PDA

View Full Version : Headlights and Wipers

OlberJ
27-02-2008, 12:45
Another part of me problems, the headlights won't pop up and the window wipers don't work.

Are they fused sumwhere i take it?

The dash lights come on for the headlights and full beam, i get sidelights but the lights don't pop up.

The window wipers don't work on any level.

All my other lights, interior and exterior, brake lights etc all work hunky dory (except reverse but that's not connected yet).

What's the standard fixing process here before i send my engine loom off to Woodsy?

jimi
27-02-2008, 13:11
2 fuses for the headlight in the front boot marked RTR-7.5Amp and RTR MTR-30Amp
Wiper fuse is in the drivers kick panel marked WIPER-20Amp

OlberJ
27-02-2008, 13:15
Top banana.

The fuses in the frunk for the lights are all hunky dory. Would that mean the problem lies further back? Does the ECU effect the lights at all?

Garbe
27-02-2008, 13:47
Ollie the ECU doesn't control them - you may need to check the relays, as the car has been used for some time they may have become stuck in the open position, try giving them a tap. or another set if you can borrow some.

MartG
27-02-2008, 13:51
Check the headlight retract relay - black box next to the frunk fusebox IIRC

OlberJ
27-02-2008, 14:03
Av got the T-bar there i can swap over relays and give a try. Cheers.

As long as they're seperate from the ECU that'll be kewl.

OlberJ
27-02-2008, 20:19
Righto, i can hear the realy click when i either put the switch to headlights or pull the main beams arm.

It clicks in the engine bay but doesn't pop up.

Windscreen wipers are actually fine, it was just the duff battery before.

MartG
27-02-2008, 20:28
The click could just be the relay for the lights themselves - the pop-up bit is driven separately

I had trouble with mine last year - turned out to be a duff connection between the light switch and the earth in the drivers footwell. Sorted by running a new earth wire rather than dismantling the dash to find the faulty connector.

OlberJ
27-02-2008, 20:45
The lights don't come on though, just the sidelights.

I'll try swapping them though at the weekend.

jimi
27-02-2008, 20:59
Try pulling the retract relay ( black one next to the wiper motor ) and cleaning the contacts, they are prone to corrosion, if you have a spare try swopping it or try your relay in another car

OlberJ
27-02-2008, 21:01
Cheers for the advice folks. :thumbsup:

jimi
27-02-2008, 21:07
You've got 2 weeks to sort the electrics on this car, otherwise I'll be forced to come over once I'm home and sort them for you ;)

OlberJ
27-02-2008, 21:10
Hehe, cheers. Am sure Woodsy will be able to sort the engine side of things but if there's owt else i'll be sure to take you up on that offer.

Garbe
27-02-2008, 22:15
ditto what jimmi said, pull em out and clean the contacts. I had a problem a while back, ended up pulling the fuse and cleaning the contact points on it and problem solved - that was a non lighting headlight