PDA

View Full Version : Can I run a MAP sensor?

Goldy
28-12-2005, 14:13
I'm running out of space in my engine bay at the moment and I need a bit more flexibility, as well as this I think my AFM will max out when the supercharger comes on boost.

I was wondering if it is possible to run a MAP sensor instead of an AFM on my engine running standard ecu and an Apexi SAFC2.

Are the outputs from a map sensor comparable to an AFM?
Does anyone have any values for the output of a MAP sensor?
The SAFC has functions to run from MAP or AFM but i'm still not sure if this will work?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks -

Simon

Paul Woods
28-12-2005, 14:23
mmmm tricky one simon mate,the problem is knowing which pins on the AFM and which pins on the MAP are the signal wires,the second problem is the values that the AFM outputs might be very different to those of the MAP,thirdly you will need to run a positive pressure MAP sensor as an NA one wont signal at all under boost conditions....so a mk2 turbo MAP would be the one to use.

Personally i think there will be plenty of mapping left in your stock ecu for 5psi,your stock AFM wont max out as easily as you think it will,5psi is nothing mate...and all your AFM is dealing with is extra airflow,i think it'll be ok.But if you can get a mk2 turbo MAP to work on your SAFC then that would be cool.

Goldy
28-12-2005, 15:17
hrms cheers paul.... I know what afm pins do what already.... as I had to work it out to wire in the SAFC... the reason i think it may max out is that the afm registers around 70 - 75% airflow when I boot it (i think i've had it up to 79% once). I'm expecting the supercharger to suck 30%ish more airflow through the afm so I would assume that this would max the damn thing out or be close to the limit.

The real problem though is more of a space issue. I'm trying to work out where the hell to put this intercooler ideally it should mount in the standard turbo position, but the supercharger is near that side and space is going to be very limited. I think the best solution would be to mount it where it is mounted in the mk1 supercharger however I deffo need to ditch the airbox to do that and removing the AFM may make my life a little bit easier as well as the thing is massive!

I may see about getting a map sensor off ebay or something and having a play.

MegatronUK
28-12-2005, 15:23
I'm really impressed you're going through with this mate... let the nay-sayers burn in hell! :lol:

It will be interesting to see what the relatively high comp. 3FSE delivers with a supercharger bolted up. I think it will be surprisingly quick! Throttle response should be superb.

djdna2000
28-12-2005, 16:47
It isn't possible to run a generation 2 engine on a map sensor without a bit of work, there are a couple of people on GT4OC who have tried it so that they can run a gen 3 power FC ECU. Might be worth asking on there as to the details.

Goldy
28-12-2005, 18:16
I'm really impressed you're going through with this mate... let the nay-sayers burn in hell! :lol:

It will be interesting to see what the relatively high comp. 3FSE delivers with a supercharger bolted up. I think it will be surprisingly quick! Throttle response should be superb.

Cheers Megatron.... its getting more serious all the time the more I get into this the further I want to take the project to big BHP but I dont think my budget will stretch that far!... the original plan was just to bolt on a supercharger and put in some pipes, but as the project progressed (slowly) there seems to be a lot more to think about. I've been severly held up by having to wait for the guy who is doing the welding and pipework living at the other end of the country finding the time to get anything serious done it a pain. The dates for getting the supercharger itself fitted seem to be moving back all the time. I really cant wait to get the whole thing together now [-o<

It isn't possible to run a generation 2 engine on a map sensor without a bit of work, there are a couple of people on GT4OC who have tried it so that they can run a gen 3 power FC ECU. Might be worth asking on there as to the details.

I shall look into it but its beginning to sound like a pain in the arse the more I think about it.