PDA

View Full Version : Coilover kit for MK1s (AMR Engineering)

Zip
07-09-2009, 09:11
Hi all.
Its been awhile since ive posted something on here

Found these while browsing the internet.

Description
We can make coilovers for practically any car. We love taking on projects big or small. For example this set we made for one of our customers who owns a AW11. If this doesn't bring you back in time, we're not sure what will. Old school application here. Assembled here in the USA, our custom coilover systems are designed to meet your needs. Our coilovers feature a mono-tube design, and machined using the latest tooling and equipment. Our machine work is simply outstanding, and we take great pride in the quality of our work. These are available rebound adjustable only and feature a distinct 8 click design. Our coilovers also allow you to adjust both preload and shock length. So adjusting both ride height and preload is fast, and simple. With the ability to adjust shock length you maintain your shock travel, and lower your car without sacrificing too much ride quality. Our AW11 application also includes front and rear spherical bearings as well as our adjustable front camber plates up front. These are meant to be the last coilovers you will ever need for your vehicle and come with a lifetime warranty on both the damper and spring. Speak to us today about getting a set made specifically for you and your driving needs. No more guessing games, leave it to us, and we guarentee you will love the ride quality and performance of our product. Take a close look at the detailed pictures of our AW11 coilovers and it very apparent that our tooling leaves a awesome finish, and our machine work is simply outstanding. We have also made provisions for your stock hardware such as brake lines and swaybar.

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2009/09/28.jpg

http://www.amrengineering.com/proddetail.html?veid=25

Hope these help someone on the look out for some. Id like to know Jim what he thinks though:thumbsup:

Jim-SR
07-09-2009, 12:18
they look alright, but that doesnt really tell us anything. D2's look quite nice at first glance lol. they are $1600, so that is either a sign of higher quality work, higher markup, or the fact they are US manufactured and not Chinese and thus the higher cost of labour, materials, overheads, etc. so that doesnt really tell us anything either. at $1600 they want to be VERY good, thats into KW, Bilstein, AST, etc territory. none of them make a mk1 MR2 damper, but they all make respectable mk2 kit and are very much midrange kit. then beyond about $2500 youve got Ohlins, Penske, etc.

thats also the same price bracket as im looking to get a set of dampers produced in for the AW11. somewhere around the £1000 mark at an estimate.

without seeing dyno graphs its impossible to get any idea at all as to the performance. and without testing them for myself its impossible to get an honest look at the quality. friction is almost always the biggest issue with cheaply made monotube designs.

so i cant really make a judgement on them unless someone wants to risk $1600 buying a set and then lending them to me to slap on a dyno lol.

Diesel Meister
07-09-2009, 12:25
I'd be really interested in any solution that enhances body and wheel control without turning the ride quality to stone, frankly. Diamond-hard suspension just isn't necessary on the road.

I had a cheap set of coil-overs on a car once - I've met more soothing and compliant political extremists! And extremists are less likely to rust (although perhaps about equally prone to seizure).

BSM
07-09-2009, 17:39
I'm looking at playing around with a set of shock tubes to convert to coil overs, much as Lodge did. Rally design do a kit, but not sure on quality??!!??

snowtigger
07-09-2009, 17:46
Would be very interesting si as my lower spring platforms are about 1mm away from the tire.

Diesel Meister
07-09-2009, 19:33
Tigger - you running 17s? The room in the front on the AW11 is especially tight without resorting coils and possibly adjustable camber plates.

I'm thinking I'll likely go with some GC sleeves over konis unless a better sub £obscene option become available.

Jim - tha gauntlet is upside ya head bwoi. Innit lol