PDA

View Full Version : Need help with alternator

oddball
28-06-2008, 01:26
Right guys,
I have a small "issue" with wiring up my alternator on a 3vz.
Due to reasons i wont go into, i have a '95 engine but a pre '93 wiring loom, and guess what? Toyota changed the plugs!
I discovered that the plug on my 3s loom was the one in needed but i have a small problem (well, several problems, but thats another story!lol )

The 3vz plug has the 3 pins in a triangular shape with white, yellow and red with a blue stripe wires entering it.
The 3s plug has the 3 pins in a row with yellow, black with a yellow stripe and white with a red stripe entering it.

Now, i think i can just about work out the yellow wire, but what about the other 2? Common sense would say join the 2 white wires and join the red with blue to the black with yellow, but can anyone give me a definitive answer to this and what would happen if i get it wrong?

Hope someone out there can help as i am getting sick of getting stuck on stupid little problems like this (and im running out of tools to throw at the wall!)
Pic of the plug on the 3vz loom (one on the left) and the socket on the alternator.
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2008/06/258.jpg

Thanks

Paul Woods
28-06-2008, 08:24
3vz wires ..................3S Plug

white.........................white/red stripe
yellow........................yellow
red/blue......................black/yellow

job sorted :thumbsup:

oddball
28-06-2008, 16:08
Cheers Paul,
I thought that would be it, but the way my build is going at the moment, if i just went with my best guess, it would be wrong. All sorted now!......Next issue wont be far away im sure, fun this diy lark, eh?

Paul Woods
28-06-2008, 18:02
bloody great fun mate,even better when theres the pressure of getting it 100% right for a paying customer... still its a laugh!