PDA

View Full Version : MK2 Master cylinder with stock MK1 calipers

Nick_r
13-03-2009, 17:55
Hi, has anyone tried upgrading to the MK2 Master cylinder (non ABS) but retained the original mk1 calipers?

I have almost new calipers with Mintex racing pads that I dont want the cost of upgrading yet but my master cylinder is shot and the MK2 one is cheaper and would be required anyway when I eventually do upgrade.

My car is only used on the track so increased performance without any loss of feel is what I am hoping for.

I would also be grateful for advice on where to get one as Toyota want a fortune and the factors I normally use are strugling to get me either the MK1 or MK2.

Thanks, Nick

Paul Woods
13-03-2009, 18:22
yes i did this on my old 1.5,if you use a rev2 onwards cylinder they are 15/16ths as opposed to a 7/8ths bore on the mk1....i felt it necessary to move more fluid to the bigger calipers i was using at the slight expense of a little more pedal travel.

In short it worked really well on my set up

nikwills
13-03-2009, 18:28
Hi mate,
it is possible to buy a repair kit from toyota for the master cylinder it costs about £80 generally speaking the internals are ok, it's just that when the fluid goes off and gets dirty it can leak past the seals, I have previously got away with just stripping the unit down and give everything a good clean with clean brake fluid, just make sure you reassemble the internal seals the right way round as they work like a one way valve.
If you haven't already a better upgrade is to replace the rubber hoses with braided brakelines, the mk1 master cylinder is quite capable, Woodsport upgraded my front brakes to st185's on my v6 conversion and the only difference I've noticed is slightly more travel on the pedal as you start to use the brakes(due to the twin piston calipers), maybe a celica master cylinder 2nd hand from TCB (tcbparts.co.uk) would be a better bet, but in any case make sure that whatever you use will fit on the servo unit or you will need to replace that as well.......search the older threads as well as there is some really good stuff in there......

robd
08-07-2009, 20:08
Hi, I have a question on this, do you need the MK2 brake servo as well as the brake master cylinder or just the brake master cylinder?

Gary Symons
08-07-2009, 20:13
Hi, I have a question on this, do you need the MK2 brake servo as well as the brake master cylinder or just the brake master cylinder?

I used the mk1 servo with mk2 cylinder.

Garbe
08-07-2009, 21:36
I researched upgrading the mk2 master cylinder and remember there was a 1 inch bore one from a surf or hi lux which would work. Giving less travel.

robd
08-07-2009, 23:00
Thanks very much. :thumbsup:

Paul Woods
09-07-2009, 07:10
Bear in mind mk1's have two different MC mounting patterns, either 2 bolt or 4 bolt fitting.... but it is just the Mk1a that has the two bolt fitting (mk2 has 4 bolt), so if you want to fit a mk2 MC to a mk1a you need to fit a mk1b servo first.

snowtigger
09-07-2009, 07:53
Cheers Paul did not no that will now have to find a mk1b servo as I have garys mk2 mastercylinder, hey ho just another of the mk1a quirks that did not no about.

robwsurf
09-07-2009, 08:26
will a mk2 mastercylinder and servo bolt straight in to a mk1a

snowtigger
09-07-2009, 08:55
That's a good question I reckon the mk2 servo is a different shape to a mk1b maybe bigger could be wrong though.

Paul Woods
09-07-2009, 18:02
Yes, but not without mods to the firewall i think.... best combo is a mk1b servo and rev2- MC anyway.

robwsurf
09-07-2009, 20:17
bugger sounds like i need a mk1b servo now then to fit my mastercylinder

snowtigger
09-07-2009, 22:27
snap bugger these mk1a but i like the interior over the more common mk1b thats why i have 2 of them hmmm was realy looking for a late mk1b and ended up with 2 early mk1a.