PDA

View Full Version : S54 shifter selector shaft pin removal

bambbrose
01-03-2009, 05:08
I'm pulling apart my S54 for an inspection and overall cleaning prior to using it for my swap.

I'm having a hell of a time removing the shift selector shaft pin (task #6 in the S54 section of the BGB). It says to remove the locknut up until it is flush with the pin, and then drive it out with a brass rod and hammer. I've put a huge amount of force into some of my blows and this thing isn't even budging. I have also had it soaking on PB blaster for a good 12 hours and it still won't move.

My next step is to add heat. If I add heat it should be on the housing and not the pin itself correct?

Anyone ever have trouble with this pin?

Thanks for your input.

OlberJ
01-03-2009, 08:51
Can you get a pic of the offending item and where it's located chief?

Paul Woods
01-03-2009, 09:10
Its ok olie i know the one he means,yes it is a bitch to remove,what you need to do is support the rear of the selector shaft with a block of wood so that your hammer blows are achieving maximum impact,otherwise the whole shaft moves and that isn't especially good for the shaft or gearbox.

Im pretty sure supporting the shaft will get it,failing that just add heat to the end of the fork,not the pin....it wont harm anything so heat it cherry red.

bambbrose
02-03-2009, 09:05
thank you for the suggestions. I'm going to have to try the heat tomorrow.

I figured it just needed more elbow grease but I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something simple.