PDA

View Full Version : S54 N/A Gearbox question.

just1n_mc
08-07-2008, 03:52
I know you guys couldn't get the S54 gearbox's with LSD as a factory option but we could over here in Australia for $5000 (late model SW20 only). What I want to know is I have just bought a N/A gearbox and it has a bar through the centre of the diff like the Turbo LSD gearbox's do. Do the S54's normally have this bar or can you normally see straight through the diff when the driveshafts are out like on the Turbo open wheel gearbox's?

I'm hoping there the same as the Turbo boxes with a bar through the centre of the diff meaning it's a factory LSD.

Justin.

Paul Woods
08-07-2008, 07:27
hi justin,from memory they all have the bar,but we do get NA's with LSD here too but like you its only the very late spec cars.

However you can quite easily convert any S54 to LSD using a mk3 UK spec diff,have a look at the thread in the drivetrain section.

OlberJ
08-07-2008, 08:51
To check if you've got an LSD though, put ur driveshafts in and turno one of them and tell us what the other one does. :thumbsup:

just1n_mc
09-07-2008, 03:15
I just checked it against a definate Non LSD S54 box. You guys are right there is a bar through the diff but the bar in mine is way thicker than the Non LSD unit and mine is off a beams 3SGE. You can hardly see past it it covers that much of the hole through the diff unlike the standard diff.

OlberJ
09-07-2008, 08:48
Do the driveshaft trick and then u'll know for sure chief.

just1n_mc
10-07-2008, 04:08
What is the driveshaft trick? I'm pretty sure if you have the car off the ground and spin a wheel the other turns the same way even on the open diffs. At least it did with my first turbo box and that was non LSD.

OlberJ
14-07-2008, 14:28
Non lsd will turn the opposite shaft in the opposite direction.