PDA

View Full Version : Broke a fecking Nut/bolt(its really a thread with no head How do i remove the chunk?

Zip
30-11-2007, 09:22
Today i went out to the car to have a look at the engine because of 2 reasons, It wasnt driving well yesterday and I wanted to see what needs to be done to take the plastic cover off.

I popped to bonnet to come accorss an over flowing Coolant expansion tank and a bone dry Radiator!>:[

So ive went on a hunt for a bloody blockage and on my way i snapped a bloody screw:rant:

Now how do i fix it? Half of its still in there and it doesnt have a bottem on it?

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2007/11/198.jpg

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/images/recovered/2007/11/199.jpg

As you can see the top screw is half gone.

How am i going to remove this now? <:(

Limeymk1
30-11-2007, 09:54
Give it a good clean with a wire brush then soak overnight in penetrating oil, PlusGas, Duckoil or other penetrating oil (Halfrauds sell 3in1 oil which is good). Grip the protruding end with a set of mole grips and unscrew.

Just be glad you've got something to get hold of, they're a royal PITA when they break off flush to the surface.

podge
30-11-2007, 09:55
if youve got a mole grip try that make sure you clamp it up real tight and plenty of release oil first and leave it for a hour or two to penetrate

Zip
30-11-2007, 09:56
How do i soak it in the oil with out it running everywhere? :eh:

I couldn't believe the metal was so soft:(

Edit: I could be confused with UK names for things but, Its not RP7 or WD40 is it?

podge
30-11-2007, 10:00
it will go everywhare but it wont do any harm just spray it on and leave it

Zip
30-11-2007, 10:01
it will go everywhare but it wont do any harm just spray it on and leave it

Is that also called WD40?

Or is it more heavy duty then that?

podge
30-11-2007, 10:04
wd40 is the fella in question good stuff :thumbsup:

Zip
30-11-2007, 10:07
Ill go drown it now lol

Then go buy some mole grips tomorrow and give myselkf a hernia trying to get it to move :thumbsup:

BTW where would the coolent sytem most likley be blocked, The expansion tank was over flowing but the radiator was empty?

podge
30-11-2007, 10:10
no idea suppose it could be your thermostat but youl just have to check the system out
it does sound like you have a leak somewhare

Zip
30-11-2007, 10:20
Thanks podge, I have 70% chance of knowing where its coming from now :)

Every time i went on a long trip and stopped the car i would notice it dumped some coolant on the road to kill the local kids and cats.
I thought it could just me over flow or something but now im guessing its leaking down near the front around bottem radiator hose.

Ive also had the bloody problem of rad weld messing with the coolent system aswell from the last owner

millentubby
30-11-2007, 11:47
Zip - make sure your coolant expansion bottle cap is round the right way.

Also bleed the system fully and make sure all the air is out of it :)

Zip
30-11-2007, 11:53
Will do millentubby :)

I have toput back all the expansion bottle and pipes anyway because i took them off to check for blockages or signs of crap in them:)

Zip
01-12-2007, 06:49
Ok its 37 bloody Degrees down here and i did it right in the hottest part of the bloody day!

About 50 or so swears and mumbles later and i managed to get it out with the biggest mole clamp i had :)

And it must have been one of the pipes i took of yesterday and cleaned that was blocking it up because its all running well now :)(im guessing the heater matrix one because that had some fair bit of crap come out)

Thanks for the help guys :thumbsup: