PDA

View Full Version : Noise from engine/Gearbox?

GregHoon
29-01-2009, 16:02
When the mk1.5 is sat idling i can hear a sound that sounds like something catching. Not noticeable when the car is in motion and sometime the noise seems to go away.
The car is perfectly driveable and i haven't noticed any difference at all when changing gear etc. The boost is set to 15psi as of today but the noise begane on monday. I have noticed that when stationary and there is no scraping/catching sound and i then depress the clutch the noise can be heard. I have been told it may be a worn clutch bearing. If so is it going to be a costly job involving removing the gearbox or is there some way i can adjust it myself. Perhaps the gearbox oil needs replacing?(he says hands clasped in prayer). Also i wa asked wether the clutch is a pneumatic one?

Any help is greatly appreciated, cheer, Greg

robwsurf
29-01-2009, 17:51
i d say its clutch bearing the clutch is hydraulic on them could check it bled ok but i d say its the cluch release bearing, no way of adjusting it is a gearbox off job and to be honest easier to drop the engine and box at the same time,

you doing it yourself or garage?

GregHoon
29-01-2009, 23:23
Cheers rob.

I'd have to get it done at a garage. I don't have the facilities or knowhow to do it myself. Perhaps a fellow brutaler could help me out here. The car is getting too expensive now lol. Seriously though, any offers?
Can i get away with driving the car for some time without getting the work done?

Thanks, Greg.

OlberJ
30-01-2009, 00:01
It'll ratlle and squeak cos the bearing is going but as long as it doesn't sieze you'll be alright for a bit.

Need to get it changed though.

GregHoon
30-01-2009, 00:27
Cheers for that Olber :) I'll have to get on to it then.

Greg

snowtigger
30-01-2009, 01:15
yes gear box release bearings can be noisy troublesome little buggers,I had a cortina years ago the rubber clutch gaiter used to come of or disintegrate then u got dirt oil and crap going in and knackering it up.

i used to squirt a bit of wd into the bearing through a very long little pipe to shut it up for a few miles , yes i know it's not good for clutches it makes em slip yarda yarda yarda was young and skint at the time , now just old and skint with kids.

seriously the sooner the better if you are putting a lot of torque and bhp through it i.e driving with a lead right foot the quicker it will go ,then an even bigger repair bill could be yours , i would see this as a golden opportunity to up rate the clutch and bearing .

would love to help but am trying to get rid of this f****ing australian flu bug that the whole family has had but me over crimbo and now it's my turn to have it argh.

Bev
30-01-2009, 01:39
Do it yourself! Doesn't take too much space at all. Could probably be done in 12 hours if you know what you're doing. When we did the rear main seal in my car, we actaully bench pressed the tranny in and out of the car after getting pissed off trying to balance it on a floor jack. All you'd really need is the usual spanners, 1/2 and 3/8 socket sets, and I think that'd about do it....

GregHoon
30-01-2009, 01:51
Snowtigger if you feel up to it at any point i'd appreciate the help as i think i might have no choice but to attempt it myself. I'll see what my local mechanic make of it first to be 100% sure and if it's that, will leave the car laid up untill i can afford the clutch etc. Sounds like a good idea to upgrade the clutch if the whole thing is going to come off anyway.
Cheers Bev, thanks for the advice.

Greg

Bev
30-01-2009, 04:59
Do your rear main while you are at it. That thing's a bitch ;)

snowtigger
30-01-2009, 19:39
I'm great at dismantleing ha ha won't take me 12 hours ,it's just the putting back bit that i have problems with now where did i put that bolt/screw/washer/thingy was around here a minute ago.

GregHoon
31-01-2009, 10:36
Tigger i'm just like you. That's why i decided surgeon wasn't the job for me ;). "Where'd i put that spleen?"

Anyway i've had a word with a mechanic mate and he listened to it. Seems it isn't the clutch bearing. Just another notch on the miscellaneous rattle, jiggle and knock list. So i'm fairly relieved.

Cheers for everyone's comments though, Greg

GregHoon
23-02-2009, 13:02
No. Mechanic was wrong. Clutch is fucked now. Was getting harder and harder to get the car into gear with the engine running and now it won't go into gear at all. It will change into gear no problem with the engine off.

Who can help me out here? Need the car on the road and i have phoned a place on reccomendation but they won't touch the car as it has a swapped engine. Obviously can't drive it. Can anyone help me change the clutch or the bearing or whatever? Or do they know mechanics or places in manchester or around that they know can do this?

Greg

GregHoon
23-02-2009, 13:39
I'm taking it to mr clutch in manchester tommorow. If they say it needs a new clutch i might be better sourcing this myself. Which one is recomended for mine running 250bhp or thereabouts. A compromise between money and it's performance. As i have none of the former lol.

Cheers, Greg.

Murf
23-02-2009, 19:30
Stock clutch is fine with those power levels, ive got (i think) a blueprint clutch in mine and it handles the power no probs :)

GregHoon
23-02-2009, 20:27
Thanks murf. Great. Saves messing around trying to find one too.

Can't wait till it's on the road again :)

Greg