5million watt headlamp bulb a mil and a half away from it though, could be thermoplast (opposite to thermoset)

I'll ask him about it. For the meantime here is a little info I found on google for it.

http://www.polymerplastics.com/transparents_lexan.shtml

http://www.sdplastics.com/polycarb.html - beware harse on the eyes.

http://www.modernplastics.com/lexan.html

http://www.goodfellow.com/csp/active/static/A/Polycarbonate.HTML -beware tech info, argh! Good stuff though.

Paul Woods
26-04-2006, 06:15
david i had a look at the lamps and theres no names or markings on them at all,i will have to go back to evo and ask them for details mate.

David Sleith
26-04-2006, 06:48
Even just post up their number mate and I can phone them.

Paul Woods
26-04-2006, 06:52
ha i just found their contact details,why didnt i do this before?

http://www.evoperformance.co.uk/page/find_evolution_r_3.cfm

had a quick look through the site though and no mention of the lamps i bought,if you dont get anywhere with them mate i will call round personally and take the lamps with me and get details that way.

David Sleith
26-04-2006, 06:53
Your a star

Cheers

David Sleith
27-04-2006, 00:31
Phoned these guys yesterday and got told they don't sell sets of single halo lights. All they do are headlight conversions for particular cars such as Corsa's etc.

Paul Woods
27-04-2006, 06:51
right i'll go see them,i bought them from them so how can they say that? muppets! im going over that way tomorrow so will call in armed with the lights i bought from them.

Paul Woods
01-05-2006, 07:13
just found this mod by g.rosen over on mr2oc.com ,hella units,one dip,one main but wired separately so that they dont all come on main beam like my previous twins did,looks mint!

http://www.geocities.com/jsrdds/HeadLampsAnimated2.gif

millentubby
01-05-2006, 11:09
I really want to do a set of quad headlights now...

what are the legality issues and how easy is it to adjust the height the lamps rise to? Is it playing with the mechanisms to shorten the travel, or adding a resistor to slow the motor? or is there a sensor that knows when the headlamp has reached its limit?

Paul Woods
01-05-2006, 18:25
its lots of fiddling with the motor arms to adjust length etc

GaryA
01-05-2006, 19:22
The way i did it was to make templates for the motor arm (it's a bit like a wiper motor ) so motor arm goes in a circle this gives you your height shorten this then take the same amount off the connecting rod so when the headlights down it isn't left stuck up in the air .It's a lot of work and one of those things thats on display so has to look good which is the hard part. It's a bit like a f355 kit on MK2 it's clever but it don't look right ! :hidesbehi

g.rosen
03-05-2006, 05:19
Hey Paul. I've been loosely following your lamps on this thread and I was surprised when I saw my car. I'm getting world-wide recognition now, yeah? (just kidding) Thanks for the compliment. I was going to wire in a relay to have all 4 lights on for main beams (hi beams for us), but once I watched my video, I changed my mind. I remember seeing the lamps on your old mk1.5 and liking the way they looked.

I'm pretty sure you guys can get the same Hella 90mm lamps over there too. There are even HID versions for those who can't control their spending habits.

its lots of fiddling with the motor arms to adjust length etc

You can say that again.

Paul Woods
03-05-2006, 06:53
hi g,not enough people have the balls to try this mate,so you deserve the recognition,although fiddling with those motor arms and push rods makes you wonder if its worth it! Have you got the scrapes up your arms? :)

Cracking mod though,looks the business...my version looked good but wasnt road legal.

g.rosen
03-05-2006, 08:55
Thanks again. It's pretty neat to have a mod that you don't see too often. Funny thing is that in the middle of the headlight project, I bought an extra set of stock headlamp buckets thinking I wasn't going to finish the mod in a reasonable amount of time. I guess that's because I actually modified two sets. The first one allowed me to learn a lot about how I needed to do the second one. It seems like I end up making two of a lot of things before I get one I'm happy with.

There's definitely not a lot of room to work in there. Yep, I've got the scrapes on my arms and fingers. No telling which part of this swap is responsible for those.

I like all those mk1.5's you're turning out over there and this forum that links them all together. I guess I'm with superchargedsam and I'll cast my vote for pop-ups (but then again I'm a bit biased). Your car is going to be incredible when it's finished.

Greg

Jiff Lemon
03-05-2006, 08:59
I'm pretty sure you guys can get the same Hella 90mm lamps over there too. There are even HID versions for those who can't control their spending habits.

Don't suppose you've any part numbers to save me trawling through catalogues? :)

g.rosen
03-05-2006, 10:02
You bet. Here's a Website with all the information for ya:

http://www.rallylights.com/hella/90mm_modules.asp

superchargedsam
03-05-2006, 10:41
wow thats a mean looking light set up ! Hella make soom good stuff and am sure they should easily be available over here (wanders off to find his old mate google) !

superchargedsam
03-05-2006, 10:45
anyone got a range rover near by to measure the lights ?

http://www.hids4u.co.uk/product_details.asp?id=288

superchargedsam
03-05-2006, 11:07
stuffed if i can find them this side otpond ! hellas site aint to helpful ! Mr Rosen do you have the hella part numbers at all ?

Jiff Lemon
03-05-2006, 11:54
last time I looked at a set of projector type bulbs, the beam pattern was set by a small metal insert, giving the correct pattern. If these are similar it'd just be a case of flipping the insert over to give a UK pattern.

David Sleith
03-05-2006, 12:42
Try this link for more info

http://faqlight.carpassion.info/hella-90mm/

superchargedsam
03-05-2006, 13:01
bugger I just realised I rekon I have a set of these sat in my garage from my endurance fairinf for my 24 hour bike ! feck it and I aint back there today ! they look identical to them !

Jiff Lemon
03-05-2006, 14:23
holy cow, if I'm reading this right, the dip beams are ?30 each!

I'm guessing 1BL 008 193 007 for dips, 1K0 008 191-007 for mains with a sidelight (1K0 008 191-017 without)

David Sleith
03-05-2006, 14:36
Source for them in the UK

http://www.s-v-c.co.uk/SVCHEADLIGHTS.HTM

or Demon tweeks but they are more expensive

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/products/search.asp?keyword=hella+90mm&classCode=all&brandCode=all&x=19&y=9

Jiff Lemon
03-05-2006, 14:38
much prefer the idea of paying 43 euros (?30) from germany....

g.rosen
03-05-2006, 20:22
I used part numbers HL68136 and HL68137 (from rallylights.com (http://www.rallylights.com/hella/90mm_modules.asp)). From what I remember the dip beam pattern could be changed by rotating the housing.

millentubby
03-05-2006, 22:43
I still like the idea of grabbing a punto unit from the scrap yard. can then strip it as bare as possible and go from there.

David Sleith
05-05-2006, 11:24
Anybody think this would fit?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8062531474&fromMakeTrack=true

The Nissan 200 SX headlight units are very similiar in pics but haven't actually seen them in the flesh.

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2006/05/37.jpg

superchargedsam
05-05-2006, 11:35
Jiff I have a german mate who works in my office in amsterdam, it might be possible to get them cheaply shipped to him and I can bring them back with me when I go over which is most weeks and a set in hand luggage aint gonna be an issue really !

Jiff Lemon
05-05-2006, 15:45
yeah the only snag is that the german website doesn't exist anymore :( Doesn't bode well does it?

superchargedsam
05-05-2006, 15:48
ah bugger ! Would have been ideal way to get them cheap as well ! reminds me will pop off to the loft and see if I can find those lights as Im convinced they are these !

superchargedsam
05-05-2006, 16:41
ok found my endurance lights from my 24 hour bike fairing ! No markings so no idea what they are, bulbs are H3 though !

Jiff Lemon
05-05-2006, 22:27
Get some power to them sam and check out the beam pattern.

superchargedsam
06-05-2006, 18:37
looking at those front lenses its gonna be very direct I rekon although they look like a pair of fish eyes so who knows, will power em 2mozza and have a look on the back of the garage door but no markings on them and running H3 bulbs !

lodgeman
08-05-2006, 19:02
dont know if it helps or not but halfrauds are selling 90mm round driving lamps - e marked- with halos for around ?75 comes with frame etc

millentubby
10-05-2006, 11:37
Are driving lamps headlamps?

I mean can they be used as a substitute for full beam or dipped?

Can someone explain driving lights to me!

Cheers!

Jiff Lemon
10-05-2006, 11:39
Driving lamps would substitute full beams

superchargedsam
10-05-2006, 11:44
Millen that was a good question actually as I guess a few of us were unsure on this !

Paul Woods
10-05-2006, 18:13
yeah jiffs right,they will do as mains,in fact anything will from candles to lighthouse bulbs,its getting a legal dip beam pattern thats tricky,hence mr punto.

David Sleith
10-05-2006, 20:38
Couple of links to guys fitting the Hella lights

http://www.mx6.com/forums/printthread.php?t=105898&pp=40

http://home.comcast.net/~c.tangonan/galant/Projector_Tutorial.html

http://www.angelfire.com/home/SH0ckforce/Projects/

Jiff Lemon
10-05-2006, 22:12
See? ?60 for a pair from the states!

millentubby
11-05-2006, 03:29
There's a set of headlights I'd love on my mk1....

They're very distinctive when you see them out on the road - Proper BMW angel-eyes...might have a look-see in the scrappies if they've got any. Might be pricey though :(

superchargedsam
11-05-2006, 10:16
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MR-2-AW11-84-89-PROJECTOR-HEADLIGHT-NEW_W0QQitemZ8062868951QQcategoryZ23009QQrdZ1QQcmd ZViewItem

ouch !

millentubby
13-05-2006, 04:30
dunno if these folks do projectors...but have a gander at this ;)

http://www.cars-gb.com/cibie.htm

David Sleith
15-05-2006, 21:10
Got myself a set of Hella units

Main Beam with side light 1KO 008 191-007 ?34 + VAT each

Dipped Beam 1LL 08 193-117 ?29 + Vat each

They are both 90mm units and E-marked

You get the adjusters with it but you need the mounting bracket 9F8 157 659 007 which are only a few quid each

They are an overnight order from the Hella factory to your local stockist.

If you live near Glasgow I got mine from Protek in Petershill Road

I was hoping to get the units as far up as possible so that I could lower the full raise height but it didn't turn out that way due to the depth of the units althought in restrospect I probably could have gotten them a little higher and made it look a little better.

The cover was made out of the existing cover plus some Ally plate and fibreglassed into positioned and sprayed matt black.

Some pics for you soon when I get this friggin pc sorted

jasper
15-05-2006, 21:45
Waiting in anticipation...

superchargedsam
15-05-2006, 22:09
sounding good fella !

Jiff Lemon
15-05-2006, 22:15
Can't wait for the pics - ?126 plus the dreaded doesn't sound like the end of the world to me; Punto headlamps seem to have rocketed in price since Woodsy discovered em!

David Sleith
15-05-2006, 23:29
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2006/05/132.jpg

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2006/05/133.jpg

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2006/05/134.jpg

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2006/05/135.jpg

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2006/05/136.jpg

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2006/05/137.jpg

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2006/05/138.jpg

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2006/05/139.jpg

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2006/05/140.jpg

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2006/05/141.jpg

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2006/05/142.jpg

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2006/05/143.jpg

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2006/05/144.jpg

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2006/05/145.jpg

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2006/05/146.jpg

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2006/05/147.jpg

Shugsta
15-05-2006, 23:48
Tidy work there Dave. They look the muts.

David Sleith
16-05-2006, 10:39
I'm not so sure. I think the lamp unit sits too high now for the height of the lamps.

Tempted to rip it out and try it again. Might have a go with the other side to get the lamps more angled and make a complete new shroud up out of ally. The lamp units are spot on and very easily adjusted so no probs for MOT but trying to get the factory fitted look is the tricky part.

superchargedsam
16-05-2006, 13:16
think once bmber and bonnet and bodywork all on they will look spot on fella and MOT friendly to boot is just an added bonus ! ;)

Rosssco
16-05-2006, 18:37
Just coming up with stupid ideas here, but what if instead of struggling to get a small lamp unit to work in a flush fit way with perspex / glass (its a narrow angle), that you mounted the lamp unit at an angle pointing upwards (in the closed position), but have the unit 'hinged' at the front rather than the back, so when the lamp is switched on the rear of the unit rises up hence pointing the beam in the correct orientation............ :nuts:

Is this making sense / been thought of / ruled out etc.....?

Might look crap though and possibly a complete bugger to make.

Ross

John
16-05-2006, 19:02
Like Porsche 928 and 968?

Rosssco
16-05-2006, 20:47
Like Porsche 928 and 968?

Yeah like that but not as extreme, just to get a bit more angle. Maybe too much effort for all the difference it would make........

David Sleith
17-05-2006, 08:23
Change of plans

Wasn't entirely happy with the height of the unit so I tried it a different way on the other side.

Much better

Welded two hinges to the roof of the lamp unit and bolted the adjuster brackets to them. Lowered the pop ups by hand till got the right clearance and then bolted up the lower part of the bracket once vertical to the bottom of the lamp.

Had to cut the whole of the top out of the internal original lamp holder to make it fit.

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2006/05/169.jpg

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2006/05/170.jpg

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2006/05/171.jpg

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2006/05/172.jpg

Paff
17-05-2006, 08:33
Looking good there mate, might have to steal your idea for myself at some point :-)

nik
17-05-2006, 08:35
now that i like in a big way...superb..

superchargedsam
17-05-2006, 08:49
am with nik on that my words exactly !

nik
17-05-2006, 08:51
this def needs a thread of its own david..!

superchargedsam
17-05-2006, 09:01
yup as a build sheet would be good for these as defo up for making these as always wanted the twin rounds like you can get for the MX5 !

Shugsta
17-05-2006, 11:19
Hats off to you David. The rethink has defo turned out better. It's good to see folks brave enough to dismiss (learn from) prior effort in the quest for perfection. In this case it's defo paid off.

Will you be fabing up an ali shroud for the lights in a similar way to before or have ye rethunked that approach too?

Dito....Needs it's own thread.

David Sleith
17-05-2006, 12:10
Was thinking about a complete new ally shroud - tonights project!

John
17-05-2006, 13:45
Looks excellent.

adamh
17-05-2006, 19:51
they look mean.. silly question, i cant figure out if they still flip?

Paul Woods
18-05-2006, 06:51
i agree,its superb david,you should do a little write up on the ins and outs of it...by the time you make the shroud for those its going to look perfect.

David Sleith
18-05-2006, 08:13
I'll do more of a write up for the other side when I go back and redo it.

In the meantime I have made a start on the shroud. Not finished yet as I need the bonnet and bumper on so that I can make a little lip at the bottom so that there are no gaps.

I'm not entirely happy its gonna look the way I want it yet but at least I have plenty of ally sheet so no problems other than time if its wrong.

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2006/05/174.jpg

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2006/05/175.jpg

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2006/05/176.jpg

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2006/05/177.jpg

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2006/05/178.jpg

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2006/05/179.jpg

millentubby
18-05-2006, 09:08
Superb!

fully adjustable...and looking good! Excellent engineering solution! :th:

Gotta get me some hinges and a welder...and some light units :?

superchargedsam
18-05-2006, 09:11
am loving this mod more every time I see the pics !

Shugsta
18-05-2006, 12:20
I can feel an asbo coming on. :thumbsup:

Rowdan
18-05-2006, 12:48
I can feel an asbo coming on. :thumbsup:

I concur, sheer class.:clap:

monito_Mr2
30-06-2006, 03:25
Hola paul I write to you to be grateful for yourself for the link, already I am a user and me and informed enough on of them mr2, ojala have photos of the finished work.
Thank you very much for your help

Paul Woods
30-06-2006, 06:17
yer welcome,have you got pics of your car (hope babelfish does its job!)

millentubby
20-08-2006, 19:38
Was looking at my friends new ford Puma the other day ('98 model) and noticed....has projector main and dipped beams...

Could be useful? ;)

Am scouring local scrap yards but no joy as of yet!

Sparky
22-08-2006, 03:16
just to add I have had a quick look at the honda oddessy people carrier. how about those?

superchargedsam
22-08-2006, 10:14
sparky they aint so common this side of the water fella !

jasper
28-08-2006, 22:58
Here you go Paul (and anyone else who doesn't want pop ups (Grrr!)), no need for translation, pics speak for themselves...

http://www.h4.dion.ne.jp/~mr2/raito.html

Marksman
28-08-2006, 23:11
Hmm, pretty car.

Looking at the last few pics in the series I wonder if having them set that far back will shade off light in the center directly in front of the car? (If you see what I mean.)

O.S.

jasper
28-08-2006, 23:20
See what ya mean O, not sure TBH. Hit the back button, he's put shit loads of work into that car.

Paul Woods
29-08-2006, 06:51
cracking link that jasp,thats not the worst light conversion ive ever seen,very nice...i think the lights are a little big though,hence why hes had to chop so far into the front bumper skin...quality work though.

I reckon you might be right owen,the beam could well be hitting the sides of its tunnel before lighting the road up,probably just narrow the beam.

John
29-08-2006, 09:47
He's been a busy fella. Looks like a good car.

Edit: Just looked through the whole site. Inspirational.
(Although not convinced that the under body intercooler with scoop would be a good idea in our climate!)

Zip
29-08-2006, 11:24
Here you go Paul (and anyone else who doesn't want pop ups (Grrr!)), no need for translation, pics speak for themselves...

http://www.h4.dion.ne.jp/~mr2/raito.html

And for those that want to read it in english i used google and got it translated for ya :)

http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.h4.dion.ne.jp%2F%7Emr 2%2Fraito.html&langpair=ja%7Cen&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&prev=%2Flanguage_tools

It looks very well done:cool:

Garbe
29-08-2006, 11:56
The finished lights look great, even though i love me pop ups

jasper
29-08-2006, 17:27
and in true TB style he used a bin as the base....

Sparky
31-08-2006, 09:21
absolutly love the bin. but I deffinitly would not loose the pop ups. There is one shot in particular there where the car seams to look like a nissan 180 to me (even though a 180 also has pop ups - I dont know what it is but it just looks like a 180 to me :confused: ). Thats not a bad thing but I did buy an MR2 so I would like it to look like an MR2. :)

jasper
31-08-2006, 16:48
Yup, quality job and all that but deffo agree that it should keep the pop ups, Sparks. If you look to the beginning of this thread you will see that we had a bit of a debate, pop ups won...I think.

Zip
31-08-2006, 16:56
The only problem i have with pop ups is the little bit of extra weight they can add.
Other then that i dont mind them at all :)

pistol pete
08-09-2006, 03:01
i dunno
i really liked the look with out teh pop ups
pop ups do not bother me
love th colour of that car
just gonna go back and have a look at the rest of his project

and if anyone makes a kit like that for the mk1 i am interested if not i am gonna look at pauls twin headlamp conversion

pistol pete
08-09-2006, 03:06
bloody hell
there is a lot of work gone into that
like it lots

love the dash i want i want

Paul Woods
08-09-2006, 06:33
ha ha good man pete,another vote for fixed lights,the force is shifting sam!

jasper
08-09-2006, 07:39
Boo! Hiss! Burn the heretic