PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket performance calipers

eight-six
16-07-2008, 20:51
I am trying to search for aftermarket brake calipers - along the lines of Wilwood etc.

Just wondering if anyone knew of any cheap sources or makes?

My searches are pulling up limited results. :(

Cheers

James

BSM
16-07-2008, 21:17
There is no such thing as cheap when it comes to aftermarket mate. I would look for KeriWMS on here and see what he has to offer in the way of caliper/discs combinations. His stuff is top notch as Nik (El Presidente) will tell you.

hmmmmm
16-07-2008, 21:51
and if you find out, pls post it here so other plp will know:thumbsup:

ps: came across the D2 & KSport calipers? Those can be found for a good price, dont know about the quality though, getting mixed opinions online..

EDIT: here you go:

6 piston sw20:http://cgi.ebay.com/D2-6-Piston-Brake-kit-Rear-330mm-TOYOTA-MR2-SW20_W0QQitemZ160260874952QQihZ006QQcategoryZ23013 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

8 piston sw20:http://cgi.ebay.com/D2-8-Piston-Brake-kit-Front-330mm-TOY-MR2-SW20-1991-95_W0QQitemZ160260874965QQihZ006QQcategoryZ23013QQ ssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

And just for the hell of it the coilover set ive been wanting to order... as soon as the finances allow it ((maybe good idee to do a d2 GB?))
http://cgi.ebay.com/D2-Adjustable-Suspension-TOYOTA-MR2-SW20_W0QQitemZ360070118555QQihZ023QQcategoryZ43807 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Lee
16-07-2008, 22:28
It does seem a bit of an untapped market for the Mk2. Nearly everyone struggles with sticky calipers at one point or another. I know I've stripped/cleaned the fronts 3 times now. :hand:

I've been hovering over the checkout button on £400's worth of refurbed calipers all round as I have no intention of going for aftermarket kits. Just seems they are not upto the job, especially for our crud spattered roads. Last 2 minutes.

If we could have an adaptor bracket manufactured that would mount a commonly available set of calipers (not necessarily toyota) that do not have the sticking issue that plague us Mk2 owners then somone would be onto a winner. :thumbsup:

biteme
16-07-2008, 22:32
What about JDM Supra calipers? Ready supply of them around...

frog_eyed_mk1
16-07-2008, 22:32
the 8 p0ts fit behind my standerd 14s u think :hidesbehi

biteme
16-07-2008, 22:33
There's 2 hopes of that. One's dead.

frog_eyed_mk1
16-07-2008, 22:37
he he lol

Lee
16-07-2008, 23:22
What about JDM Supra calipers? Ready supply of them around...

I know they had overheating issues but would probably be fine with a light nimble Mk2 :hidesbehi

I think they are a sliding caliper design, do they have the sticking issues we get with the Mk2's?

TheGasMan
16-07-2008, 23:27
Ive also heard Keris WMC 4 Pot Calipers are pretty damn good and lightweight too, will be investing in some of these in the future.. dont cost the earth either.. shame theres no rear calipers to match :(

biteme
17-07-2008, 08:47
I know they had overheating issues but would probably be fine with a light nimble Mk2 :hidesbehi

I think they are a sliding caliper design, do they have the sticking issues we get with the Mk2's?

Not that I've heard of? I know they're lug mount, so there's more fabrication.

Woods mentioned that radial mounting calipers are easier to fabricate up, so I'm going for a Supra Twin Turbo UK Spec discs with 911 turbo calipers up front and Supra Twin Turbo UK Spec discs on the rear with a spigot ring to move the stock calipers out. Also, Paul is going to remove the bias valve upfront, so it'll be 50:50 in the pressure, but with the bigger clamping force going to the front because of the 6 pots.

splintermcinnes
17-07-2008, 08:57
and if you find out, pls post it here so other plp will know:thumbsup:

ps: came across the D2 & KSport calipers? Those can be found for a good price, dont know about the quality though, getting mixed opinions online..

EDIT: here you go:

6 piston sw20:http://cgi.ebay.com/D2-6-Piston-Brake-kit-Rear-330mm-TOYOTA-MR2-SW20_W0QQitemZ160260874952QQihZ006QQcategoryZ23013 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

8 piston sw20:http://cgi.ebay.com/D2-8-Piston-Brake-kit-Front-330mm-TOY-MR2-SW20-1991-95_W0QQitemZ160260874965QQihZ006QQcategoryZ23013QQ ssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

And just for the hell of it the coilover set ive been wanting to order... as soon as the finances allow it ((maybe good idee to do a d2 GB?))
http://cgi.ebay.com/D2-Adjustable-Suspension-TOYOTA-MR2-SW20_W0QQitemZ360070118555QQihZ023QQcategoryZ43807 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

i have been eyeing these up for a while now, dangerously close to just clicking the buy now button, i will do at some point! but what gets me is the rears, i want a full set of brakes all round but it says hydraulic handbrake needed! how is this done? what else do i need to buy? and will the center console still look stock, or will it require some brutality??

biteme
17-07-2008, 09:15
i have been eyeing these up for a while now, dangerously close to just clicking the buy now button, i will do at some point! but what gets me is the rears, i want a full set of brakes all round but it says hydraulic handbrake needed! how is this done? what else do i need to buy? and will the center console still look stock, or will it require some brutality??

you have to be careful with the MOT issues over here on the handbrakes matey.

splintermcinnes
17-07-2008, 09:20
so what brakes can be uesed that still utilise the POS cable thing we have now. i could live with 'only' 4 pots for the rears! at least 6 up front!

biteme
17-07-2008, 09:32
so what brakes can be uesed that still utilise the POS cable thing we have now. i could live with 'only' 4 pots for the rears! at least 6 up front!
The number of pistons is not the main concern. You'll get more braking effect from bigger discs.

If you put stock discs on then added 4 pots over them, your braking performance would not be as good as larger discs with the stock calipers. It's all about leverage on to the disc.

The UK Spec Supra has 4 pots up front and 2 pots on the rear, and they are amongst the best brakes I've felt, certainly better than the M3's brakes.

Realistically, unless you're going for 180mph runs constantly, then a good 4 pot up front with a good pad compound on a solid, vented disc with braided hoses and quality brake fluid will see you fine.

Heck, I was running 340bhp with stock Rev 3 calipers, Carbotech pads and stock discs and I never once had a problem.

splintermcinnes
17-07-2008, 10:02
im pretty sure mine are still the rev 2 units! always wanted some fancy big brakes though! Mine just look so weedy through the 18's! need some under hoopage bling! bastard big brakes, just need to find the right ones!

biteme
17-07-2008, 10:07
im pretty sure mine are still the rev 2 units! always wanted some fancy big brakes though! Mine just look so weedy through the 18's! need some under hoopage bling! bastard big brakes, just need to find the right ones!

Well, you also need to take care on the offsets of your discs too. I'd NOT recommend the Wilwoods though.

hmmmmm
17-07-2008, 15:35
Just got an email back from the seller, if we order 3 or more its 595pounds a pop

splintermcinnes
17-07-2008, 17:03
GROUP BUY!!!

if these are cool to run on rev 2 hubs and 17", 35 offset alloys then count me for a set of fronts.

if i only run a set of uprated fronts will this compleatly arse up the cars handeling under braking???!!!!:confused:

biteme
17-07-2008, 17:28
GROUP BUY!!!

if these are cool to run on rev 2 hubs and 17", 35 offset alloys then count me for a set of fronts.

if i only run a set of uprated fronts will this compleatly arse up the cars handeling under braking???!!!!:confused:

It won't help ...

splintermcinnes
17-07-2008, 17:57
Bugga! right, might have to think, damn! i want all round, if i get these fronts, what can be done to the rears to up grade them and keep the standard E brake? Rev 3 upgrade and better pads?

biteme
17-07-2008, 18:04
Rev 2-3-4-5 I think are all the same mate. That's why Rev 2+ wheels are bigger than Rev 1.

Personally, I say get new discs all round, make sure your calipers are all good, and not sticking. Braided hoses, Carbotech Panther Plus pads and some nice 5.1 brake fluid.

Also, bed them in properly, i.e. few light heat cycles before you go stamping on them.

splintermcinnes
17-07-2008, 18:28
Brake disks and calipers were done by woodsy when the V6 got put in, no probs there! new cable for the brake too. just need some better pads then really!:thumbsup:

.............Till the turbo comes along for the ride!!:blabla:

got a slight problem of needing to by a house though first!:rant:

Also i thought the rev three's were the first to have vented disks, i think mine are solid??!!

eight-six
18-07-2008, 19:25
Thanks for the reponses people, having looked at the prices of the aftermarket stuff like Wilwood etc I think I wil stick with more conventional brakes.

Got some RX7 alloy 4 pots for the front for use with a 276mm disc and I am thinking about a 260mm rover 600 disc on the back with a RX7 rear caliper or Nissan S13 (want to use the rear calipers off a car that has alot of choice pad wise)

Going to be a substantial upgrade compared to my weeny single pot brakes!

Do a search on that D2 stuff, heard quite a few bad reviews. Suspension is supposed to be pap, dampers blowing, bad spring rates etc. Suspect the brakes might be the same.

A hydro hanbrake will be an MOT fail unless you have a friendly tester, new hydro handbrakes mean you can use them for parking the car, but you would need to hack into you interior to fit one.

I know is sounds silly as I am looking at fitting much bigger brakes but before you try and change all the brakes, make sure the calipers are working properly, well greased, properly bled and then fit decent pads (DS2500 etc) think you might be really surprised.

Cheers

James

Shorty
18-07-2008, 21:48
Ive also heard Keris WMC 4 Pot Calipers are pretty damn good and lightweight too, will be investing in some of these in the future.. dont cost the earth either.. shame theres no rear calipers to match :(

Agree. I would buy a rear big brake kit from Keri any day of the week. I think he had one planned. Never heard any more about it though.

KERI get busy!!;)