PDA

View Full Version : new mk2 shaft info

Paul Woods
22-12-2005, 09:30
just spotted this on mr2oc kindly posted by "mr2by4"

I have verified that the MKII NA axles do indeed match the MKI NA axles in size and splines. They are definately different than the turbo splines. MKII na and turbos definately have diffrenet size splines, though the hubs can be swapped.

So a mk2na shaft will fit straight into a mk1 hub,this opens up possibilites for using the mk2na gearbox for engine swaps,ok its not as durable as the turbo unit but still good info all the same.

Rowdan
22-12-2005, 13:08
Does the opposite apply, i mean can you fit a mk2 na hub on a mk1. Feel free to call me a f**kwit if i have exposed my ignorance.

Paul Woods
22-12-2005, 16:43
ah no,he says just the mk2na and turbo hubs interchange,the hubs dont interchange between mk1 and mk2,the stub axles might,i think dans gonna find that one out soon,but this info means that mk2na shafts fit a mk1 hub,just a bit of mr2 trivia really.

Driftin_AW
27-12-2005, 00:37
*does a happy dance*
this makes me happy \\:D/

Johnny P.
27-12-2005, 20:59
I am in the middle of the very swap you are talking about. last night I slid in the Mk2 na axles and S54 trans into my car and It all looks good. I have to move the whole works over about a 1/4 inch from where Im at now then I should be good to go for final mount fabrication. I will keep you all posted.

Paul Woods
28-12-2005, 11:14
what engine are you using johnny? mk2na?

Johnny P.
28-12-2005, 21:22
1mzfe with a TRD Blower, cant wait to see how long a junkyard trans will hold up to the six. I should have the whole thing mounted by the end of this weekend, I ran into a little hood clearance issue with the blower I may have to run the engine a little lower in the chassis than I expected ( watch out for pot holes!!).

Paul Woods
29-12-2005, 10:20
ah yes thats right,i forgot! the NA trans might surprise you and last longer than you think y'know! although it could very well implode on its first outing as well so i'll shut up now.

Cant wait to see this thing done,my mates got a mk2 1mz with TRD SC and its fast as f.... so you running about 250kgs lighter should make it absolutely fly.What you doing about rear tyres/traction?

Johnny P.
31-12-2005, 20:16
Ive got 205 15's on the ride now with no lsd yet ( have to see how well this trans hold up first). Should be able to fit larger tires after the struts get chopped for the coil over conversion but that will require larger wheels and I kind of like the hoops Im running now so that will wait. The one nice thing about the S series trans is that they are almost free and in everything over here, I just hope not to need all those cheap spare parts due to breakage.

Johnny P.
28-01-2006, 19:19
Update on my trans, the MkII na axles and trans all mounted up great in my aw11, the starter looks to be the same as the V6 and turns the solara flywheel as it should. I did have to use the mkII shift cables and shifter but with the AW11 base plate (all bolt in).

One note if you use this trans on the 1mzfe you will have to lenghten the down pipe on the front manifold or your cables will run into the exhaust flange. I also had to shorten the rear manifold and remove the O2 sensor for frame clearance.
I am going to retain the factory sheilds and use header blankets to keep the heat off the rubber bits.

Paul Woods
29-01-2006, 09:01
sounds like good progress! any pics?