PDA

View Full Version : Fitting second Radiator

Garbe
06-07-2008, 22:01
I fitted a second rad fan and it didn't kick in with the existing one. Checked the fuse box and I think I need a relay for it.

Anyone have an idea which one I need, as there's a few different positions, main fan, fan 1, 2 ,3.

Couldn't find my volt meter to check for continuity. Cheers

OlberJ
06-07-2008, 22:13
Can u not wire it into the 1st fan's circuit?

Garbe
06-07-2008, 22:24
There's already a circuit there, I would imagine its there for a reason. Two fans on one circuit will probably over load it, melted wires etc.

OlberJ
06-07-2008, 23:42
Och, just up the fuse, you'll be fine.

We have to do similar on mk1's when we 1.5 them, we end up with engine bay fan, intercooler fan etc on the one circuit, all we do is up the fusage 5 amps.

If u want them both to come on at the same time and not staged for bringing the 2nd in at a higher temp, i'd stick them on the same circuit.

Jiff Lemon
07-07-2008, 07:27
Take electrical advice from Olberj? rotflmao :D rotflmao

upping the fuse would work if your sure the wiring can take it. Otherwise I'd add it in with a separate relay, triggered from the first fan.

But..... does it actually NEED a second fan?

Garbe
07-07-2008, 09:12
Take electrical advice from Olberj? rotflmao :D rotflmao

rotflmao rotflmao

But..... does it actually NEED a second fan?

Has the space for one and it only cost £11 delivered.

I think it should operate of the same switch, so not staggered, just need to find out which relay I need.

DougieG
07-07-2008, 09:57
I've stuck one in the space as well when I had the radiator out, must admit not checked to see it comes on yet! rotflmao

Another thing to add to the to do list.

Jiff Lemon
07-07-2008, 09:57
relays are nothing more than a switch. Standard 4 pin relay would do the job. Or you could go really funky and use a 5 pin relay to do a "manual overide" style switch....

When I get 2 mins (and given current workload that'll be 2009) I'll do a post for the electrical section :thumbsup:

In the meantime, if it gets really desperate, give me a call.

Garbe
07-07-2008, 13:10
No rush Jiff, although 2009 is a bit of a push lol

Going away tomorrow for 10 days, I'll check for contiuity into the fust box and find out where the darn thing is supposed to go. Will give you a call when i'm back.:thumbsup:

OlberJ
07-07-2008, 21:17
Mr2's have awesome cooling efficiency as is, another fan is just extra weight i reckon.

welsha
24-07-2008, 13:53
the 1st fan on the mk2 is for air con cars I believe. it runs at slow speed pretty much all the time then runs full speed when the temps rise. 2nd fan kicks in very close to first fan only a few degree's in it.