PDA

View Full Version : arghhhhh, flat battery again

Gary Symons
25-08-2009, 10:22
Went to start the car last week and the battery was dead, I assumed from lack of proper use recently. charged it up and all was fine, now the damn thing is flat again. Battery is new so i guess I need a new alternator. Will charge it back up and have a check today.

What is the deal with the deadlocks on the mk3, if I had activated them what happens when the battery dies? will the key disengage them manually? I was a little paranoid so didnt bother activating them after the last battery charge.

loadswine
25-08-2009, 12:14
I think the key will disengage them, but I've not tried in that situation. I usually leave mine for long periods of time in between using the car, so disable the motion sensors inside the car by pressing 3 times on the lock button. That helps with battery drain.

Gary Symons
25-08-2009, 12:17
I think the key will disengage them, but I've not tried in that situation. I usually leave mine for long periods of time in between using the car, so disable the motion sensors inside the car by pressing 3 times on the lock button. That helps with battery drain.

Didnt think to do that :thumbsup: only discovered that feature a relatively short time ago. It was a real pain washing the car and constantly setting the alarm off lol

snowtigger
25-08-2009, 12:21
I don't know you mk3 owners with your little foibles, car alarms are the biggest drain on a battery if the charge system is not in tip top condition also Gary check the alternator before you bin it I have none new batterys to fail.

OlberJ
26-08-2009, 00:29
Yeah get a multimeter on the battery and check for a drain, then check your charging rate and finally you're alternator wiring.

Once you've dismissed all those, then look at a new battery.

AlunJ
26-08-2009, 03:31
If you do find there's a drain but are having problems locating it, you can get a nice lil ammeter with blade-fuse style fittings from maplin. Handy for all sorts o' lil things, just cycle through the fusebox switching fuses with the ammeter and you'll have a fair idea where the power is going ;)

Gary Symons
26-08-2009, 19:38
Still not worked this one out, the battery took a full charge quite happily. I have had the meter on the car a moment ago and the alternator appears to be working just fine.

I guess its either a faulty battery or an electrical fault that is draining the battery too quickly. Will start checking the circuits tomorrow. I have left the battery connected all day and will keep monitoring it too.

snowtigger
26-08-2009, 21:07
Sounds to me like car alarm drain most of the problems with power drain have been from alarms.

Gary Symons
03-09-2009, 14:12
Well I am pretty sure now that there is nothing wrong. I guess the battery was so flat after being stood it didnt take a proper charge the first time.

The moral of the story, if you are going to leave a car unused for a few weeks get a trickle charger onto the battery.

May still buy some jump leads to take to JAE though, just in case :P

biteme
03-09-2009, 14:44
Well I am pretty sure now that there is nothing wrong. I guess the battery was so flat after being stood it didnt take a proper charge the first time.

The moral of the story, if you are going to leave a car unused for a few weeks get a trickle charger onto the battery.

May still buy some jump leads to take to JAE though, just in case :P

I'll have my booster pack, Gaz - no need for Jump Leads!