PDA

View Full Version : My mk1 V8 (4.2 340bhp Audi AHC with 6 speed)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Paul Woods
24-01-2008, 19:17
EDIT: fast forward to page 13 for the V8 stuff, or continue reading 12 pages of V6 swap :)

Well time to let the worst kept TB secret out of the bag,im building myself a new mr2.... lily will never get finished in time for brutalball and i sorely miss having an mr2 again,more to the point i really miss having a fast mk1 again,so i needed to build the mk1 of my dreams and quickly!

I had my heart set on a silver mk1 for a long time now and after frantic searching i picked up a half decent sunroof model for £350.

Every saturday for the last 3 months ive been getting her up to speed (sorry no real pics yet) ,ive been welding her up and changing the rank blue interior (sorry blue interior fans) for a black leather one ive had tucked away.

To power this beasty ive bought a 97 1mz and furnished it with new gaskets and tubular stainless manifolds from the US.....

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2008/01/209.jpg

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2008/01/210.jpg

I also have a TRD charger planned for it,fidanza flywheel and Mk2 NA box with a trick celica supported shaft set up.

All being well she will be ready for brutalball 08....

loadswine
24-01-2008, 19:22
That looks a useful piece of kit, love those manifolds!
Should be scary quick!

EarL
24-01-2008, 19:47
You don't want to charge that old thing Paul. It would look far better on mine mate... :mrgreen:

phd68
24-01-2008, 19:54
Noticed in your pics around the head gasket area there is a little 'gloop' thats squeezed out (not picking fault!!) - lead me to ask the question what if anything do you recommend using in addition to the head gasket? i.e

do you assemble and leave it dry?

or

do you apply some kind of sealant to the head gasket?

if so, do you put the sealant on both sides of the gasket?

Thanks (just want to get it right first time!!!)

Paul

millentubby
24-01-2008, 20:37
Noticed in your pics around the head gasket area there is a little 'gloop' thats squeezed outl

Methinks that's just a wee 'oversized' bit of the Gasket itself rather than added goopery - seems to be normal.

Whore of Babylon
24-01-2008, 22:26
Can you post the link where you got thoes manifolds? i dont want to use stock ones in my conversion. Also will you be using the stock ECU with OBD2 of will you be going aftermarket? im still not sure what ill be using once ive get my 1999 1MZ

biteme
24-01-2008, 22:44
I think it's a stormer of a project!

His motor looks mean as feck ... shame there's an ejit driving it. I need another project now to overshadow the Woodsmeister lol lol lol

lodgeman
24-01-2008, 23:28
very nice mate:thumbsup: as for the h/g i used blue hylomar both sides of the gasket but only around the bore .

OlberJ
24-01-2008, 23:30
But it's silver. lol

Should definitely give the required smiles per mile this one. Welcome back to the fray. :thumbsup:

millentubby
24-01-2008, 23:54
Paul - what do you use to degrease and clean the block/g'boxes etc up ready for painting?

podge
25-01-2008, 00:00
go for it paul about bloody tie to fella:thumbsup:

Shugsta
25-01-2008, 00:30
go for it paul about bloody tie to fella:thumbsup:

^^^
Dito!... Nice one Paul :driving:

Paul Woods
25-01-2008, 06:59
cheers chaps....goopage squishing out the heads is hermatite,i lightly smear both sides of the gasket faces,it fills any dimples in the mating surfaces and glues them down good n proper... it comes from my days of working on K series rover crap when nailing the gasket down with hermatite was a must,probably perfectly fine without it,its just something i do.Its also a must on the mk1 4a-ge around number 4 cylinder!

Fannymoulds were bought here wob....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120206309398&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSA:UK:11

Quality is good,downpipe needs slightly redesigning though,its not good for power and theres no flexi between the two banks so i will be rectumfying that asap.I will be using a 96 1mz non theft ecu i got from the US,also the camp is split at the moment as to wether the early 1mz is OBD2 or not,the yanks say they are OBD1 and changed to OBD2 in 98 or so... lyndon reckons they are all OBD2,but i dont have an OBD2 connector on my loom...so i dont really know... but this US ecu will fire it up and within 6months to a year it will get a link fitted.

Superb engines tone,impressed with the little "tweaks" over the 3vz in certain areas

Lots of parafin used to clean the blocks colin and then a powerful jetwash to finish it off :thumbsup:

Gary Symons
25-01-2008, 07:16
Was about to ask if you were going standalone, but I see you have already answered that. I hope that you are going to make this a Woodsport showcase with lots of trick parts :thumbsup:.

Paul Woods
25-01-2008, 07:34
yeah thats the plan matey,deck her out with everything we do here,but the priority is building a fast reliable car for brutalball 08.Cant wait to get behind the wheel of a mk1 again! :driving:

snowtigger
25-01-2008, 07:57
good for u dude about time u got one u could boz round in this being this is the first mk1 toyota mr2 ive ever owened i can understand now why u and the rest of the lads like em so much ive vowed to get this bugger on the road this year no matter how much rot is in it i think it deserves a chance like a phoenix from the ashes it will be reborn.

MRV6
25-01-2008, 08:55
You kept that project well under your hat mate.

Had a look over Woodsport yesterday, this is going to be a nice little project. Those manifolds look a good find but the y pipe needs modding. The car it's going into looks mean as feck.

Johnny believe it or not I had a cuppa tea over there yesterday. Well Anth made it, Paul still can't find the kettle.

biteme
25-01-2008, 09:02
Now there's a shock!!

MRV6
25-01-2008, 09:13
I know, never mind the swap thread. We should start a "I've had a beverage" at Woodsport thread.

biteme
25-01-2008, 09:17
You and Anth would be the only people able to put mentions in there ... and he's not a member (well, he is :P) - so it'd be your own private thread!

MRV6
25-01-2008, 09:23
Thats a good point mate and I can't see our exclusive membership growing.

Paul Woods
25-01-2008, 09:51
i hope you skyplus'd the kettle going on via the webcam,cos its the last fcuker either of you gets

biteme
25-01-2008, 10:01
i hope you skyplus'd the kettle going on via the webcam,cos its the last fcuker either of you gets

You imply that I had a first? ... :doh:I don't remember that...

MartG
25-01-2008, 10:09
Johnny - just remember to take this next time :thumbsup:

http://www.xs-stock.co.uk/shopimages/products/normal/thermos_12_food.jpg

MRV6
25-01-2008, 10:29
Might have to "Dragons Den" this one mate. Hows this sound, some kind of machine that boils water for hot beverages. Think it will catch on?

MRV6
25-01-2008, 10:34
You imply that I had a first? ... :doh:I don't remember that...

You must have alzheimer's mate. The amount of coffee we got through, must have been enough to drown an Amoeba.

Limeymk1
25-01-2008, 11:06
VERY nice Paul! Look forward to seeing this one!

Funny your supported shaft bracket mounting point is completely different to my MZ. :hmm: I think I have a freak. lol

Paul Woods
25-01-2008, 11:22
isnt yours a vvti lump though mate? possible block difference?

Limeymk1
25-01-2008, 11:55
Aye it is that. Would have thought the toyota parts bin would have been used for a simple thing like a driveshaft though. lol

Mk1 supercharger steve
25-01-2008, 18:00
Well time to let the worst kept TB secret out of the bag,im building myself a new mr2.... lily will never get finished in time for brutalball and i sorely miss having an mr2 again,more to the point i really miss having a fast mk1 again,so i needed to build the mk1 of my dreams and quickly!

I had my heart set on a silver mk1 for a long time now and after frantic searching i picked up a half decent sunroof model for £350.

Every saturday for the last 3 months ive been getting her up to speed (sorry no real pics yet) ,ive been welding her up and changing the rank blue interior (sorry blue interior fans) for a black leather one ive had tucked away.

To power this beasty ive bought a 97 1mz and furnished it with new gaskets and tubular stainless manifolds from the US.....

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2008/01/209.jpg

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2008/01/210.jpg

I also have a TRD charger planned for it,fidanza flywheel and Mk2 NA box with a trick celica supported shaft set up.

All being well she will be ready for brutalball 08....
That looks great! can you tell me what brutalball is?
Now that i have been converted am i welcome to come along?

biteme
25-01-2008, 18:07
http://forums.twobrutal.com/showthread.php?t=9974

and yes if you give us an answer very quickly!!

Mistertwokw
25-01-2008, 19:28
About time you had one of your masterpieces for yourself mate...well deserved!

Ki

mart1975
25-01-2008, 23:47
this ones going to be sweet :thumbsup:

Whore of Babylon
26-01-2008, 00:53
Fannymoulds were bought here wob....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120206309398&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSA:UK:11

Quality is good,downpipe needs slightly redesigning though,its not good for power and theres no flexi between the two banks so i will be rectumfying that asap.I will be using a 96 1mz non theft ecu i got from the US,also the camp is split at the moment as to wether the early 1mz is OBD2 or not,the yanks say they are OBD1 and changed to OBD2 in 98 or so... lyndon reckons they are all OBD2,but i dont have an OBD2 connector on my loom...so i dont really know... but this US ecu will fire it up and within 6months to a year it will get a link fitted.

Yeh ive been talked into a Aftermarket ECU, i realy dont want to deal with OBD2 casue ive heard its a pain in the ass.

How will you change the down pipe? will you remove the right angle and make it more of a smooth flowing join?

I know, never mind the swap thread. We should start a "I've had a beverage" at Woodsport thread.

Ha Ha sounds like its more likley to get a V6 thrown in ya MR2 than to get a coffee.

Kevman
26-01-2008, 01:11
My god that's a monster! Please get video up when it's in!

Paul Woods
26-01-2008, 08:27
wob this is what i plan to do with the downpipe....

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2008/01/265.jpg

cut out the section between the red lines,turn the blue marked section 180* and Y it into the green area.... that way both downpipes are on the flexi,and its much better for flow..... only problem is it will be slightly unequal length downpipes but id rather have it that way than the way it is now.

loadswine
26-01-2008, 11:01
That's what you did on mine isn't it Paul? I reckon overall it works, still need to get it on a dyno sometime, but the old butt dyno says it all gets really going above 4k and all the way to the rev limiter like a Honda vtec.
Go for it mate, it looks better too! :thumbsup:

Charged
26-01-2008, 11:09
About time you treated yourself Paul! And a silver mk1 as well... good choice :thumbsup:

Looking forward to seeing some pictures.. are you treating her to some wide arches?

biteme
26-01-2008, 11:20
He'll be treating her to some baby gravy as well i think, he's a kinky bastard - apparently.

Mk1 supercharger steve
26-01-2008, 13:39
http://forums.twobrutal.com/showthread.php?t=9974

and yes if you give us an answer very quickly!!
Now that i know what it's about, i haven't got the money for this long trip but i'm sure you will all have a great time.
If it happens next year i will make sure i save up the money for it.

snowtigger
26-01-2008, 18:35
same here if i get me 2 sorted had a look at the pipes paul my thoughts are yes hmmm equal length running back to the flange and flexi hard one that is the front bank will always be longer than the back unless u double the pipe back on itself then u end u restictin flow ho hum u win some u lose some.

OlberJ
26-01-2008, 20:48
Put it in longditudinally then you're laughing :thumbsup:

Marksman
27-01-2008, 00:09
same here if i get me 2 sorted had a look at the pipes paul my thoughts are yes hmmm equal length running back to the flange and flexi hard one that is the front bank will always be longer than the back unless u double the pipe back on itself then u end u restictin flow ho hum u win some u lose some.

Can anyone translate that into English for me please :hidesbehi

O.S.

Whore of Babylon
27-01-2008, 02:50
wob this is what i plan to do with the downpipe....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v624/paddy1970/woodsport2/SSHD-TSO99V6-2.jpg

cut out the section between the red lines,turn the blue marked section 180* and Y it into the green area.... that way both downpipes are on the flexi,and its much better for flow..... only problem is it will be slightly unequal length downpipes but id rather have it that way than the way it is now.

Yeh thats a good idea, now a better idea is when i want one i can buy the manifold have it sent to you so you can do the same for me then send it to me :thumbsup: Post cant be that bad form UK to AUS..... can it?

Paul Woods
27-01-2008, 09:03
an absolute fortune wob,cheaper to have the whole thing made there no doubt mate

biteme
27-01-2008, 12:10
WOB, don't forget it's two lots of postage - and UK postage fees are akin to having your pants pulled down. It's very expensive. Will probably cost you more than the cost of the manifolds in total.

Whore of Babylon
27-01-2008, 12:30
WOB, don't forget it's two lots of postage - and UK postage fees are akin to having your pants pulled down. It's very expensive. Will probably cost you more than the cost of the manifolds in total.

an absolute fortune wob,cheaper to have the whole thing made there no doubt mate

RAGE!!!:rant:

biteme
27-01-2008, 12:44
It's a shitter ain't it

Goldy
27-01-2008, 13:05
Nice one woodsy, its about time you turned up in an MR2 at events!

Are you going to get "Powered By HobNobs" decals for brutal ball.... I reckon that'd be spot on!

biteme
27-01-2008, 13:09
Get the Intel Logo and have it photoshopped to say "Hobnobs Inside" :)

MRV6
27-01-2008, 17:30
Get the Intel Logo and have it photoshopped to say "nob Inside" :)

:icon_eek:

biteme
27-01-2008, 17:31
That's even better Phil!

I'm over on Saturday, bringing the Spider over - you around?

MRV6
27-01-2008, 17:35
What you coming over the coffee shop? Remember empty that bladder out first so you can get all that coffee in. Yeah should be able to make it mate.

biteme
27-01-2008, 17:38
Sweet ... I'll pick up a coffee at the services on the way... ahh shit, I can't - its a manual and no cup holders.

You can bring them lol

EarL
28-01-2008, 13:11
Get the Intel Logo and have it photoshopped to say "Hobnobs Inside" :)
Couldn't help myself... rotflmao

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2008/01/275.jpg

EarL

OlberJ
28-01-2008, 13:22
So why the TRD S/C Paul, ease of fitment or were you that impressed with Mike's setup?

It makes sense if you got one there i suppose. Is this Johnny's old one perchance?

Are the silly big stoppers going on this baby too?

biteme
28-01-2008, 13:23
lmfao!!!

I love it

Sponge Bob
28-01-2008, 14:26
Kick Ass!!!!! And supercharged to boot...

When I'm as rich as Johnny i'll certainly be getting Woodsplurt to conjure me something juicy like this up!!

biteme
28-01-2008, 14:34
Kick Ass!!!!! And supercharged to boot...

When I'm as rich as Johnny i'll certainly be getting Woodsplurt to conjure me something juicy like this up!!

I'm not Rich!!

Sponge Bob
28-01-2008, 14:53
I'm not Rich!!

Well technically, I didn't say you were... I said when I was as rich as you.

You could be poor - i'm just that bit poorer.... lol

Garbe
28-01-2008, 14:55
I'm not Rich!!

No your johnny :slap:

Paul Woods
28-01-2008, 18:32
im using the trd sc because its a bolt on 4psi with the 1mz,no modifying just plug and go.... mr sherrys blew me away,i loved the way that thing picked up and launched hard.

The charger is from the US :)

OlberJ
28-01-2008, 19:20
That makes sense, a nice reliable dod of power.

Mike's did fly, well still does i hope.

MRV6
28-01-2008, 19:23
Paul what power are you expecting from this with the trd, headwork etc. Just 1mz's are supposed to be rated around 300 bhp mark and I don't think yours will be far off that mate.

I'll have a latte by the way.

Paul Woods
28-01-2008, 19:26
if it sees 280bhp with the SC i will be a happy bunny,to be honest mate im after more reliability than outright power....big pulleys and water injection can come later on i think

MRV6
28-01-2008, 19:32
I'm still to find out what you can take a 1mz up to, including water injection, mapping etc. On standard internals.

Make it a reg coffe with 2 sugars.

GaryA
28-01-2008, 19:33
Will you be having some nice body mods with hooge wheels ? Engine looks :drool: :thumbsup:

Garbe
28-01-2008, 19:53
Paul we want Pics !!!!

snowtigger
28-01-2008, 19:59
i didnt get my moca latte with extra mocha when i went i got the nobodys here bloody scouser sat nav u go down er like u no nar mate calm down calm down yer going the wrong way lar.2 hours trying to bloody find this bloody garage for mrv6 gearbox was tucked away in the back of beyond up and down the bloody motorway .woods sport dead easy come of the motorway round the corner and your there i was too late my fault for listening to the sat nav the good mister woods had to go look at motors for she who must be obeyed like a good husband should cause some day he may have to fix it or modify it so makes sense never mind got to look at the silver mk1 tbar outside nice wide and phat wheels will look awsome when its done just hope one day to meet him longer than 5 mins before he disappears .

Marksman
29-01-2008, 00:22
i didnt get my moca latte with extra mocha when i went i got the nobodys here bloody scouser sat nav u go down er like u no nar mate calm down calm down yer going the wrong way lar.2 hours trying to bloody find this bloody garage for mrv6 gearbox was tucked away in the back of beyond up and down the bloody motorway .woods sport dead easy come of the motorway round the corner and your there i was too late my fault for listening to the sat nav the good mister woods had to go look at motors for she who must be obeyed like a good husband should cause some day he may have to fix it or modify it so makes sense never mind got to look at the silver mk1 tbar outside nice wide and phat wheels will look awsome when its done just hope one day to meet him longer than 5 mins before he disappears .

i didnt get my moca latte with extra mocha when i went.

i got the nobodys here, bloody scouser sat nav u go down er like u no nar mate calm down calm down yer going the wrong way lar.

2 hours trying to bloody find this bloody garage for mrv6 gearbox was tucked away in the back of beyond up and down the bloody motorway .

woods sport dead easy come of the motorway round the corner and your there

i was too late my fault for listening to the sat nav

the good mister woods had to go look at motors for she who must be obeyed
like a good husband should

cause some day he may have to fix it or modify it so makes sense

never mind got to look at the silver mk1 tbar outside

nice wide and phat wheels will look awsome when its done

just hope one day to meet him longer than 5 mins before he disappears .

This half arsed editing attempt was brought to you by Dwarf Motorsport...

Owen.

snowtigger
29-01-2008, 05:54
cheers Owen thank u for your literary criticism shall try and run it through the dwarf motor sport spell checker and paragraph reseter machine in future correspondence.
your humble servant mike.

Marksman
29-01-2008, 06:46
You're :welcome:

Owen.

Paul Woods
31-01-2008, 19:38
part of the problem with a 1mz fuel system is that its returnless... in other words fuel just gets fed to both rails and thats it! On a 1mz camry it has the regulator and return gubbins in the tank so it returns it instantly at source.Its not a system i like,and a bitch to regulate better if you wanted to up it a tad.You could always Y a new regulator into the supply line before the injectors but this would mean injectors 1 and 2 have a chance of getting less fuel pressure than 5 and 6 as the fuel drops across the rails under max load etc

So i wanted a return style set up like the 3vz has.Now dont let those yanky forums have you believing a 3vz rail (return style) will fit a 1mz,they well n truly dont! the injector spacing is wrong and you will burn up in a fireball of doom!

So the only way is to have the 1mz rails tapped out and machined on the opposite ends,so i sent my rails to Mr H who did an outstanding job on them,for all you 1mz'ers i highly recommend getting this done by him!

Here are my rails fresh back from adam and pimped.... ha ha pimp my rails!

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2008/01/361.jpg

Now ive used a 3vz return fitting at the newly opened rail ends.....

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2008/01/362.jpg

and chopped a 3vz feed union down on the top rail exit.....

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2008/01/363.jpg

So i can now mount a nice aftermarket FPR after the second rail and i now have a fully return style 1mz fuel system.

Sincere thanks to ads for doing a superb job :thumbsup:

MRV6
31-01-2008, 20:43
Sexy as mate, I'm going to have me some of that. Nice little mod.

Where does the kettle plug in at?

loadswine
31-01-2008, 21:10
That looks very neat! Do I detect a small amount of porting there as well?
That thing will take off Paul! lol

OlberJ
31-01-2008, 23:09
You mean the lower fannymould Nige?

What's the craic Mr Bristow?

loadswine
31-01-2008, 23:13
Hi Olie, I meant the intake ports on the head really, they look kinda smoothed out there. Fannymould does look very clean, but seems to have the look of factory casting on the inside.

biteme
31-01-2008, 23:14
Aye, it's gonna be a sweet motor that!

OlberJ
31-01-2008, 23:18
They certainly look bigger than the 3VZ ones, maybe it's just a 1MZ thing?

Sure he would have done the heads aswell.

Paul Woods
01-02-2008, 07:28
ive given the heads a little tickle with the dremel but nothing major

Paul Woods
01-02-2008, 19:09
well the engine is now fully assembled,supercharger nailed on and its ready for install...

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2008/02/16.jpg

a thing of beauty...

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2008/02/17.jpg

cant wait until this thing gets fitted!

MartG
01-02-2008, 19:20
a thing of beauty...

Truly - my thought precisely. Well done sir :thumbsup:

MRV6
01-02-2008, 19:25
Very sexifull Sir!! How do you get time to do this whilst running a busy coffee shop.

biteme
01-02-2008, 19:26
That's fantastic. Great find that S/C mate.

Paul Woods
01-02-2008, 19:37
its one of those self service coffee shops :)

snowtigger
01-02-2008, 19:47
isit called fuckcofee get it your self.

loadswine
01-02-2008, 20:18
Wow! Most triumphant! :cool:

Goldy
01-02-2008, 23:01
Thats a work of art woodsy.... its far to shiney to put into a mk1!!!!!!

MRV6
02-02-2008, 00:05
Thats a work of art woodsy.... its far to shiney to put into a mk1!!!!!!

Aye Goldy you have a point there.

Sponge Bob
02-02-2008, 00:20
Aye Goldy you have a point there.

Yeah - just not a very good one lol

Spot on work Paul - that looks so sweet!!!

Paul Woods
02-02-2008, 08:30
cheers chaps,the 4age comes out today all being well!

snowtigger
02-02-2008, 09:35
hope my engine gets this level of treatment should look stunning when done paul can not wait to see this machine blasting around wood sport u have made me very jealous.

Goldy
02-02-2008, 16:46
hope my engine gets this level of treatment should look stunning when done paul can not wait to see this machine blasting around wood sport u have made me very jealous.

Use a bloody comma!!!! :thumbsup:

MRV6
02-02-2008, 18:55
cheers chaps,the 4age comes out today all being well!

Paul did you get that engine out? You did nowt but talk when we were over today.:)

Paul Woods
02-02-2008, 19:03
did i balls mate,it was too cold to feel my fingers plus i didnt get a cup of coffee

biteme
02-02-2008, 19:06
We did ... cheers Phil...

Paul, service with a V sign :P

MRV6
02-02-2008, 19:12
It was that cold the bloody electricity froze.

MRV6
02-02-2008, 19:14
did i balls mate,it was too cold to feel my fingers plus i didnt get a cup of coffee

Thats bad crack mate, not getting a cuppa in your own coffee shop.

OlberJ
02-02-2008, 19:49
Feck.

Av jus realised.

This is gonna be running before mine.

Am gonna hav to sabotage it when we're down next week :whistle:

biteme
02-02-2008, 19:51
Feck.

Av jus realised.

You'll arrange to sabotage and then drop out lol

OlberJ
02-02-2008, 19:53
Oh that's harsh.

biteme
02-02-2008, 19:54
Oh that's harsh.

but fair? lol

OlberJ
02-02-2008, 19:55
No, we've rearranged stuff so am definitely gonna be down at Widdlesport this weekend.

biteme
02-02-2008, 19:57
No, we've rearranged stuff so am definitely gonna be down at Widdlesport this weekend.

Don't you mean next weekend? we're still on this weekend!

/owen mode off

All the best

/owen mode off dammit

O.S.

/ffs

OlberJ
02-02-2008, 20:09
No, am there just now, check the camera and i'll give you a wave :moon:

biteme
02-02-2008, 20:12
lol lol lol

if you were really there, then you'd not be bearing your arse mate. It's baltic!

OlberJ
02-02-2008, 20:15
Aye, my sister said it took her 4 hours to get up the road last nite.

Was snowing here too, hence why the engine is still in the mk1. Well that and the stinking hangover lol

Oh av jus realised summit else....

adamh
03-02-2008, 19:56
well the engine is now fully assembled,supercharger nailed on and its ready for install...

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2008/02/16.jpg

a thing of beauty...

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2008/02/17.jpg

cant wait until this thing gets fitted!

yum! good job paul, waiting for the start up movie with dribble on the chin

jasper
04-02-2008, 01:29
I've missed this whole thread...don't know how. Your post on IMOC got me a searching.

Looking good there my friend.

Johnny P.
04-02-2008, 05:06
Looks ready for the road, what are you using for the blower drive? That was a fun piece to fab on mine. Those fuel rails turned out nice, do you know if the 1994 to 1996 models run a return system in the UK? The US models did but they are not a easy part to find ( just like that blower ).
FYI for the guys with superchargers, URD racing has a closeout sale on the smaller high boost pulleys so if your planning on new pistons buy one now. Very nice quality, mines going on after breakin. Check this link out
http://www.urdusa.com/product_info.php?cPath=102_108&products_id=130000033

Paul Woods
04-02-2008, 07:07
blower drive? just the 4psi stock pulley for me johnny,and the belt running around the alt and crank.... sounds like you had to do something else? did you incorporate a separate tensioner or something?

We dont even get a 94-96 1mz in the UK believe it or not,they started in 97 and were all returnless fuel rails.... you chaps got it much better than we do! :)

Paul Woods
04-02-2008, 07:08
I've missed this whole thread...don't know how

<raps jasper on the head> hello mcfly! mcfly!!! lol

millentubby
04-02-2008, 09:39
Feck.

Av jus realised.

Nah don't sweat it bigyin - I like the sound of #9 ;)

jasper
04-02-2008, 09:47
<raps jasper on the head> hello mcfly! mcfly!!! lol
And that's coming from Sky + lol

weegaz22
04-02-2008, 15:11
you going to go for a bigger pulley later on paul?

biteme
04-02-2008, 15:12
You mean smaller? :P

weegaz22
04-02-2008, 15:26
You mean smaller? :P

good point johnny, brains not working today

EarL
04-02-2008, 15:27
you going to go for a bigger pulley later on paul?
A larger pulley would underdrive the blower. A smaller pulley overdrives it. :thumbsup:

EarL.

biteme
04-02-2008, 15:29
You have to be careful with the ringlands on the 1MZ with boost. Personally, I think there's more of a gain from a standalone and a map than there is from another 2psi on the blower - purely because over 6psi, the TRD becomes the (now acclaimed and officially titled) belt driven blow torch.

weegaz22
04-02-2008, 15:32
water injection would sort that out as well as improve effeciency of the compressor map

biteme
04-02-2008, 15:34
Hmm .. not convinced by that to be fair. The TRD being roots, doesn't have a compressor map per sé. But it'll help keep the intake temp down.

What if you run out of water? Saftety margin is gone. It's not so bad with a turbo, as you can turn the boost down, but with the S/C you're stuck.

weegaz22
04-02-2008, 15:51
Hmm .. not convinced by that to be fair. The TRD being roots, doesn't have a compressor map per sé. But it'll help keep the intake temp down.

What if you run out of water? Saftety margin is gone. It's not so bad with a turbo, as you can turn the boost down, but with the S/C you're stuck.

err...carry a bottle of water with you?? :p

it will change it if you inject it on the intake, compressor maps are based on density and pressure, If you change the inlet conditions (gas density) you in effect slide the compressor map left and right.

By injecting water ahead of the compressor two things happen. You cool the inlet air substantially, this in effect moves your true operating point to the left on the compressor map. (in most cases for max performance this is a good thing, although on some turbo's conditions it can cause compressor surge.)

You also change the pressure temperature profile inside the compressor itself. As the gas moves outward and is compressed, heat that would have gone into heat and increased pressure is absorbed by the WI mist and so the compressor has less work to do since it is no longer fighting this temperature driven pressure increase, it can achieve more mass flow at that pressure ratio.

EarL
04-02-2008, 15:52
Never trusted WI, which is why I never fitted it to the Beast. As Jonny says, you could be half way down the strip on a nice hot day at WOT and err... :driving:

...bang! :eek2:

OlberJ
04-02-2008, 15:55
That's what i was saying on another forum, a ported, ECU'd, mapped V6 will be making good power, i reckon the TRD's aint gonna be making that much on there.

Don't get me wrong, it'll up the actual torque across the rev range but they're not gonna be adding that much peak bhp.

For Paul's application, as he's said, this'll do nicely.

biteme
04-02-2008, 15:56
err...carry a bottle of water with you?? :p

it will change it if you inject it on the intake, compressor maps are based on density and pressure, If you change the inlet conditions (gas density) you in effect slide the compressor map left and right.

By injecting water ahead of the compressor two things happen. You cool the inlet air substantially, this in effect moves your true operating point to the left on the compressor map. (in most cases for max performance this is a good thing, although on some turbo's conditions it can cause compressor surge.)

You also change the pressure temperature profile inside the compressor itself. As the gas moves outward and is compressed, heat that would have gone into heat and increased pressure is absorbed by the WI mist and so the compressor has less work to do since it is no longer fighting this temperature driven pressure increase, it can achieve more mass flow at that pressure ratio.

Yes, i agree there - to point, but the temperature of the water will also then have a factor on how much heat it can disipate.

Where do you inject? Pre or post S/C? Unless it's mapped in, WI can actually reduce engine power - so I'd not use it on a S/C car. On a turbo car, you can. If the WI is empty, you go shift to a secondary (safe) boost map.

EarL - hit the nail on the head mate.

weegaz22
04-02-2008, 16:14
its not exactly hard to fit a float switch/level indicator in the tank, have it turn on an LED in the dash when its only got a litre left in it, you should just add it to your weekly checks along with oil/coolant etc

the water temp wont really matter too much johnny, water dissapates heat in an evaporative effect, for example, you drive along the road at 50 mph, you have a bowl of hot and cold water in front of you, dip your hand in the cold then stick it out the window and your hand will get just as cold as it would with the hot water

also if you get 2 ice cube trays and fill one with hot water and one with cold and stick it in the freezer the hot one will freeze before cold one will (both of these exaples are over simplified but you get the idea)

i was talking about pre sc, you also have the benefits of it keeping your internals clean and preventing carbon build up which can create hot spots and lead to det in extreme cases

MRV6
04-02-2008, 17:09
I have wi on mine, it comes in at 1psi. I have a 1 gallon tank and it doesn't use that much. It pre supercharger. Yes Johnny I know I don't do many miles in her but when we have been out on trips etc. Any how I can use my colostomy bag to fill it up.

OlberJ
04-02-2008, 17:20
Any how I can use my colostomy bag to fill it up.

Wee Injection lol

Murf
04-02-2008, 17:52
How the hell have i missed all this????

Awesome work!!

Paul Woods
04-02-2008, 18:57
cheers murf!

tonight we pulled the horrible 4a out...

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2008/02/49.jpg

and here is the beast in question.... ive already removed the arches in preparation for wider ones....

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2008/02/50.jpg

whoozy
04-02-2008, 19:08
Nice wheels!!!

Paul Woods
04-02-2008, 19:11
they will be when ive painted them!

whoozy
04-02-2008, 19:14
Keep them silver,they look good!

OlberJ
04-02-2008, 19:34
I though it was just the rears that were uber wide, what size are the fronts Paul?

Sponge Bob
04-02-2008, 19:54
Yeah - those wheels will be the nuts once they've been painted up Paul...

Johnny P.
04-02-2008, 21:01
Looking good Paul! A note on the ringlands, mine broke all the lands without any sign of knock or ping ( maybe the stand alone helped blow her up ). My friends in the industry all think its due to factory ring gaps being to tight. Rings get hot, rings ends touch and hyperutectic piston goes goodbye. With the new slugs I dont think the extra boost will hurt anything but water injection still sounds like a good idea to me.

Goldy
04-02-2008, 22:25
http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2008/02/50.jpg

She's wearing lilly's shoes.....

*sheds a tear*:violin:

P.S.... From my reading water injection before the blower could be the way forward especially on the roots, it'll help cool the rotars and seal em better!

biteme
04-02-2008, 22:29
Si, you should come in our support vehicle for Brutal Ball... all we need is a van.

snowtigger
05-02-2008, 00:55
ah speaking of vans got one for sale just picked up my new van for work so selling our old one, t reg 2.5 diesel short wheelbase semi high roof not great body work wise but engine mechanicals solid not long ago had full service and 3 new tyres 6 months tax i think it has mot till august.

Paul Woods
05-02-2008, 07:03
8.5J on the front olie,offset is the same as the rear,both need 3" arches extensions,same as adams car.

Goldy
05-02-2008, 18:43
will a mondeo do? lol

biteme
05-02-2008, 18:51
lol lol
I'm sure we can get a van somewhere

nik
05-02-2008, 19:10
you mean en route..?
bloody nice progress on this paul..

:hijack:
so whats the ballpark figure (bhp wise) on a 3sgte to start considering (seasonal) WI on a stock IC setup..?

Johnny P.
06-02-2008, 04:14
Paul, In response to your blower drive Q&A. I made a combo motor mount blower drive that wraps the ( Very Long ) belt around the crank and to the right side of the motor mount. Have you guys run one of these blowers with just the bottom of the belt touching the lower pulley? My version is a more servicable one piece adaptation of the TRD setup using Mazda MPV timing belt pulleys as idlers.

P.S. How did you like the bitchin bottom end on your 1mz?:pumped:

Paul Woods
06-02-2008, 07:20
yeah all of our TRD SC swaps just have the belt going in a triangle around SC>crank>alt ,its not ideal,id prefer more surface area of belt wrapped around crank and SC but it works ok as it is.

Bottom end is superb,theres a lot of things on the 1mz i really like

biteme
06-02-2008, 08:29
Bottom end is superb,theres a lot of things on the 1mz i really like

Have you made man love to it yet?

EarL
06-02-2008, 09:08
Have you made man love to it yet?
8O that's one image I want out of my head right now!

Paul Woods
06-02-2008, 19:02
pic coming shortly... :)

Garbe
06-02-2008, 19:10
Hurry up - i need my pic fix

edit of the car an no manlove please :puke:

OlberJ
06-02-2008, 20:47
Pic fix :

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2008/02/63.jpg

biteme
06-02-2008, 20:52
for absolute fuck sake ...

OlberJ
06-02-2008, 21:15
Yep, the exhaust is fucked.

MRV6
06-02-2008, 21:34
Is that Paul's new tail pipe?

biteme
06-02-2008, 22:49
Fiver says that Phil's had the tissues out

Sponge Bob
07-02-2008, 00:34
Now there's where one of those exhaust flamer kits would come in handy... just a quick spark to the bell end lol

Paul Woods
07-02-2008, 06:41
thats just sick.........i mean a rangerover for gods sake! :)

EarL
07-02-2008, 08:40
I've just spilt my cup of tea all over my desk after seeing that. 8O

MRV6
07-02-2008, 09:32
LOL how quickly these threads go to the dogs.

nik
07-02-2008, 11:37
lmao @ loadswines deleted post..:thumbsup:

loadswine
07-02-2008, 12:37
I thought it was bit OTT, but if you think it works Nik, feel free to put it back.!

Garbe
07-02-2008, 13:28
come on put it back

loadswine
07-02-2008, 14:35
My judgement as to whether it was okay or not was a bit impaired at the time, I just about remember, due to fermented grape juice!

MRV6
07-02-2008, 18:05
I've just spilt my cup of tea all over my desk after seeing that. 8O

Earl you do realise you have all this to come when your build thread starts.

Paul Woods
07-02-2008, 19:27
lads i had a browse across to the rangerover owners forum and would you believe i found this....

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2008/02/65.jpg

Paul Woods
07-02-2008, 19:28
hows that for a new fucking homepage pic lol

MRV6
07-02-2008, 22:01
Hmmm it's that why his car is shagged or is he giving it a rebore.

loadswine
07-02-2008, 22:07
My original post went something along the lines of : is that pic of Johnny and the caption:- "he thought he'd go after pussy, but all he got was a cat!" lol
or something like that anyway, i had imbibed a beverage or two.:thumbsup:

OlberJ
07-02-2008, 22:40
We've got a new BB t-shirt!

Yasssssss. lol

Goldy
07-02-2008, 22:59
PMSL Laughing so hard at the johnny pic! Feck me that's funny... give that man a spasbo.... i'm rolling on the floor right now lol lol

Anyone else notice this thread going a bit off course?

Sponge Bob
08-02-2008, 09:11
Now that's erotic...!!

(Way off course Goldy ;) )

MRV6
09-02-2008, 20:42
Any update on todays work mate:woods:

Garbe
10-02-2008, 02:16
Thats pic is funny as fu*k lol

Paul Woods
12-02-2008, 18:34
if i may drag my build thread back out of the gutter!

i bought a chrome fuel pressure regulator that also has the pressure gauge built in.... this sits at the end of the 2nd fuel rail... thats pretty much my fuelling taken care of.

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2008/02/94.jpg

biteme
12-02-2008, 18:43
Rising rate?

You using a Walbro?

you're going all out on this aren't you, Mrs Woods?

Switch_Bcn
12-02-2008, 19:13
Good evening gents! I saw that engine lump in the flesh on the weekend, it looks incredible and the level of detail is :fab:

Can't wait to see the results...

loadswine
12-02-2008, 21:19
Nice touch Paul. You going for the digi dash on this one?

Marksman
12-02-2008, 23:46
chrome? :slap:

Owen.

Paul Woods
13-02-2008, 06:47
cheers guy! :thumbsup:

yeah cant beat a bit of bling mr sparks!

johnny its not a RR reg,and im fitting a supra TT pump,flows more than the walbro and without the racket.

Hell yes nigel! got to have the digi dash in there mate! thats one of my fav mods of all time,apart from owen that is :) (see what i did there)

Marksman
13-02-2008, 06:53
:woods:
cringe
cringe
cringe
cringe

repeat until unconscious...

Owen.

Paul Woods
13-02-2008, 06:58
lol is that one of your masturbation sessions owen lol

Marksman
13-02-2008, 07:01
Sounds about right!

Argh, work calls, later chaps,

Owen.

Portgordon
13-02-2008, 19:55
I've missed all this until now!

Excellent work Paul and it's great to hear you getting back on board with your own 2 again - shame Lilly isn't going to be finished though :(

This new mk1 looks like it'll be a little ripper!

What made you go for the 1mz over the 3vz? Surely you havn't ran out of 3vz's already? lol

biteme
13-02-2008, 22:48
I've missed all this until now!

Excellent work Paul and it's great to hear you getting back on board with your own 2 again - shame Lilly isn't going to be finished though :(

This new mk1 looks like it'll be a little ripper!

What made you go for the 1mz over the 3vz? Surely you havn't ran out of 3vz's already? lol

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2008/02/103.jpg

I'm shocked that you think Paul could run out of 3VZ's! There's an infinate supply, you know :)

OlberJ
13-02-2008, 22:58
I asked the very same question Marc, and it turns out he's a lazy bastard who wanted a S/C. And i quote :

"The TRD jus bolts straight on the 1MZ, no modification whatsoever."

I mean for a man of his skills, wtf? lol

Paul Woods
14-02-2008, 07:18
lol it was more than that,nobody has built a 1mz mk1 in the UK yet,i wanted something different so thats all it was really.

Other engines that i could have got but problems got in the way were...

Noble M12 2.5ltr twin turbo duratec lump
Toyota 2gr-fse 3.5ltr v6 lexus lump
3mz-fe 3.3ltr v6

All had issues in some way or another which wouldnt have been sorted for BB08.... so 1mz it was!

biteme
14-02-2008, 08:43
3MZ would have been fantastic though...

maybe one day eh?

Whore of Babylon
14-02-2008, 08:49
3MZ would have been fantastic though...

maybe one day eh?

what did they come in??

biteme
14-02-2008, 08:51
Applications:

2004-2006 Toyota Camry (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Camry) SE V6
2004- Toyota Camry Solara (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Camry_Solara)
2004-2006 Toyota Sienna (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Sienna)
2003-2007 Toyota Highlander (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Highlander)
2005- Toyota Highlander Hybrid (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Highlander_Hybrid)
2003-2006 Lexus RX 330 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lexus_RX)
2006- Lexus RX 400h (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lexus_RX_400h)
2004-2006 Lexus ES 330 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lexus_ES)
2006- Mitsuoka Orochi (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsuoka_Orochi)

Paul Woods
21-02-2008, 18:55
well for anyone else going 1mz in a mk1 and buying those tubular manifolds,be aware the rear manifold will need chopping up and reshaping a tadge.... it hits the gearbox diff area (or will come very close with the Dp fitted) also it will interfere with the rear crossmember too.

At the mo this only affects limey and moi,but should be noted for future 1mz mk1'ers

biteme
21-02-2008, 19:00
well for anyone else going 1mz in a mk1 and buying those tubular manifolds,be aware the rear manifold will need chopping up and reshaping a tadge.... it hits the gearbox diff area (or will come very close with the Dp fitted) also it will interfere with the rear crossmember too.

At the mo this only affects limey and moi,but should be noted for future 1mz mk1'ers

Is it a drastic reshaping Paul? You maintaining the pipe width?

Paul Woods
21-02-2008, 19:11
yeah it looks like it might be a total redesign of the rear bank mani... not hard for me to do,it will need a slight redirect if fitted to a mk2 1mz as well,but not as much as a mk1 1mz.

Limeymk1
22-02-2008, 11:06
In a word ARSE. Fancy redoing mine for me Paul? :pray:

OlberJ
22-02-2008, 11:43
In a word ARSE. Fancy redoing mine for me Paul? :pray:

:hand: :ghey: lol

Limeymk1
22-02-2008, 11:55
FFS you have the dirtiest friggin' mind Olie. http://star.walagata.com/w/limeymk1/Gifs/leright.gif

Paul Woods
22-02-2008, 18:22
yeah when i know whats needed for mine i will redesign yours too chris

superchargedsam
22-02-2008, 23:03
limey u walked into that one fella gotta be said, this is TB after all and if it hadnt been olie would of been johnny or phil or paul or nik or...erm.....anyone on here lol!

Paul Woods
23-02-2008, 17:25
today being a saturday i got a few hours work done on her.... i dummy fitted the engine and managed to weld my engine mount plates in....

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2008/02/219.jpg

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2008/02/220.jpg

these need the top plates welding in and seam sealing/painting but you get the idea.... ive also noticed the 1mz is taller than the 3vz and needs to sit 1" lower in the engine bay.

Here ive had to cut the rear crossmember,im notching it out so it clears the rear exhaust manifold which will have to be redone itself to clear... work i was not expecting but hey ho...

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2008/02/221.jpg

OlberJ
23-02-2008, 19:03
Are you gonna recreate that crossmember sumwhere or is it strong enough as is?

Paul Woods
23-02-2008, 19:06
yeah the new crossmember will sit just behind the factory one just before the ARB,so all ive done is put a kick in the member... plenty strong

OlberJ
23-02-2008, 19:08
kewlio, you decided what exhaust you're going for on this one?

weegaz22
23-02-2008, 19:13
has to be one bank per tailpipe dont it.:thumbsup:

OlberJ
23-02-2008, 19:15
Only thing with that is, there's no much room for silencers.

Or jus take the Johnny method and don't bother lol

snowtigger
23-02-2008, 21:37
glad i didn't come down today as i would not like to interrupt a genius at work as i get bloody customers mythering me when I'm trying to do some thing technical.

Paul Woods
24-02-2008, 10:20
im going to build my own exhaust,i want to get the note just right :thumbsup:

biteme
24-02-2008, 10:47
You going for single exit or dual exit Mr W?

Paul Woods
24-02-2008, 11:11
dual exit suits the V image best i think,dont ask me why! so im going dual

biteme
24-02-2008, 11:19
you working it like mine is with one pipe per bank?

Paul Woods
24-02-2008, 11:23
no,balls to that...i want to keep my neighbours happy!

biteme
24-02-2008, 11:37
Shove a couple of silencers on there as well then! You silly boy :P

snowtigger
24-02-2008, 11:38
No, balls no, glory?.

And yes ive just got up so half asleep !!!!!!!!!!!!.

A mate of mine at a motor factors is selling short silencers that i think im going to try on mine as they sound is not loud but burbbly and they are only 79 quid each with vat .

Paul Woods
24-02-2008, 11:40
and no punctuation :)

Marksman
24-02-2008, 11:41
Hang on Paul, Snowtigger's last post had more than yours. :slap:

Owen.

Paul Woods
24-02-2008, 11:58
oh the irony! :)

MRV6
24-02-2008, 12:10
I've no balls!! I have to sit down for a pi55!

We've noticed.

biteme
24-02-2008, 12:50
Did you see him every 12 minutes, when you went to the bog as well?

MRV6
24-02-2008, 12:59
Did you see him every 12 minutes, when you went to the bog as well?

We shared the same cubicle mate.

Limeymk1
25-02-2008, 15:11
yeah when i know whats needed for mine i will redesign yours too chris

Cheers Paul, much appreciated. :praise2: :thumbsup:

Quick question did you use the V6 Jig to put the mounts in? Just wondering if there was any scope for moving the engine forward to avoid chopping the brace. :hmm:

Paul Woods
25-02-2008, 18:22
no chris the 1mz needed to sit in a completely different place to the 3vz,it sits lower too (well the gearbox needs to) seems its a slightly taller engine.

If you mount it too far forward there will be gear cable issues...and mounting it further back is better for driveshaft angles,so cutting the rear member and modifying the rear exhaust manifold is the lesser of two evils considering what you would need to do to get the cables working.

Im building a mk1 1mz jig off this car if you want to wait for it? If you mount the engine further forward the front manifold will hit the bulkhead.... its a wider engine too!

pistol pete
25-02-2008, 18:25
top job there paul as always cannot wait to see/here it going

Limeymk1
26-02-2008, 11:11
no chris the 1mz needed to sit in a completely different place to the 3vz,it sits lower too (well the gearbox needs to) seems its a slightly taller engine.

If you mount it too far forward there will be gear cable issues...and mounting it further back is better for driveshaft angles,so cutting the rear member and modifying the rear exhaust manifold is the lesser of two evils considering what you would need to do to get the cables working.

Im building a mk1 1mz jig off this car if you want to wait for it? If you mount the engine further forward the front manifold will hit the bulkhead.... its a wider engine too!

Cheers for the info Paul, :thumbsup: how long do you think you'll be knocking up the jig? I've earmarked the bankholiday for putting the engine in. :jump:

Paul Woods
26-02-2008, 13:16
i wont be jig making until next week,ive just got too much on,but its yours when its done :thumbsup:

Limeymk1
26-02-2008, 13:23
Sweet, that'd be seriously useful mate! Would mean I'd only have to hire an engine hoist for a couple of days as opposed to a week.:thumbsup:

Paul Woods
28-02-2008, 07:56
chris i made the 1mz into mk1 jig yesterday bud,it uses tonys 1mz drivers mount in case you havent got one already.

I can parcel it up whenever you are ready,drop me a pm with your address again.

Paul Woods
28-02-2008, 07:58
oh i should add to make tonys mount work in a mk1 with 1mz i needed to put a spacer plate between the mount and the mk2 mount,not tonys fault its just a mk1 chassis leg issue,takes 2 mins to drill a piece of steel to make the spacer

Paul Woods
16-03-2008, 12:26
i havent had any time to work on the car recently,bit of a backlog at the garage etc... anyway heres what i did last time,the rear crossmember fouls on the stainless header kit i got from the states,it was going to foul on the stock manifold anyway so this mod was needed regardless.

I cut out the section of crossmember that was offending and ive made an angle iron frame with the new "kink" in it to help clear the manifold....

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2008/03/211.jpg

this then gets plated on all four sides,ive also welded a captive nut into the kink for the rear torque mount.

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2008/03/212.jpg

this will look spot on when im done,early days!

Despite this kink i will still need to chop and reweld my stainless header but not by as much as before.

loadswine
16-03-2008, 12:54
Brutal and clever! :thumbsup:

1mzmk1
16-03-2008, 19:07
Serious stuff! Im at the same point with my swap using the same headers, i had better get cutting then. I'll be interested to see how you have redesigned the rear manifold, it just clears the diff casing as is on my setup so im happy to leave that where it is, but i would like to get the two offending tubes back in a little closer to the block

Paul Woods
16-03-2008, 19:17
you will find it may or may not clear the driveshaft inner CV joint if you are going NA gearbox and shafts though bud... it looks a little close to me which is why im going celica supported shaft :thumbsup:

If only the rear header was the same design as the front one in that kit eh?

1mzmk1
16-03-2008, 21:41
ah, im using a turbo box/supported shaft so no probs there. Like you say it would be great if it were the same as the other side, save us a bit of fabbing. Cant grumble for the money tho i suppose!

Paul Woods
17-03-2008, 06:43
indeed mate,not bad for the money,just a shame it all wont cram into a mk1 bay,i think it will be tight on the rear firewall/subframe in a mk2 as well

are you having your fuel rails machined to make them a return style?

1mzmk1
17-03-2008, 08:57
Ive got to admit i was going to try and fit the camry pump and regulator in the tank mainly because im too lazy to find another pump, and also i thought if it all runs in the camry, then it should all run in the mk1. Thinking about it now, its only going to cause probs later on if i do decide to go down the stand-alone route as you mentioned earlier in this thread. Its a pain in the arse as ive already had the fuel rails out to clean the injectors, if i had thought i should have tapped them out then. incidentally...the injectors were done in a little ultrasonic cleaning tank from maplin, on offer at 22 quid until tomorrow!

spot
29-03-2008, 10:55
hi paul have you found that earthing point on the ecu for the manual gearbox setting?? ickle diagram would b nice cheers mate

Paul Woods
29-03-2008, 17:16
hi mate,its all in this thread http://www.mr2.com/forums/mk-2-v6/Toyota-MR2-24796-1mz-auto-manual-earthing-wire.html

i havent got round to my wiring yet so i havent confirmed this one way or the other,have a read of that thread and examine your ecu plugs to see if that makes

Conor
29-03-2008, 18:19
Ive got to admit i was going to try and fit the camry pump and regulator in the tank mainly because im too lazy to find another pump, and also i thought if it all runs in the camry, then it should all run in the mk1. Thinking about it now, its only going to cause probs later on if i do decide to go down the stand-alone route as you mentioned earlier in this thread. Its a pain in the arse as ive already had the fuel rails out to clean the injectors, if i had thought i should have tapped them out then. incidentally...the injectors were done in a little ultrasonic cleaning tank from maplin, on offer at 22 quid until tomorrow!
Unless you have strict smog rules to follow (are external FPRs allowed?), then absolutely do not bother with trying to cram the FPR in the gas tank with your fuel pump. Total waste of time as it makes it a huge paint in the ass to fit through the tiny hole. Twice now, I've had various hoses come loose on my rigged setup inside the tank. Horribly frustrating to have to drop a fuel tank with a V6 installed in the car.

So.. if at all possible, run a normal external FPR and re-use the fuel return line on the Mk.1 :)

When I do my own 1.6, I will be using a 3VZFE for this very reason (among others). California is not lenient on what you can modify for smog testing, so the VZ is just a better all around choice for me..

Paul Woods
17-05-2008, 16:50
well ive still been plugging away for a few hours each saturday morning on this,i dont get much done but it is at least progress.... ive fitted a nearside vent to it and created a tunnel going through to the engine bay,so its not just decorative....this will get blended in when the bodywork gets tackled in 2020.

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2008/05/188.jpg

Also ive chosen the colour for it,i wanted a silver that wasnt as flat as the factory mk1 silver,but still a toyota colour (im like that) so i found a gorgeous colour called "quicksilver fx" thats found on supras....

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2008/05/189.jpg

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2008/05/190.jpg

so thats the colour she's going to end up,i already bought half a litre of it and applied it to the engine bay,although as per usual my camera hasnt done the colour justice,it looks way better in the flesh....

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2008/05/191.jpg

the bay is now 100% ready for the engine too

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2008/05/192.jpg

Also today i stripped my NA gearbox down and installed my mk3 LSD unit,the only one in the country like this at the moment i believe....

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2008/05/193.jpg

Next weekend im fitting this engine for good.

biteme
17-05-2008, 16:53
Also today i stripped my NA gearbox down and installed my mk3 LSD unit,the only one in the country like this at the moment i believe....

We know that's not true, Paul - it's obviously been done before ;)

jasper
17-05-2008, 16:53
Is there a reason for using the NA box with Mk3 LSD rather than the Mk2 LSD box?

OlberJ
17-05-2008, 16:54
This is also a new prototype of stopping Mk1's rusting, Paul's rebuilt his engine bay out of tin foil. lol

Seriously it does look pretty nice in the flesh, will be brammer when the whole car's done.

:thumbsup:

OlberJ
17-05-2008, 16:55
Is there a reason for using the NA box with Mk3 LSD rather than the Mk2 LSD box?

Aye, the tubby's heavier and longer geared.

Actual Mk2 LSD N/A box? Mythical methinks.

loadswine
17-05-2008, 17:10
Paul and I spent ages trying to track down a Mk2 NA box before my swap and came up empty, so this is a great way of getting LSD with that tranny.
Hoping to go this way myself at some point.
That prep work looks fantastic Paul, I'm amazed that you've managed to find any time at all , with the amount of cars going through Woodsport.
This will be a real corker when its done!

biteme
17-05-2008, 17:14
Nige, I fear it might be one that gets added to the list of mk1's I like!

loadswine
17-05-2008, 17:25
Wow!!! Its THAT good? lol

Paul Woods
17-05-2008, 17:28
Nige, I fear it might be one that gets added to the list of mk1's I like!
.... but wont fit into.... :)

mart1975
17-05-2008, 17:31
is the fuel filler going to be the same as lily?

biteme
17-05-2008, 17:34
.... but wont fit into.... :)

I will if I take my wallet out my pocket - as you'll be taking a shiteload out of it :(

aek
17-05-2008, 17:55
Its great to read about other mk1 project, you always learn something new. Putting a mk3 LSD into the NA box its great news..and its much lighter than the mk2turbo box and its easier to find....

biteme
17-05-2008, 17:57
Remember, AEK, the mk3 box doesn't ALWAYS have the LSD. Only the UK boxes have them as standard...

OlberJ
17-05-2008, 18:03
Think an N/A box would handle the V8? lol

biteme
17-05-2008, 18:07
I'd like to see how it handles the turbo ...

OlberJ
17-05-2008, 18:08
3SGTE?

Think that might be happenin soon.