PDA

View Full Version : Bodging together a brake kit

mr2by4
21-03-2009, 02:51
So I am making myself my own brake kit for my 5sfe powered mki race car.
I have ST165 dual piston calipers up front clamping on late (larger) AW11 rotors, I took my old front calipers and old front rotors and moved them to the back, but the rotors have too much back spacing on them (they sit too deeply over the hub) and I am having some interference problems.
Has anyone run these brakes in this format? How did you solve this problem?
I am looking at running a very thin wheel spacer shim behind the rotor to space it out properly. I do not want to run too much spacer since it will recess the hub centering ring. I am also considering machining a bit (2-3 mm's) off of the back of the brake bracket (the carrier on the caliper) to move it in.
The two issues are that the rotor has 0-1mm or less of clearance from the rear control arm's ball joint(thus the shim is needed), also the rotor rubs the caliper on the inside (hopefully cleared by a bit of machining on the brake caliper).
Thank you big brake gurus!

adamh
22-03-2009, 19:43
can you take a picture? it would be alot easier to visualise a solution, moved to / brakes . to mahicne some off the carriers would be easier than to make some thin spacers believe me, but you have to get the machining spot on otherwise risk an un-even contact of the pad.

mr2by4
23-03-2009, 02:55
Thin spacers are available as wheel spacers to fix poor offset selection. I just worry about the elimination of the hub centering ring. I will get pictures when I get back to the shop to work on it again. It may be a while.
Bill strong on MR2oc has done this on one of his cars, I think the v8. He seems to feel it is overkill on a 5sfe race car. I may not disagree, but will have to see if I can get the balance worked out on the big brakes before I give up and go back to stock.

Bill Strong
25-07-2009, 06:02
I ran it on my Krylon MK1 way back in 2003. Worked awesome! I had the MK1b front brakes on all 4 corners using a manual Prop valve and Goodyear slick tyres. I did have to make a space to move the disk out further to line it up. I think it was something like 5mm.
I did have lug centric wheels after that.

I am building a 400hp MK1.5 track car right now. This will use lightweight parts and Borbet 15x7 wheels, so smaller brakes must fit. The fronts are the ST165 with the rears being MK1b fronts with modified brackets which I am still working on.

Paul Woods
25-07-2009, 06:49
Mk3 front rotors on the rear could well be the answer to your offset issue.

400bhp 1.5 bill, you nutter :) How you getting around the rear hub spline diameter (in that it's too small to support 300bhp+ reliably) , Mk2T rear hub conversion?

Bill Strong
25-07-2009, 15:17
no, we have guys using those hubs for years / decades with turbo 4ages.
I don't drag race, this is a lightweight stripped out caged 4age. It will probably be close to 350hp for everyday track use. The rear hubs are ST165 outers and SW20T inners with ATS cages. They are very seasoned as well. No virgin parts are used in the axles.

Bill Strong
25-07-2009, 20:21
just ordered a set of new spyder fronts for $43 for both.

Bill Strong
01-08-2009, 00:12
nope. did not work. same offset issues. not as bad though. but enough where you will still need a spacer behind the brake.

Paul Woods
01-08-2009, 07:27
That's odd bill, people have been fitting them here without much issue? Can you get away with a little spacer?