PDA

View Full Version : BC Coilovers

T.I.M
07-09-2009, 22:09
Has anyone had any experience of BC coilovers?

I've been recommended them as a cheaper alternative to get my car set up the way i'd like it for the roads, as opposed to tein and eibach etc.

On a side note, if anyone around the west of scotland is lookin for a suspension guru to set up their car, Kenny Brown in Hillington has done mine today and it feels a million miles better than it did before. And he's a really nice guy as well. Makes it a more pleasant experience when paying a bill to someone who is nice.

Gary Symons
07-09-2009, 22:12
Did you try the search button? :)
http://forums.twobrutal.com/showthread.php?t=15661

T.I.M
07-09-2009, 22:19
Did you try the search button? :)
http://forums.twobrutal.com/showthread.php?t=15661

:blush:

...cheers gary, I am a lazy barsteward, i know :mrgreen:

vish
07-09-2009, 23:38
hey mate i've got bc's on my mr2...its down with paul atm getting clutch etc done but id be happy 2 take you out in it when its back up the road - i stay in bearsden mate :)

the bc's imho are a good value coily...on their softest setting they are brilliant for the daily driving...and they do go reasonably low.

as for kenny brown i know his son who works there really sound bloke...the only other guy i know who is really good up here is John at Progrip in Bonnybridge...

nikwills
08-09-2009, 10:21
Hiya chaps,
I was talking to a helpful chap this morning who makes up my brakelines for me, he builds track and race cars, and he was telling me about a mk1 that he has converted to coilovers - I think it is raced in the mr2 challenge.....he used the standard strut bodies with new KYB dampers and his own threaded tubes and aluminium locking rings etc, he tells me he can do all 4 corners fitted for about £350 (dampers not included - takes about a day to all 4 corners), this will include the corners weighing and setting up on completion of fitting, he is not 100% sure on spring ratings for road use but reckons in the region of 200lb on the front and 300lb on the rear might be somewhere near?? Can anyone out there give me a more accurate spring rating?
The lower spring plate/dish is removed from the strut and the threaded tube is welded in place, he showed me some fitted to some other cars and they do look a proper job.
He also suggested I get rid of the tie rods, (as he makes them also lol), when I take my mk1 up there for measuring up for the coilovers he is going to measure up for the tie rods......for these he uses chrome moly tube which is threaded and uses top quality rose joints on the ends....I should be able to arrange a group buy on the tie rods if anyone is interested - although probabley UK only as postage charges could be expensive for overseas........

Jim-SR
08-09-2009, 10:56
id start out with spring rates closer matched between front and rear. given that youve got a V6 in the back probably mismatch them by 50lbs. rates will depend on the dampers to some extent. if youre running stock then stay softer, if youre running KYB/Koni/Tokico then youll want to go stiffer.

on stock dampers id probably start out around 185/225. on Koni's id go more like 225/275 with adjustment in the middle. its going to come down to preference though. whichever way you run it dont go too low and run bump rubbers.

out of interest who is it, X-Sport? i might be interested in a set of the tie rods depending on price and quality. theyll need to be left hand/right hand threaded though!!

nikwills
08-09-2009, 12:16
Hi Jim, yes it is X-sport, when they did a mk1 previousley they used KYB dampers that the customer requested and they reckon hes well chuffed with the set up....do you reckon the same springs as the konis if I go with KYB, at the moment I am on tired std dampers and apex lowering springs (about 4") would that be too low for the coil overs, he can get me spring lengths to suit the ride height I was beginning to think 4" is too low as I can't get my trolley jack under the car - I have to lift the body with the scissor jack a bit first lol.
As for the tie rods it is only something we were chatting about this morning, but he did say everything would stay fully adjustable so I presume they would be left/right hand threaded, they use chrome moly tubing. I will see if I can get a photo of one next time I go up there in a couple of weeks time.....

Diesel Meister
08-09-2009, 12:28
That's really useful info guys. And particularly good info (for me) re. spring rates there Jim - cheers.

Jim-SR
08-09-2009, 17:53
Hi Jim, yes it is X-sport, when they did a mk1 previousley they used KYB dampers that the customer requested and they reckon hes well chuffed with the set up....do you reckon the same springs as the konis if I go with KYB, at the moment I am on tired std dampers and apex lowering springs (about 4") would that be too low for the coil overs, he can get me spring lengths to suit the ride height I was beginning to think 4" is too low as I can't get my trolley jack under the car - I have to lift the body with the scissor jack a bit first lol.
As for the tie rods it is only something we were chatting about this morning, but he did say everything would stay fully adjustable so I presume they would be left/right hand threaded, they use chrome moly tubing. I will see if I can get a photo of one next time I go up there in a couple of weeks time.....

id look to lower it more like an inch over standard, 2" at max. below that and youre severely limiting the damper travel and the geometry all goes to sh*t. it might look a little high, but it will be better for performance.

id probably be inclined to run similar spring rates with Koni, Tokico, KYB, etc. they are all fairly similar in damping rates, all of them lack sufficient bump damping to run softer springs.

T.I.M
09-09-2009, 14:22
hey mate i've got bc's on my mr2...its down with paul atm getting clutch etc done but id be happy 2 take you out in it when its back up the road - i stay in bearsden mate :)

the bc's imho are a good value coily...on their softest setting they are brilliant for the daily driving...and they do go reasonably low.

as for kenny brown i know his son who works there really sound bloke...the only other guy i know who is really good up here is John at Progrip in Bonnybridge...

Vish, that sounds good mate. Gimme a PM when you get the car back and aare free to do so and I'll try n get up to meet you. I'm in kilmacolm, so not too far from you