PDA

View Full Version : firewall cutting

welly_59
11-12-2005, 20:39
would it be possible to cut a hole in the firewall ala turbo swap or have you got to cut away the top rail as well, like jb has?

i'd like to keep the top rail there if possible to ensure i can keep the boot waterproof

Paul Woods
12-12-2005, 07:47
welly is this you definately going v6 mate? im afraid the top part of the rear firewall where the inlet manifold sits has to go,but you are putting it back in only further back,the neater the job you make of this the better it looks really.JB's way is textbook on how it should be done,i chopped the whole thing out and now replacing most of it as i didnt need to be so brutal.

You could still remove the whole wall and just mount the whole thing 2" further back but id follow JB's lead on this one with as little as possible cut out.

welly_59
12-12-2005, 11:33
nothings definite yet paul, but maybe tempted when we end up with 2 3vzfe's sitting on the floor!

just looking at all possibiilitys really and trying to work out what i could accomplish to a good standard

welly_59
12-12-2005, 12:12
how are you all going about making the boot waterproof with the firewall moved?

Paul Woods
12-12-2005, 18:23
just with clever ducting welly,there is still a boot seal but if you do what JB has done then there should be no boot leaks,ive got a one piece engine/boot lid so i will have no leaks either,suck and see approach really mate.

welly_59
12-12-2005, 18:25
IF i go down route v6 then i'll prob keep it like jb's

JB
14-12-2005, 16:39
Mine seems to be waterproof as long as I remember to replace the removable panel#-o

Welly WHEN you go down "Route V6" shout if you need more pics/dim's:wink: :righton:

welly_59
14-12-2005, 17:04
seeing as you ask jb, any chance of a couple of pics of this removable panel of urs?

Shugsta
14-12-2005, 19:50
Welly, JB's build thread has some good pics http://twobrutal.co.uk/TBforum/showthread.php?t=220&page=7

Pages 7, 8 & 9

Paul Woods
14-12-2005, 19:54
ha ha lovin the sig shugsta.

Shugsta
14-12-2005, 20:40
Paul, I can't claim those words as mine unfortunately, It's an Oscar Wilde quote, a fellow countryman of yours I believe.

I thought of the Two Brutal nutbar collective when I recently read it. I reckon it sums up how the imagination and innovation that all of the guys on here put into building their 1.5?s has resulted in an amazing car that?s far from being consistent with anything being driven by the ?nay sayers? who plague some other forums :D

JB
15-12-2005, 10:30
As Shugsta says more pics on build thread but these two give a good idea.
When you start:smile: any further info available on request:nerd:
I'm hoping it will be CONSISTENTLY waterproof I cant IMAGINE why it shouldn't be:ha:

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2005/10/38.jpg

superchargedsam
15-12-2005, 10:33
JB thats so good looks like toyota did it as original ! Damn I would be tempted to go that far with the turbo swap just to give improved access !

Jiff Lemon
31-12-2005, 14:02
Just a thought, but if the inlet manifold was remade to sit more in the middle of the V, would the firewall still need chopping?

Paul Woods
31-12-2005, 14:45
jiff the manifold does actually bolt on right in the middle of the V believe it or not,it just extends back quite a bit.

Johnny P.
31-12-2005, 21:08
Paul, Is the 3vz wider than the 1mz? I figured the alloy engine was wider due to the outside cam location but I was able to mount mine with no firewall choppin.
I did have to do a little hammering around the original wiring hole and were the supercharger pully sits and had to remove the latch and bracket but my grinder has so far been reserved for the motor mounts.
I will say you and JB will have me beat in the easy to service depatment though! :righton:

Paul Woods
01-01-2006, 15:36
johnny dimensionally the 1mz isnt as wide from what ive seen,the vick brothers installed a supercharged 1mz into a mk1 many years ago with no firewall cutting,although things were VERY tight indeed,in fact i believe that car suffered an engine bay fire possibly due to something up against a hot manifold.... heres a pic of the vicks install,as i say probably too tight!

http://mr2.teq.org/assorted/others/mk1/Joe.Vick-89.mk1.v6-1MZZE.jpg