PDA

View Full Version : My new motor

Gary Symons
12-04-2009, 17:22
Just picked it up this afternoon, first impressions are pretty good. Only downside is the lack of power as mentioned by others, but that will get addressed at some point lol

Not many plans for it in the short term except drive it, i will be getting the pre-cats removed pretty soon though, after reading about the problems they can cause.

http://www.mr2mk1turbo.co.uk/photos/mr2roadster/pic1.jpg

http://www.mr2mk1turbo.co.uk/photos/mr2roadster/pic2.jpg

http://www.mr2mk1turbo.co.uk/photos/mr2roadster/pic3.jpg

http://www.mr2mk1turbo.co.uk/photos/mr2roadster/pic4.jpg

biteme
12-04-2009, 18:13
Seems very tidy mate :)

Fancy turbo'ing the stock lump for now?

Love the interior though mate :thumbsup:

Marksman
12-04-2009, 18:23
Rather nice :thumbsup:

Owen.

Gary Symons
12-04-2009, 18:53
Seems very tidy mate :)

Fancy turbo'ing the stock lump for now?

Love the interior though mate :thumbsup:

Already got one project that i never have time to work on.

It will see the :woc:one day though lol

loadswine
12-04-2009, 18:55
Nice one matey, a very clean one that. :thumbsup:
Good to have another Roadster around.

Torero
12-04-2009, 20:16
Looks great and I love the colour.

Interior is impressive as well :boogie:

adamh
12-04-2009, 23:53
thats a tidy little production car :thumbsup:

Bev
13-04-2009, 02:31
Very nice. Have to say, I wouldn't mind a hard top MR-S. Soft top is a tad girlie in my mind though.

Fix the lump! ;)

Bevan

toffer
13-04-2009, 08:09
tidy bit of kit mate :thumbsup: was it hard to find in this condition ?

erol
13-04-2009, 08:33
Very tidy mate, love the interior.

rattymr2
13-04-2009, 11:11
Always liked them in blue.

the seats are very uncomfortable on a run, either that or i cant get it adjusted right. carefully take the side vents off and you have access to the drain plugs for the soft top. these can get blocked and you get water in the cubby holes.

also be careful when opening and closing the cover in the frunk. the clips break easily.

aren't the standard brakes superb.

I changed the headlight bulbs in my wifes for some blue bulbs. they are great now.

enjoy it, great time to have bought one and you will also find it a bit more rigid with the roof on. i was surprised when you see that the hard top is only held on by 4 clips.

loadswine
13-04-2009, 11:17
The seats have always been really comfortable in mine, even on a longish run from Strasbourg to Venice in one go last year. Try adjustments till you are happy with them.
The hardtop can add to stiffness, but that can also be achieved with some decent chassis bracing. There are lots of choices for that.
The stock roadster brakes are very good indeed, that's one thing I've always liked about it. It is a fun car and though it doesn't have vast horsepower out of the box, it always makes owners smile every time they drive one. That's what its all about. :thumbsup:

biteme
13-04-2009, 11:19
Would the ST205's bolt up to these to give immense stopping power like in the Mk1?

Gary Symons
13-04-2009, 11:22
tidy bit of kit mate :thumbsup: was it hard to find in this condition ?

TBH its the only car I looked at, i am sure there are plenty about. I have been looking for a few weeks on autotrader, pistonheads and ebay (where i saw this one)

I was planning on starting the search proper this week but the car was only 30miles away so it had to be done.

The only thing I would say is that many of the sellers are in denial as to their cars real value.

Definately pays to bide your time until the right one turns up.

MRV6
13-04-2009, 11:22
Very nice mate, me likes.

Gary Symons
13-04-2009, 11:31
Always liked them in blue.

the seats are very uncomfortable on a run, either that or i cant get it adjusted right. carefully take the side vents off and you have access to the drain plugs for the soft top. these can get blocked and you get water in the cubby holes.

also be careful when opening and closing the cover in the frunk. the clips break easily.

aren't the standard brakes superb.

I changed the headlight bulbs in my wifes for some blue bulbs. they are great now.

enjoy it, great time to have bought one and you will also find it a bit more rigid with the roof on. i was surprised when you see that the hard top is only held on by 4 clips.

Good info ta,

I actually quite like the seats, but have only done a 30 minute run so time will tell i guess.

Gary Symons
13-04-2009, 11:34
Would the ST205's bolt up to these to give immense stopping power like in the Mk1?

Dont know if it would work, but its something that may get tried in the future :hmm:

GregLeBon
13-04-2009, 13:21
Snap!:shades:

Exactly the same as mine: yours has the leather interior, granted....but I do have one in my attic waiting to go in as soon as the car is back in Worthing...!

I take it you'll obviously be fitting a 3VZ / 1MZ / 3SGTE into it at some stage....!?:boogie:

......and take my word for it....the difficult decision about which bodykit to fit to it awaits you......!!!

Cracking cars, these.......you won't regret buying a Mk3...!:shades:

OlberJ
13-04-2009, 14:59
Are you putting the monster tubby in this chief or is that destined for the Mk1?

Gary Symons
13-04-2009, 16:15
Are you putting the monster tubby in this chief or is that destined for the Mk1?

Hoping to get the mk1 back on the road shortly to run for this year without much in the way of futher mods. The new engine, once built, will go in the mk3 but probably not until next year, i still need to keep an eye on my finances as the contractor design market isnt too good at the moment. Thankfully I am still in work at the moment but i have friends that have been out since christmas.

Been out in the car again today and the brakes are indeed great, also its nice to be driving a car with go-cart handling again :shades:

Gary Symons
13-04-2009, 16:31
Can any of the mk3 owners point me to an online roadster handbook?

Do they all come fitted with an immobiliser/alarm? I have found what looks like an alarm up front in the spare wheel bay.
Also what is the keyhole for down by the fuel cap release?

loadswine
13-04-2009, 17:02
All UK Roadsters came with alarm/immobiliser. The alarm unit is in the spare wheel well.
Non UK ones often require an immobiliser to be fitted, if absent, for insurance purposes.
I think there may be a form of online handbook over on spyderchat.com, the US roadster site. Most reference stuff is available on mr2roc.org here in the UK or over there on SC.
The lock by the fuel/ boot release is to lock the boot release mechanism, mainly for when the top is down. i've never used it on either of my roadsters.

Gary Symons
13-04-2009, 17:11
The lock by the fuel/ boot release is to lock the boot release mechanism, mainly for when the top is down. i've never used it on either of my roadsters.

So its nothing like the one on the bugatti veyron then lol

Paul Woods
13-04-2009, 17:27
That's a very tidy one gaz, reminds me of becky's old car... they handle superbly but just no urgency from the stock engine, mind you i found it to be a good long distance car which was surprising.

Now get the angle grinder out! :)

Gary Symons
13-04-2009, 17:52
Now get the angle grinder out! :)

All in good time :)

Murf
13-04-2009, 18:16
Nice car! My mate gave me a shot of one and it was great....untill i saw the luggage "space" !!

snowtigger
14-04-2009, 00:30
you buy a mr2 and want too put luggage in it hahahaha:nuts::roll::doh:

GregHoon
14-04-2009, 00:38
What you on about snow? MR2's have loads of luggage space. There's the glove box and the...erm...the...errrrr lol

nikwills
14-04-2009, 09:17
I have gone scuba diving in my mk1, all my kit, I couldn't take a passenger though, putting the air cylinders in the boot and 22kg of lead weights in the frunk led me to lowering the car....

GregLeBon
14-04-2009, 10:20
I have gone scuba diving in my mk1

Jesus, Nik..!!

Not even the T-bar ones leak THAT badly...!!!!! :rofl:

loadswine
14-04-2009, 19:58
You'd be surprised what you can get in the frunk area and the cubbies. We did a euro trip for 2 weeks last year and managed to get everything in okay.

biteme
14-04-2009, 21:45
You'd be surprised what you can get in the frunk area and the cubbies. We did a euro trip for 2 weeks last year and managed to get everything in okay.

You stank when you got home though lol

loadswine
14-04-2009, 21:50
Yeah, but what's different about that? I always do. lol

Murf
14-04-2009, 21:50
The mk1 is one of the most practical car's ive had. Ok, thats a lie! I can get more gear in the Mk1 than i can in my mx5 though. The mk3 just has no space at all!