PDA

View Full Version : MK3 sizes

PaulM
22-05-2008, 20:55
MOD EDIT - Moved to the MK3 forum.

Hi all,
Could someone spare the time to measure the engine bay and tell me how wide and long it is
ie
width from tower to tower
maximum width
maximum length (from firewall to back end)
and if possible length from firewall to the start of the sus towers

Thanks in advance
Paul :thumbsup:
I've been given an audi v8 very short, but very wide !

OlberJ
22-05-2008, 22:33
Aha, well for the Mk1 and Mk2 we got the BGB and it has tech drawings for the engine bay and chassis, maybe search out the BGB and get them from there?

It's similar to a Mk1 though as i know the V6 and Mk2 N/A box "just" fits.

How wide is your engine and box? What box u be using?

BSM
23-05-2008, 01:32
Probably the TT/Golf 6 speed?

Oooh DSG......

Paul Woods
23-05-2008, 07:08
you wont have enough room to fit that transversely but on the mk3 theres tons of room front to back if you get rid of the cubby boxes behind the seats and also relocate the fuel tank .... theres more than enough room for a v8 inline,and you can bolt an audi trans onto that audi v8,thats been done before.

What an awesome project this would be though!

PaulM
23-05-2008, 08:54
Your a mind reader Paul
Audi V8 4.2 in line bolted onto the 012 box trans.
My limiting factor is the audis 90 degree so it,s 760mm wide !!!.
But the advantage is I only need 660mm fron the firewall to the axle line, because is sooo short !
Then its an emerald ignition system witha bit of racelogic and a dna 360 bodykit.
Will probably start in the autumn, got to clear the garage of mini's !

I gave the wife the option of V6 transverse or V8 inline.
"If your gonna do it, you might as well do it properly" V8 it is then !

Rosssco
23-05-2008, 12:16
I gave the wife the option of V6 transverse or V8 inline.
"If your gonna do it, you might as well do it properly" V8 it is then !

We can see why you married her...:thumbsup: Should be awesome. Is this the S4 (340hp) engine..?

PaulM
23-05-2008, 13:55
Unfortunately not is the standard 4.2, but with an emerald unit, should be able to remap it to something similar. The emerald also has the benefit of storing three maps that you can switch on the fly.
So me thinks 1 for the MOT, 1 for optimum driving and 1 for track day!

PaulM
23-05-2008, 13:56
PS If anyone knows of a crashed but unrecorded MK3 or one with no engine etc etc
please let me know

Paul

loadswine
23-05-2008, 17:03
I'll keep my eyes open for one.

OlberJ
23-05-2008, 18:26
Consider the 1UZ, seriously it's a beast and can handle turbos no problem on standard internals.

V8 Twin Turbo, do it really fucking properly. :mrgreen:

Paul Woods
23-05-2008, 19:17
if you ever start this project i will be glued to it as its one ive fancied doing for ages but unless some nutter like nigel steps forward i wont get the chance.... here to help when the going gets rough though fella

PaulM
23-05-2008, 20:53
Cheers Paul that might just happen
As long as I can get the 690mm from firewall to driveshaft c/l, I should be OK, although the A8 is a wide one.
What will probably be most challenging will be the integration of the electronics and silly things like the Abs etc.
I'm aiming to start in the autumn, or if a unrecorded accident comes along sooner
Olber, dont want to go mental 280 -350hp will be more than enough to make things happen quickly, if not, challenge the chassis.

loadswine
24-05-2008, 00:16
I'll be glued to this , if it gets going as well. Being a nutter, i haven't ruled this out at some point Paul. I'm still enjoying my V6 though , at the moment.
If I get the cover off the 2 tomorrow, I'll see what measurements I can do matey.

biteme
24-05-2008, 00:17
You have V6 explorations to do mate.

*cough*Rotrex*cough*

loadswine
24-05-2008, 00:19
Okay, once we've done that then!
Trouble is Rotrex means losing aircon, means wife upset, means I will lose my nadgers!!

biteme
24-05-2008, 00:21
You have a convertible!

I guess a new set of cams might work :P

loadswine
24-05-2008, 00:25
Mmm, you are tempting me with that one.
Need to get a baseline dyno done before anything else, oh , apart from putting in my Koyo racing rad tomorrow.
I'll post up pics of that. ( assuming I get time to install it)

biteme
24-05-2008, 00:34
Tighten everything up dude! :)

Koyorads are quality items.

OlberJ
24-05-2008, 00:37
Tighten everything up dude! :)

:hand: lol

Will the ECU be able to learn how the new cams are shifting the power etc?

loadswine
24-05-2008, 00:40
I'm still trying to figure out whether I will need a new rad cap rated at a higher pressure.
Well not the cap on the rad, on the top of the engine.

Paul Woods
24-05-2008, 07:36
paul i can already help regarding the ABS,it wont be affected at all.... its system is all standalone from the engine ecu,so that will work fine.

You will need to keep the current mk3 ecu wired in and powered up to the body side of the harness so your clocks still work,that was a major obstacle with nigella's swap as we didnt have a stock ecu to work with.Then you can send the audi engine signals,oil pressure,coolant temp etc to the mk3 ecu and it will work.

Dont worry about width,you have loads of that,as long as theres enough from front pulley to driveshaft exit point you are laughing.

PaulM
24-05-2008, 08:18
Cheers paul Much appreciatted and very good thinking o wise one

For more V6 power, I'd look at a VVti and new map, if not an emerald system which can control VVti, and maybe new injectors

PaulM
27-05-2008, 11:20
Anyone know the distance between the towers and the firewall? :)

OlberJ
27-05-2008, 20:17
Hmmm, Mk3 manuals are no where to be found, unless you pay £150 from Toyota.

Maybe Nige could get the measuring tape out? :poke2:

loadswine
27-05-2008, 21:16
Sorry for not doing this before chaps, but if its dry tomorrow, measuring tape will come out and I'll get dimensions for Paul.
I have been suitably prodded Olie! lol
Not sure if Mk3 manuals have dimensions, but I will measure a few from the car itself.
I was having a good look at the firewall lower area on sunday when I was helping to do a gearbox swap and this lower section looks seriously structural and will need substituting in some way, when its removed in the V8 version.

PaulM
28-05-2008, 09:39
Cheers Nige,
If you could get soem measurements that would superb, the 'hope' is that the bottom part of the firewall doesnt need moving and it smore of taking the slope out of it, but thos dimesions will tell.

The engine is 457mm long and 720mm wide and I need 690mm from fire-wall to driveshaft outputs.

Paul Woods
28-05-2008, 18:27
i looked at nigels front crossmember and i think it will need moving forward but once the fuel tanks gone i cant see that being a major issue,and you can add bracing back into the chassis once the engines hung.

It just depends how daunted you are about cutting out a crossmember and moving it back.

PaulM
28-05-2008, 19:00
Not at all monsieur, in fact I have my eye on a plasma cutter as we speak !
i was thinking that the new bracing could also be used a a mount point for the gearbox too.
Which I looking at a tdi 6 speed box, the driveshafts ar actually beefier than the A8's and obviously the box should be ok with the torque too.

Paul Woods
28-05-2008, 19:01
ah the tdi 6 speed,a fine vintage :)

PaulM
28-05-2008, 19:21
I must re-read my posts before posting.......I must re-read my posts before posting.......I must re-read my posts before posting.......I must re-read my posts before posting.......I must re-read my posts before posting.......I must re-read my posts before posting.......I must re-read my posts before posting.......I must re-read my posts before posting.......I must re-read my posts before posting.......I must re-read my posts before posting.......

loadswine
28-05-2008, 20:19
Okay, took a couple of dimensions between showers this afternoon.
Firewall (top) to centreline of suspension towers = 575mm
Firewall to driveshaft centreline = approx 460mm
strut tower to strut tower ( inside edge) = 804mm
Hope that helps.
I run a TDi as my other car and the ratios might well work out nicely with the V8 in there.

OlberJ
28-05-2008, 21:03
Okay, took a couple of dimensions between showers this afternoon.

More than one shower a day?!?

Think you could teach Woodsy how to have just the one a day even?

loadswine
28-05-2008, 21:08
lol Olie, I meant the rain dude! I stink!!!

PaulM
28-05-2008, 22:37
Whoah ! "Firewall to driveshaft centreline = approx 460mm"

I need 690mm, that would mean something like 300mm + of intrusion into the cabin. I knew it was tight but, I thought they'd be more apce than that.
That puts a cat amongst the pigeons.
Any thoughts anyone?
thanks for info though nigel
Actually one query Nigel, are the drive shafts forward of the suspension towers?
Cheers Paul

loadswine
28-05-2008, 23:12
Yes Paul, the driveshafts are forward of the suspension towers.
The depth of the storage bins is approx 300mm, so that may fix things for you, but don't forget that the space behind the seats should slope slightly, or it would be a totally upright driving experience.
How much longer is the engine/ gearbox you have than the 1UZ and suitable box?
On the plus side, the existing firewall slopes as well and the measurements were taken at the top, so a bit more space is available at driveshaft level if that makes sense.
look at pics of my empty engine bay in my build thread and it'll let you know what I mean.
If you need anything else Mk3 wise, give us a shout.

PaulM
29-05-2008, 08:01
Cheers Nigel,
The engine and box are shorther than podges build by about 200mm, the audi engine is 508 mm long ( thats the ABZ, which is cheap £600, compared to the AZF, which is not £1500) and the bolts straight up to most audi boxes, which have their output shafts at about 205mm from the mounting flange, so total length required is about 710mm.

Which is obviously 250mm more than the we've got atthe mo, it would be good to know how much the firewall slopes though (hint,please sir,hint) ;)

Ooh 700mm is bout the length of your armpit to your fingertips,.......well it is mine ! :thumbsup:

PaulM
02-06-2008, 10:13
Had a closer look at a Mk3 over the weekend, and I'm pretty sure the audi will fit, they'll be some angle on the driveshafts, but that can be taken out by firewall invasion.

As soon as I find a doner its project GO!

Paul Woods
02-06-2008, 19:12
paul have you given any consideration to the audi twin turbo v6? the one out of the s4 motor? ive heard they can be tuned to 500bhp very easily and obviously not as long as a v8

biteme
02-06-2008, 19:16
450bhp I'd say. It's a remap really, larger intercooler and up the boost. Nowt major :)

Bigger turbos after that :)

loadswine
02-06-2008, 19:47
I've looked at the firewall, but it only slopes sightly and I'm guessing only an inch or two difference top to bottom.
Have a look at my empty bay when my swap was being done:

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2007/09/156.jpg

OlberJ
02-06-2008, 19:50
Hrrrrm, the Mk3 is just a Mk1 with no boot really.

Can see how a V8 would go in there no problem.

biteme
02-06-2008, 19:51
Hrrrrm, the Mk3 is just a Mk1 with no boot really.

Can see how a V8 would go in there no problem.

Better styling, better chassis, better engine (as standard), nicer wheels, better interior, better made ...

OlberJ
02-06-2008, 19:53
Better styling? lol Away with yourself.

biteme
02-06-2008, 19:54
Play with yourself.

I do regularly :gay:

Marksman
02-06-2008, 20:48
Better styling, better chassis, better engine (as standard), nicer wheels, better interior, better made ...

I find myself agreeing with most of one of Johnny's comments. This is deeply disturbing, I must go and lie down.

Owen.

PaulM
02-06-2008, 21:06
Audi twin turbo V6 very nice...very expensive, i did see one for £2,400.
Audi V8 £600 .
Not sure of the length of the V6, but I would bet there not a lot between the two !