PDA

View Full Version : Coolant brands? - Urgentish.

Marksman
12-06-2008, 07:06
Hi chaps.

Has anyone got any recommendations on brands of coolant or is one as good as another? I need to get some bought today so thought I'd ask here first :thumbsup:

Owen.

OlberJ
12-06-2008, 07:21
Any decen ethelyne Glycol (think that's how it's spelt) based one is fine.

Jus make sure the old shit is flushed out, nae mixing old n new.

Get down the motor factors and see what they got.

Are we about to see the impossible today? Baldricio?

BSM
12-06-2008, 10:54
There are two types ethlyene glycol (sometimes blue) and the less toxic and corrosive propylene glycol (allsorts of colours depending on manufacturer).
I believe the toyota stuff is the latter and better for our engines.
As for brands, they are all much of a muchness so would buy from somewhere reputable and make sure it's value for money.

millentubby
12-06-2008, 11:09
I thought Mr T recommended Ethylene Glycol? I go to the local motorfactors for mine as it's cheaper than Halfords...even with staff discount!

BSM
12-06-2008, 11:36
I stand corrected sir, you are right the earlier is Toyata spec, just checked.

Saw my name on a loaf of bread in Tesco earlier, then i realised it said thick cut.....

Goldy
12-06-2008, 16:56
I used the pink stuff (ethlyene glycol) bought direct from vauxhall. Its about 1/5th the price of the same pink stuff you get from mr T except you have to dilute it yourself.

Isn't there one called wetter water or something thats supposed to have better heat absorbtion or something?

frisp
12-06-2008, 17:05
Isn't there one called wetter water or something thats supposed to have better heat absorbtion or something?

Water wetter, an additive to aid heat dispertion. I think it's designed to reduce hot spots in the cylinder head.

TheGasMan
12-06-2008, 17:08
Saw my name on a loaf of bread in Tesco earlier, then i realised it said thick cut.....

:blabla:

OlberJ
12-06-2008, 17:44
Took me a while that one, "Hovis..? Warburtons...? Ohhhh right"

:doh:

Marksman
12-06-2008, 22:53
Cheers lads much appreciated. :thumbsup:

Red ethylene glycol concentrate bought today. Baldrico? Alas no. I don't even have time to get my winter hack SC back on the road let alone finish building the 1.5 <:( This is for Mr. Falconsgriff's supercharger that SWAT have been giving a good dose of TLC too. Talking fluids means it's damn nearly finished too so nearly time for it to make noises :jump:

Owen.